Server Hardware advice

Tags:
  • Virtualization
  • Hardware
  • Servers
  • Business Computing
Last response: in Business Computing
September 26, 2011 4:22:06 PM

Im planning on building a server that im gonna use for fileserver\vmware server\videorendering. My biggest question is selecting the hardware.

First of all the motherboard: I was gonna go for a supermicro mainboard but the biggest question i have is: do i really need 2 physical cpu's or just one? my first choise was 2 x Xeon E5606 processor. Or would it be better off with a faster single cpu setup?

The second problem was the videocard: dont know really what's best for a server but i chose the Nvidia Quadro600

Would really love some advice on what to buy.

More about : server hardware advice

December 11, 2011 2:17:06 AM

ghorax said:
Im planning on building a server that im gonna use for fileserver\vmware server\videorendering. My biggest question is selecting the hardware.

First of all the motherboard: I was gonna go for a supermicro mainboard but the biggest question i have is: do i really need 2 physical cpu's or just one? my first choise was 2 x Xeon E5606 processor. Or would it be better off with a faster single cpu setup?

The second problem was the videocard: dont know really what's best for a server but i chose the Nvidia Quadro600

Would really love some advice on what to buy.

Personally with my past experience's with building or buying a server. its better to actually by it because its fast to ship, less hassle putting together, and its ready to go. so i would just buy a small 1U or 2U server like a Dell poweredge 2950 Gen3 or a HP DL 360 G6 from ebay they're about 100-300 min.
January 5, 2012 2:47:24 PM

I've done this both ways as well but i prefer going the route of HP such as the ML350 G6/G7 which is a tower server, or the anything in the DL series will be rack mounted.

Its nice having a spare socket just for future upgrade possibilities and depending on how much video rendering or how many VMWare clients you will be using, a single Xeon Quad or Hex core with HT puts you at 8/12 processes and that may be enough I purchased a DL-385-G7 which has an 8-core Opteron and a 2nd slot should i ever need it, You may be better off and getting a system with dual sockets, but only one of those populated and then investing in more RAM as the VMWare server will really take a tax on your RAM as you dedicate chunks of RAM to each virtual machine and then your video rendering, not sure of the scale will also take its toll. Do you plan on doing this video rendering while you have VMWare clients running? seems like an odd situation. That being said you allocate your processors cores to VMWare so again depending on how many VM's will be running, maybe you are better off going with multiple CPUs.

So you do not necessarily need a Quadro or a FirePro GPU, what you get with these cards is quick support should you need it. For my DL-385 G7, i purchased a FirePro v5800 GPU, solely for the purpose of using with RemoteFX (GPU Accelleration for Remote Desktop clients) and the drivers on these workstation cards officially support this feature and work without hitch. I've read that you can make a mainstream GPU work but you wont get support without a workstation GPU. Also you pay for phone support from the MFG in the price, you wiill get someone to pick up the phone immediately (at least with a FirePro card)

Did you say you wanted a Quadro 600 as in the sub $200 card or did you mean the crazy expensive beast, the Quadro 6000? If you are budgeted, get yourself more horsepower and a Geforce or Radeon GPU

I have this in my signature, my System config:

~~Dual Socket Xeon E5650s(12/24Cores)48GB-ECC DDR3-1333~~
~~~~Vertex2 120GB OS HDD,4x143GB 15k RPM SAS RAID 1+0~~
~~~~Sapphire Radeon 5870 2GB w/Eyefinity6 (5760x1200)~~~~~

But i do a LOT of CAD and 3d Modeling on this machine and it runs it like a dream. Its quicker for my wife whos an architect to bring home a wireframe model and have my computer render it and bring it back the following morning as their desktops (which would be very good gaming machines) just cannot handle the CPU power it desires, even with i7's
!