TikiTantrum

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
System:
CPU: Intel i5-2400 3.10ghz
Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/GEN3
Graphics Card: PNY VCGGTX560XPB GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3

System has been running well for about four months since I made some upgrades. Now I am getting seemingly random reboots. Went into systems settings and unchecked "Automatic Restart" that stopped them mostly, still happens from time to time.

Ran Memtest for about four hours and it said no errors.

I can't find a crash log, if it's making one I don't know where it is. Searched for ".dmp" came up with nothing.

Any other thoughts? Would love to get this figured out.

make sure your running the newest asus mb bios. the z77 chipset have had updates for ram and cpu code and for windows 8.
start with hardware monitor check your temps and power supply voltages. run memtest overnight to see if you have a bad stick of ram. if memtest passes try running prime95 and see if it hangs. also make sure if your running firefox it updated and so is java. there a bug where nvidia drivers and java hard lock on older version of firefox.

TikiTantrum

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I've updated my BIOS, it needed it. Also did some other updating on some drivers. Made sure Firefox and Java are up to date. I will run memtest tonight. At the moment the reboots are still happening. Here is a screen grab of my system monitoring application.
systemmonitorv.jpg

with that up try running prime95 and see if the voltages hold. if it not a temp issue causing a random reboot..it could be a power issue..the power supply dropping voltage or ac ripple. also check to see if the outlet is grounded if you have an older home and that nothing like an ac or fridge is on the same circuit. with fridge or wall ac unit when the compressor turns on there can be a voltage drop (see your light blink or dim). the drop in voltage may be just what causing your pc to reboot.

TikiTantrum

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Ran memtest overnight, no errors.
Ran prime95 while watching system monitor, no real change in voltages and cpu temp stayed around 70*c.
Yep, all outlets in house are grounded.

No random reboot yet today. My psu is more than a few years old (one of the holdovers from system upgrade) it's a Rosewill RD400-2-DB. If the likely cause of the reboots is fluctuating power, well I guess I'm due for an upgrade...

TikiTantrum

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Just got first reboot in a few days while playing a game. Seems like your guess of gpu having something to do with this is right. Do you think this is a problem with the psu or gpu? I would rather replace the power supply than get a new vid card.

TikiTantrum

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Got a new PSU, a Corsair CX500. All seems to be running properly at the moment. Ran a video game at high settings for an hour with no problems, would have led to a reboot within minutes before. Seems my old psu had reached it's end.