david_12

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Hey guys, i am adding a graphics card and i am stuck between the 7970 for xfx (3gb) and the gtx 670 FTW (2gb and overclocked). Which one do you think I should get and why? Thanks

According to the Tom's Hardware Best Graphics Cards for the Money-August 2012, the GTX 670 is the only card recommended in that price range.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-6.html

Quote:
"The GeForce GTX 670 brings Radeon HD 7970-class performance down to a $400 price point. That's an impressive feat considering that AMD's card was selling for $550 a couple of months ago. Moreover, we've seen Nvidia's second-fastest single-GPU board in stock and available for purchase ever since it was introduced. With the Radeon HD 7970 still hovering around $440, the GeForce GTX 670 earns our sole recommendation and takes its place as the high-end value leader."

Well both are great options and beast cards you can't go wrong either way it also depends what games you play The gtx 670 will perform better in games such as BF3, GTA IV, like Skyrim and Fallout 3. It's also quieter, and allows gaming with PhysX and Adaptive VSync. In games such as Dirt 2 and Alien Vs Predator the 7970 would preform better in they pretty much trade blows there no clear winner but the gtx 670 is better bang for buck and i agree with dudewitbow don't get the AMD cards if you are unwilling to overclock them, as their value lies in overclocking.

nacos

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
How far above 1080p? It will perform fine at like 2560x1440 but if.you mean like 5760x1080 then I would get the 7970

Thanks for pointing that out, forgot about the driver versions.

But you do have a point, it all depends on the price.

kit_fox

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
Even though its not what you are considering if your build can wait I would strongly recommend reviewing the benchmarks and price point that come out for the 660 Ti which should be released soon as this could very easily outperform the 670 at a much lower price point.

david_12

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

Do you mean the gtx 660ti will have more performance for the money or just outright be faster than the gtx 670?

kit_fox

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

whoops. just reread my post and have to say i misread 670 as 570 :( Though overclocked im sure the 660ti will be at the same performance level as the 670 depending on if the auther intends to overclock the 670 or not.

david_12

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

oh the gtx 670 i'm getting is a evga FTW edition so it's already overclocked some

redeemer

Distinguished

http://hardocp.com/article/2012/05/14/geforce_680_670_vs_radeon_7970_7950_gaming_perf/4

"Even the GTX 670 overclocked was no matched for the overclocked HD 7970"

That's a very interesting article. Thanks for the link. The rest of that quote is:
"as long as that HD 7970 can reach at least 1200+ MHz."

I also found these quotes interesting:

"It is also worth again noting that AMD has been having trouble this generation keeping up with driver issues and CrossFireX support. For the first four months of the Radeon HD 7970 there wasn't even an "official" driver. NVIDIA on the other hand has been quick to support new hardware with unified drivers at launch of GTX 680. Even with the launch of GTX 690 that driver already supported its next release the GTX 670 so we were able to use publically available drivers from NVIDIA's website for the GTX 670. We've also seen [here] [here] [here] how NVIDIA's SLI is smoother than AMD's CrossFireX, and in every case we've tested so far this generation we prefer SLI over CFX for the best experience. And if you have not been exposed to NVIDIA’s Adaptive VSync Technology, you should give this feature a few moments of your time.

The GeForce GTX 680 represents a tremendous piece of technology that any gamer should love to have in his rig. The GeForce GTX 670 represents what is easily the best value in enthusiast PC gaming GPUs. Pick your poison.

Kyle and I have both been running Radeon HD 7970 configurations in our primary gaming machines for months now and been happy with these solutions. Both of us are now going Green once again."

lol "Kyle and I...." please...

I still agree with Matto, +1 to the 670

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130787

Last week I was considering an upgrade from my gtx 560ti SLi to a single top end gpu, I decided against the upgrade as I want to get some more use out my current config

I was asking myself the same questions that the OP is and If had I chose to upgrade I would probably gotten the above gpu from newegg

It's up to you i don't want to mislead you but let's start with are you asking us to tell you which is better you can get a non-reference 670 btw so i will just say this both are great options and beast cards you can't go wrong either way it also depends what games you play it's understandable that you would be confused. There are a few issues: one) People make claims without backing it up with proof, two) Some people are fans of AMD/ATI some are fans of NVIDIA and sometimes they favor one company over the other so much it makes them blind to the truth so they are in denial and make blanket statements, when the reality is that certain games favor certain hardware, three) People make a few FPS advantage seem like a win when it usually falls within the margin of error and makes no difference in terms of performance.

Your best bet is to always do your own research using the many reliable professional review websites and don't always believe everything reported by random anonymous posters on a public forum as facts.I wish you the best of luck, take care! P.S. If i was you i get me a non-reference 670 OC that mofo like crazy and forget all about the 7970 but remember that is what i would do personally if i was in your shoes not any reason not to go the other route.http://www.overclock.net/t/1265110/the-gtx-670-overclocking-master-guide http://www.overclock.net/t/1265110/the-gtx-670-overclocking-master-guide#post_17391118 if you get a 670 try this tut it goes over EVERYTHING needed for GTX 670 overclcoking and takes into account that each chip is different.

Most people who call it gimmicky trash have never used it and are just paroting what they hear, or caught a 3D movie, that was done the way they usually are (after the fact altering that make it look like cardboard cutouts). When done well, it's amazing.

I've used it, and still use it. If it's an option on an action game, I use it. Crysis 2, Metro 2033, The Witcher 2 and others look spectacular in 3D Vision.

The down side is some people get headaches from it (I don't know the percentage, I think some of it is due to low FPS) and obviously if you have 1 working eye, you won't get the effect.

If you haven't used it, I'd just not mention it. It's a shame when people spread rumor not based on experience.