Sign in with
Your question

Replacement for 2ZS Platinum

Last response: in Components
February 12, 2013 10:14:08 PM

I am looking for a replacement for my Audigy 2ZS Platinum. I am going to put together a new build with either Crossfire or SLI. (haven't decided on AMD or Nvidia) Well, most boards only have 1 PCI slot now, which the PCI express x16 slots block it. I need a sound card with a PCI express 1x slot interface. I really like the Asus Xonar series.
I have a 5.1 speaker system. I would also like the ability to use my headphones which are on a 1/4 inch, 6.3 mm, jack. The 2ZS platinum has the 5.25 front panel which is really nice. I like the ability to plug my headphones in there. The optical in/out as well as the 1/4 inch input is nice already. While I don't use all the features of that front panel, I am wondering if there is a version of the Xonar that has some of them. My 5.1 system uses a green-orange-black 1/8 inch jacks and as I said, my headphones use a 1/4 inch jack (they can be converted to 1/8 inch). I would like to keep some inputs for recording other than a microphone. I also know that some sound cards will not allow you to have both headphones and speakers playing at the same time. I really don't want to have to plug in/unplug the headphones when I switch between the two. While I am very satisfied with my 2ZS platinum, I really don't want to go with Audigy again. Their drivers have bloatware automatically checked to install, and you have to make sure you uncheck them so they don't install when you install the drivers. (similar to Adobe wanting to install McAffe when you install flash or acrobat reader) What cards do you recommend?
February 12, 2013 11:28:11 PM

xfi titaniumhd for 140$ will do wonders.

m
l
February 12, 2013 11:49:26 PM

No 1/4 inch input, and it's from creative labs.
m
l
Related resources
February 12, 2013 11:53:55 PM

whats ur budget?

m
l
February 13, 2013 4:22:41 AM

Well, I bought the 2ZS for $200 a few years ago. If it is a good enough card, I could spend that much again. Although, I would like between 100-150.
m
l
February 14, 2013 8:21:25 AM

I was looking at that and please excuse my ignorance, but how do you connect 5.1 speakers to that? It has L-R RCA, 1/4 inch out and in and SPDIF ports. I really like the fact that it has 1/4 inch out, but how do I connect my speakers? My speaker system model is the Logitch X-530. They have the Green-Orange-Black 1/8 inch connectors. What kind of conversion components would I need to make those work? The only ones that the card come with are the RCA to 1/8 inch green and the SPDIF to optical.
m
l
February 14, 2013 11:29:31 PM

Not really. It shows to connect them via an optical cable with Optical/SPDIF converter with another piece of expensive equipment. As far as I know, there isn't a converter for the green-orange-black 1/8 inch to optical converter. I think I may just go with the ROG Xonar Phoebus and get a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch converter for my headphones. (Sennheiser HD485) My hardcore gaming days are behind me. I still do some gaming, but my 15 hour Counterstrike sessions are a thing of the past. However, I still notice a big difference, especially with background noise, (hissing/buzzing/crackling) between a proper sound card and onboard sound. In my opinion it is worth it to invest in a good sound card for gaming, just as you would on a good graphics card. On a side note, I don't see the point in maxing a gaming system out, specifically overclocking. To me, it seems silly to risk damage to expensive components to squeeze out 4 extra frames per second when it is already at 55 fps. The human eye can't even detect the difference between 55 and 59 fps. This is why I prefer AMD over Intel and Radeon over Nvidia. Sure, Intel and Nvidia have better performance benchmarks, but IMO it isn't worth the extra money to squeeze out a few more frames per second that you can't really notice unless you look at the performance figures on paper.
m
l
February 15, 2013 12:33:21 AM

that would work also.

m
l
!