New heatsink causes CPU Fan Error

gulex

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
I've just installed my Gemini II sf524 in place of my old stock heatsink. My specs are as follows:
i5 3570k
Geforce GTX 670
8 gigs Corsair Vengeance
Corsair HX750
P8z77-V
My question here is two fold with the overarching theme of CPU temperature.

When i start my computer i get a 'CPU Fan Error'. According to the BIOS + HWMonitor it runs at some 400 RPM. It doesn't seem right though since my system is running at 30 degrees Celcius when idle. My GPU + motherboard also both run at 30-33C when idle. This is confirmed using RealTemp, Coretemp and the BIOS itself. I've been told that the RPM ratings can be bogus, hence i've tried both disabling the error in the BIOS and later lowering the RPM threshold. My problem is that this doesn't seem to register since it'll happily give me the very same error message upon the following boot up. Any thought on this? This requires me to boot up from BIOS to actually gain access to my HDD.

Secondly, I've definitely seen a drop in temperatures using my new cooling but the individual core temperatures seem very uneven. Right now they run at #0: 34C, #1: 29C, #2: 21C and #3: 23C(idle) The variance annoys me in an OCD kind of way since my Core 0 consistently stays above 30C. The variance in temperature will be up to 14C at times between hottest and coolest core. While the temps seem fine the variance seems weird. Is it normal?

On a sidenote: I can upvote people reddit-style in here but i cannot find the 'best answer' button. I would like to give people the fake internet points they (at least) deserve for being so immensely helpful :)

Is the CPU fan 3 pin or 4 pin? Can you adjust the fan speeds in BIOS? Lastly are you sure you have the CPU fan plugged into the CPU fan header not one of the other fan headers? Overall those temps seem fine. If it boots into Windows and isn't overheating I would just ignore the error.

gulex

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
I can't ignore it since it refuses to boot with the error. I have to go into BIOS instead and manually make it boot up from the HDD.

It's 4-pin and i put it in the Optional Connector. I'll try the other one. Thanks for the suggestion.

unclewebb

Sep 11, 2007
The CPU fan definitely needs to go into the CPU fan header on the motherboard to avoid fan errors in the bios.

I find my idle temps are a lot more consistent from core to core when I have the C3 / C6 core and package C States enabled.

Intel sensors are not 100% accurate and can have +/- 5C of error. When you combine this with the fact that core temperatures of a lightly loaded CPU can change instantly, the amount of difference you are seeing is perfectly normal so no worries. You're better off just watching the CPU package temperature which compares all of the core sensors and reports the highest temperature.

RealTemp T|I Edition
http://www.overclock.net/t/1330144/realtemp-t-i-edition

What do you mean optional connector? You have to plug the CPU fan into the CPU fan header to avoid having problems.

gulex

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
I plugged the fan into the CPU_Fan instead and now i don't get error messages upon boot up anymore. In retrospect this should've been obvious to me. Thanks for pointing it out, everybody.