BACKLIT KEYBOARD

palealemale

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Hello,
I purchased a HP ENVY DV6-7210us recently and it did not come with a backlit keyboard. i know the 7200 series can have a backlit keyboard if you build one at hp.com. does anyone know if i can make mine light up by replacing the keyboard? and any idea where i could find a backlit keyboard ?

ocmusicjunkie

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

It isn't cheap, but the Logitech K800 the best keyboard I've ever owned by far. It's not even close. Backlight is perfect for at night, wireless range is excellent, and the keystrokes are crisp, short and quiet. It also is nice and slim if you like to occasionally sit the thing on your lap or move it around. The only keyboard I've ever had that came close to feeling as natural is the Microsoft Arc, but that's a mini layout and isn't backlit.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Illuminated-Keyboard-K800/dp/B003VAGXWK

ittimjones

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012
No. you will not be able to just replace your laptop's keyboard with a backlit one if it's not an option for that model. You can get an external one that is backlit (there are plenty of those on the market), but you cannot make ur existing laptop have a backlit keyboard.

citizenOfTheWorld

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
I bought dv6-7009tx and disappointed with non-backlit keyboard.
So, download the manual for dv6-7009tx, browsed to parts listing in manual, found serial number for the backlit version.

Do web search based on serial number, confirm it has additional connector, order it.

Then install myself, lucky my mobo has backlit connector to power the backlit.

Hope it helps.

deadzoo

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
I respectfully disagree with ittimjones, I have not personally removed the keyboard on palealemale`s machine, but I`m sure the DV6-7210 has the 4-pin connector on the motherboard necessary to power a led keyboard. HP part-682081-001 is the US backlit keyboard that you will need for a DV6-7xxx.

On a side note, even the DV6-1xxx and DV6-2xxx have the 4-pin connector, beside it have the letters "KB LIGHT" and "BL KB" respectively, but to my knowledge HP has never officially offered a model of either series with an illuminated keyboard.