Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have so far been unable to play CS on my XP RC2 machine. The only problem I have is severe mouse & movement lag (LAN games included). Funny thing is the problem doesn't exist if I'm standing still (in the game that is hehe). Once I start moving, the mouse/movement lag appears immediately.

Here's some of my attempted & unsuccessful fixes:

> OpenGL & D3D
> PS/2 & USB mouse. Fooled around settings (& the baud settings for PS/2), disabled/enabled various mouse sttings, played with sensitivity/acceleration
> All sorts of Detonators (12 series down to 5 series)
> Running XP with minimum graphics settings (i.e., how pretty it looks)
> Lowering resolution to minimum
> Removing hair from scalp

Well, has anyone been succesful? My system comprises of TNT2/32, 384MB RAM, SBLive value. Damn, CS ran like a dream on my NT4 setup......

Oh, I should add that the single player part of the game (Half-Life) runs absolutely flawlessly.

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

If you loan a friend $20 & never see them again, it was worth it.

G

ditch XP go to win 98 se - perfect for games. or dual boot the 2 xp and 98 and there you go - games system and whatever else system.
Xp has just come out and probably has hundreds of bugs in it. I aint getting it. Then again I'm still on win 95.

If it ain't broke don't fix it
Hardware Central Rules
<A HREF="mailto: techie2000@supanet.com "> techie2000@supanet.com </A>

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, if anyone cares here is the cause. I was using a batch file to start the game in "high" mode rather than "normal", as I've been doing in NT4 for almost 2 years. I found that either I do not have enough cpu power (433 Celeron/384MB RAM) or XP (& Win2K for that matter) does not like using "high" mode (for this application anyway).

As soon as I removed the "/high" switch from the batch file, all was well in Xp & 2K land........

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

If you loan a friend $20 & never see them again, it was worth it.

G

Don't diss XP. I am using it( not the beta) and it works pefectly fine with no bugs. The only acutual bug is from IE6.

G

You shoul`nt even think about running XP on enything lower then a P3 6-700 Mhz,,,,,, That`s the reason why you have crappy result in that games,,,,,,,,

I ate my WinME boot disk for breakfast

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Excellent Point..XP runs Smooth as hell on my XP 1600+ system...no bugs, no problems at all ( XP PROFESSIONAL )... Counter strike run's perfectly fine, it's probley your system SPECS dude

Rob,

Once you go AMD, You never Go back!!

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
that brings back memories! at the place i used to work at in high school, my boss used to install windows 2000 server on pentium 233 mmx. it ran like crap. it's sort of like putting a dinky 2.3 i-4 in a big rig tractor trailor.

repeat after me, we are all individuals!

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Jeezus techie, Win95!?!

If you dont wanna pay for a new OS, just go with Linux (or pirate XP :) )

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

G

I've heard XP strains systems resources a lot more. A faster CPU would probably help a lot. Of course a faster CPU always helps.