Sign in with
Your question

CPU Heatsink Fan Burning Smell - Temps Normal

Last response: in CPUs
February 12, 2013 7:16:00 PM

I have a Phenom 965 be with stock heatsink. It has ran perfectly with no problems for around 4-6 months. Recently, I noticed a burning smell coming from my system - it smells like rubber or plastic. Initially, I blamed the PSU and sent it back for repair. I was told there is no fault with the PSU, so I decided to set my system up outside the case to get a better idea of the problem. On closer inspection, it is obvious that the CPU heatsink fan is kicking out this smell of burning rubber/plastic. I tested the temperature of the CPU and all is normal: Idle = 36-40, Gaming = 50-55, Full Load = 60-65. I'm fairly convinced that the CPU itself is not the problem, as it seems to be running like normal. Any ideas what could cause this burning smell? Is it possible that the stock thermal paste could have dried up or burned out and caused this?
a c 146 à CPUs
February 13, 2013 5:02:21 AM

WestonG said:
I have a Phenom 965 be with stock heatsink. It has ran perfectly with no problems for around 4-6 months. Recently, I noticed a burning smell coming from my system - it smells like rubber or plastic. Initially, I blamed the PSU and sent it back for repair. I was told there is no fault with the PSU, so I decided to set my system up outside the case to get a better idea of the problem. On closer inspection, it is obvious that the CPU heatsink fan is kicking out this smell of burning rubber/plastic. I tested the temperature of the CPU and all is normal: Idle = 36-40, Gaming = 50-55, Full Load = 60-65. I'm fairly convinced that the CPU itself is not the problem, as it seems to be running like normal. Any ideas what could cause this burning smell? Is it possible that the stock thermal paste could have dried up or burned out and caused this?

Does it have an acrid smell?
!