Intel G540

Would the Intel G540 2.5 GHz be sufficient enough to play games on ultra at 1440x900 with the GTX 550 Ti? Because I read that Battlefield 3 (singleplayer) is playable at 1280x1024 on ultra settings with 4xMSAA and everything on (except the motion blur), but I am not so sure because I think the CPU might be a bottleneck for the GPU at that resolution. I won't play any CPU demanding titles, like StarCraft II, mostly, I will be playing older games, like Call of Duty 4 (multiplayer)... Would this CPU be good enough for my needs? Right now, I don't have enough money for a better CPU, like the i3, I thought I would spend about 6 months before I buy the i3. Thanks.
11 answers Last reply
More about intel g540
  1. Celeron is not reccomended for gaming.i suggest g860,g 2020 pentium cpu.
  2. ASHISH65 said:
    Celeron is not reccomended for gaming.i suggest g860,g 2020 pentium cpu.

    As I said, I don't have money for anything higher than the G540 (well, maybe the G550, which is almost like the G620, with 1MB L3 cache less)
  3. Then get g620 or g630 is better than any celeron.L3 cache is usefull.i suggest get atleast g630.
  4. ASHISH65 said:
    Then get g620 or g630 is better than any celeron.L3 cache is usefull.i suggest get atleast g630.

    Even the G620 is out of my budget. I have seen people gaming with the G550 (or G540) and I didn't see any lag whatsoever. But, then again, I am not sure, if those results are true. The G550 should be close to E7500 when comes to gaming (maybe a little bit better).
  5. Yes it is close to e7500.then it think it will fine.you will get around 40-55 fps at ultra at bf3 (no AA and vsync to off).go with g550.
  6. ASHISH65 said:
    Yes it is close to e7500.then it think it will fine.you will get around 40-55 fps at ultra at bf3 (no AA and vsync to off).go with g550.

    Well, good enough for me... btw, in Battlefield 3 right now I am getting about 22-40 FPS, average about 27, with the GTX 550 Ti and E5300 2.6 GHz, everything on ultra, 4xMSAA, 1440x900, because of the bottleneck, so I think, that with the G550 I should see an improvement, and avg FPS about 30-40... or am I wrong?
  7. ASHISH65 said:
    Yes it is close to e7500.then it think it will fine.you will get around 40-55 fps at ultra at bf3 (no AA and vsync to off).go with g550.

    But the G550 will be an imrpovement over the E5300, right?
  8. Yes i think you able to get.with my g645 and hd 7750 at 1366*768 in single player i get 50-60 fps( 2x aa).gtx 550ti is slight faster than hd 7750.
  9. ASHISH65 said:
    Yes i think you able to get.with my g645 and hd 7750 at 1366*768 in single player i get 50-60 fps( 2x aa).gtx 550ti is slight faster than hd 7750.

    I'll be getting almost the same FPS, right? But I will try with 4xMSAA...
  10. Mostly same fps or may at 48-50fps
  11. As g540 has 2.4 ghz and g645 has 2.9ghz so +500mhz will boost fps!
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel