Sign in with
Your question

Switched case now no beep

Last response: in Systems
September 29, 2012 9:37:30 PM

Hi all

First timer here. I'm not a complete novice - been messing with my own PCs for a good 20 years now - I've successfully switched memory, hard drives, cd roms, psus, individually but I've just done my first full case swap - so basically a fully working system, ive taken apart and put back into a new case piece by piece.

I think i got everything - the psu is on, there's 4 lights on the MoBo, the GPU's fan is whirring, but i dont get a system beep and I notice the CPU fan is not running.

I read something about "shorting the mobo" to get it running - i'm wondering if there is something basic I'm missing to get it fired up?

I understand perhaps I've shorted the whole lot? Maybe the 12v power molex has gone?

I unplugged everything bar the gpu and mobo and this made no difference - even dropped the ram down to 1 stick.

I do notice that i need to like press an hold the power 3 times before it turns on.

Is my only hope a new PSU. Could I have blown the CPU?

Thanks!

More about : switched case beep

a b B Homebuilt system
September 29, 2012 9:45:47 PM

most times it a dead short issue. one of the standoffs is missings or on the new case the mb or cpu heat sink is shorting out or it the oi sheild shorting out. try bread boarding the mb outside the case. also chech that the 24 pin atx plug is in all the way and the 4/8 pin atx plug is connected.
September 29, 2012 9:59:52 PM

OK so I've just been adding the standoffs - now the board starts first power depress, the 4 lights come on the Mobo then go off after a few seconds.

the first time i tried the cpu fan turned for a bit, but not since.
Related resources
September 29, 2012 10:10:48 PM

24 pin & 4/8 pin look good, same behaviour with board outside of case..

MoBo lights go off after 4 secs and no CPU fan action. I have since removed the gpu also.
September 29, 2012 10:19:59 PM

OK so the fact i didnt use these stand offs first time round, when u someone says "shorted mobo" does that mean fried = dead?
a b B Homebuilt system
September 29, 2012 10:43:22 PM

I have 3 pc's right here. I push the button and they all start and run fine........... not one of them gives the "traditional" beep on start up.

the lights are probably idiot lights that ( I guess if you looked for the data ) should show an error if the machine didn't boot....... mobo idiot lights. My Gigabyte board has them. maybe they all do but the GIG board's are brighter and more noticeable.
September 29, 2012 11:00:36 PM

Actually im just back from putting everything back together...im booting, with beep :) 

Only thing is, the CPU fan is still dormant - u think this is the thing that fried?
a b B Homebuilt system
September 29, 2012 11:12:22 PM

don't run it without a fan operating.

check the BIOS for fan control and auto shut down temps.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 29, 2012 11:12:45 PM

check the cpu fan...you may have pissed the pins and cause a dead short..if the mb sees a dead short it wont post. make sure the cpu fan plugged into the cpu fan port and not a speaker port :)  on some mb if there no cpu fan the system wont post.
September 29, 2012 11:21:02 PM

Might have got lucky, ive switched the cpu fan cable to a spare alt fan slot on the mobo and its running again...

just "missing bootmgr" to sort now...it wasnt seeing all 3 of my HDs, its seeing the one with windows but thats for another day!
!