Sign in with
Your question

Building computer and it turns off after a couples seconds

Last response: in Systems
September 29, 2012 9:23:55 PM

Okay so i built my new computer and when i tried to start it up it turns on for a couple of seconds then turns off and will keep doing this cycle until i turn it off i disassembled it and have ressembled it and it still has the same problem i don't know what is wrong with it and nothing pops up on the moniter when i try to run it.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 29, 2012 9:57:53 PM

So may things could be wrong - post your system's components.

Bad RAM often creates the condition you describe. You might want to try removing all but 1 stick of RAM and try that. If no go, then take out the stick you used first and use another to see if it will start.

A bad/too small power supply can also cause the problem.
m
l
September 29, 2012 10:30:49 PM

Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
MSI Z77A-GD55 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 2GB Video Card
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case
Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply
Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer
COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120 R4-L2R-20AG-R2 120mm Silent operation Green LED case fan x3

I've removed it down to 2 sticks of ram and that didn't change anything.
Another piece of info i forgot to add is that it has the Bios beeps but it doesnt pop up on the screen or anything and my neighbor said it was probably a faulty Motherboard
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 29, 2012 10:45:41 PM

could be a few things..first off ceck that you uses the brass mb stand offs.if not you could be shorting out the mb. a first time build ops is people forget to connect the 4/8 pin atx power plug with the 24 pin power. or instead of using the 4 /8 pin pci power plug they use a 6plus 2 pci power cable. for the video card. (not wired the same). i would pull the video card and try and post with onboard video only. i would also on the case header cables check that you uses the adaptor that came with the mb so that all the pins are on right. a lot of people screw up on the reset and led wires placements. for a first time building it better to try a bread board post first to see if you connected everything right outside the case. the last issue and it a bugger is bent pin under the cpu. if in shipping a pin gets bent or when you snap the cpu down it can mash a pin or two. you need a good flashlight and a magnifier glass to see if there a bent pin. if it not a dead short issue. also on most new mb that have ipgpu there set to boot from them first not the gpu unless you can see and change it in the bios.
m
l
Related resources
!