Reference or non reference design for GPU

donsrbin

Honorable
May 21, 2012
This might sound like a stupid question, but please hear me out:

A PC cooling needs airflow, the cold air enters on front and side, exits on back and top (in most cases)

So, my question is: I have a referent cooled 8800 gts 512, and it sucks air from within the case, blows it tough the GPU and pushes the hot air out the case on the back. So, it doesn't mess with the case airflow, and it never goes over 60 degrees, even under full overclocked load.

I saw a lot of people say that on non referent cards, with two or three fans, the card is cooled better, but such cooling method doesn't push the hot air out of case, but rather the air just "bounces off the graphics" and goes back into the case, and therefore messes up with case airflow, which is most important for all around PC cooling.

and non referent coolers are still better and wanted more than the referent coolers. Can someone explain me this "paradox"?

Where does the airflow go in non-reference cards?

Like I said, it might be a stupid question, or I'm missing something here?

It doesn't do that with every case and the reason the non-reference is prefer is because IMO there better here how i see it the reference cards
Pros
+Cheaper
+Often use centrifugal fans to exhaust heat out of the case
+More vendors to choose from
+More readily available
Cons
-Are often ugly looking lol
- run hotter than non-reference cards
-Don't overclock as high (usually)
-Are noisy

donsrbin

Honorable
May 21, 2012

Okay, I agree with everything you've said above, but what about the hot air that comes back to the case, rather than going outside in the non-reference cards?

+Often use centrifugal fans to exhaust heat out of the case

This is my interest. Non-reference cards don't do this... Where does the airflow go in non-reference cards?

strandiam

Honorable
May 9, 2012
It mostly depends on your case cooling. If your case has enough good fans then it will move the redistributed air from the non-reference cards fine. If you have a cheap case with one installed fan, then you are probably better off with the reference designs.

+1

donsrbin

Honorable
May 21, 2012

I have a month old Cooler Master Haf 912+ case, so I should be good. Right?

strandiam

Honorable
May 9, 2012

I think it would be fine. It comes with two fans so if you feel like it you could add a third, but tons of people have comparable cases and cards with non-reference coolers so you probably won't have any troubles.

donsrbin

Honorable
May 21, 2012

I added a 2000 RPM 12x12cm on the side, it cools like crazy, so I think I should be fine.

Thanks guys :)