Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is a phenom II x4 good for 6770 crossfire?

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Crossfire
  • Phenom
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 9, 2012 2:08:46 PM

Hey guys :hello: 

Im getting ready to put together a mid range gaming rig that should be good for the next 2 or so years, my goal is to be play watchdogs on high settings :D . Now my issue is that im not completely sure that the Phenom II x4 945 can run 2 6770s in crossfire without bottle necking one of them. One card will be in a pcie x16 slot but will be running at x4 speed, the other at full x16, but i have read that doesn't harm performance of cards till you get into the 6850 or 6870. My personal thoughts are that the cpu should be good to go.

More about : phenom good 6770 crossfire

August 9, 2012 2:54:50 PM

no this is NOT GOOD FOR TWO YEARS....
the CPU or the HD 6770 in CF-X.
both weak..
m
0
l
August 9, 2012 5:06:45 PM

Should be alright. The Phenom II chips are very powerful.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 9, 2012 5:09:50 PM

^
you try it.. :/ 
m
0
l
August 9, 2012 5:25:47 PM

The phenom II isn't going to bottleneck two 6770's... bottlenecking in crossfire starts once you get past the HD 6850 (roughly) for Phenom II X4's. That said, this computer will be able to play any games that come out in the next 2 years, but definitely NOT on highest settings, or at super duper high resolutions. If you're okay playing games at medium ish settings, that rig will work fine. For example, my old desktop now server with 2GB DDR, an Athlon XP 3000+, and a Radeon X1300 Pro (hardware from 2003) can play Crysis fine, I just have to put all the settings on low.
m
0
l
August 9, 2012 5:31:11 PM

Well, there's nothing really wrong with a PII 945; People give the aging PIIs a bad rap, but they seem to forget that they were plenty powerful for their time. They traded blows with the first generation Core i5s and older Core 2 Quads. Here's a rather outdated chart (hope Tom's gets on updating them at some point): http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/desktop-cpu-charts-2...

My concern is more that X4 PCIe slot. I wouldn't be comfortable using Xfire on that.
m
0
l
August 9, 2012 6:56:05 PM

verbalizer said:
no this is NOT GOOD FOR TWO YEARS....
the CPU or the HD 6770 in CF-X.
both weak..

2 6770s= a performance equal to or even better than( with a OC) a 6970...and everyone knows here that a 6970 is not a weak card.
m
0
l
August 9, 2012 6:59:24 PM

edgewood112358 said:
The phenom II isn't going to bottleneck two 6770's... bottlenecking in crossfire starts once you get past the HD 6850 (roughly) for Phenom II X4's. That said, this computer will be able to play any games that come out in the next 2 years, but definitely NOT on highest settings, or at super duper high resolutions. If you're okay playing games at medium ish settings, that rig will work fine. For example, my old desktop now server with 2GB DDR, an Athlon XP 3000+, and a Radeon X1300 Pro (hardware from 2003) can play Crysis fine, I just have to put all the settings on low.

So gaming on settings with a mixture of high and medium settings with resolutions below 1600x900? Yah that's sounds perfect. :D . This build is not to max games out, but to be able to stay apart of the gaming community and play the games with decent settings and to be able to record with fraps.
m
0
l
August 9, 2012 9:41:46 PM

whatever, two weak cards together in CF-X driver and compatibility issues, weak interface and 1GB of VRAM.
then non BE weak X4 925 C2 stepping so you can't even run DDR3 1600MHz in full set.
you need a reality check..
m
0
l
August 10, 2012 2:29:23 AM

verbalizer said:
whatever, two weak cards together in CF-X driver and compatibility issues, weak interface and 1GB of VRAM.
then non BE weak X4 925 C2 stepping so you can't even run DDR3 1600MHz in full set.
you need a reality check..

The 6770 is a good mid-rage card. Many reviews have proved that it is worth its money in a BUDGET build. Also i will be using either a 945 or 955 BE, most likely the black edition and both of those cpus handle ddr3 1600 quite well. I dont know why you are hating this build so much, all the reviews i have looked at have said both the cpus and gpus are of good quality and performance. It seams that the community would also agree with me.












m
0
l
August 25, 2012 10:34:06 AM

You know what? I've got a Phenom II X4 965 BE @ stock and the Sapphire HD6950 2GB with 2 20" running off the DVI connections.
Resolution is 3360x1050 (2x 1680x1050)....and you know what?
I can play GTA IV @3360x1050 with absolutely no lag @ 55FPS- 80FPS, so go figure...
The difference in terms of performance between my CPU and your CPU is not great at all.
I really don't think your CPU will bottleneck the GPUs, so go ahead and get the upgrade! Phenoms II X4s are the best CPUs AMD's ever made, unfortunately(because of their age and the lack of performance in their newer products) and fortunately(because we own them! ;)  ) at the same time.
m
0
l
August 25, 2012 1:04:17 PM

verbalizer said:
whatever, two weak cards together in CF-X driver and compatibility issues, weak interface and 1GB of VRAM.
then non BE weak X4 925 C2 stepping so you can't even run DDR3 1600MHz in full set.
you need a reality check..



so when exactly was the last time you ran crossfire and a phenom?
m
0
l
!