Recommend Case/Power Supply

traveler

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
So I thought I would upgrade my Pentium II 400 Mhz Gateway computer and bought an ECS K7S5A SiS® 735 Socket A Motherboard with an Athlon Thunderbird 1.4GHz 266MHz FSB Processor and a 40GB hard drive from Western Digital. Stuff is in the mail as we speak. In preparation, I open up my computer and find a 200W power supply. Given that I have filled every bay, PCI slot, and IDE slot, I guess I am lucky it still works. Long and short, I need a new power supply. So here are my questions:

1) Can I get away with just replacing the power supply and retain the case to reinstall the new motherboard or would I be better off buying a whole new case and power supply?

2) If I can buy a power supply alone, what product and wattage do you recommend considering the best performance given price? Where can I buy it?

3) If I should buy a new case as well, what then would you recommend? I see lots of deal out there for cheap case/power supply combos but I want to know what I am getting. Do you recommend any particular combo from any particular store?

Thanks!

FatBurger

Illustrious
1) Yes and yes. You can keep it, but if you've filled all the bays and slots, how are you going to add new stuff? You can cross that bridge when you come to it, but just a thought.

2) Enermax makes the best PSUs. Get a 300w or more, if you feel like spending the cash (more is never bad, remember). I recommend <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com" target="_new">Newegg</A> as your place to buy stuff. It's my new favorite online computer store :)

3) If you're going to buy a case as well, then either get a chep PoS or something like a Lian-Li PC60 (~$150).

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

traveler

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Thanks for the recommendations!

This may be an elementary question, but what is the utility to having the fan controlled by the motherboard? I don't understand the great difference between the ENERMAX EG465P-VE and the ENERMAX EG465P-VE(FC). For four more bucks is it worth having fan control and "sleeping mode" support? What does it do for you?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Less noise on cool days, more cooling on warm days. If only all fans in the PC were like that.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
I use thermo-fans in most of my computers. They're under $20. It's a simple thermo-sensor on a wire. You put it where you need the fan to react to. By the processor, in the airflow path, etc. On my PC-60 I just use the 3-way fan switch.

-- Ah sh*t! sys64738 --

traveler

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
yeh, well after taking another look at my gateway case, i couldn't help but notice the lack of fans or any significant cooling device. and as mentioned, it is cramped as hell. i don't want to measure the temp inside for fear of what i'll find. with a new athlon 1.4, hard drive, and other peripherals, i felt the need to upgrade the case too. so i canceled my order for the power supply and went with the antec sx840.

thanks, guys.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I have a question..if you have a good PSU and as long as the case is roomy, does it matter which case you get?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Yes. I always spend money on my cases. Its a very nice thing, to get a good case. Cases like the PC-30 (See my thread...Please respond), the PC-70, and my current system, using a Tornado 1000, enhance the beauty and cooling of your system. Just like some people spend 10 bucks on their keyboard, some people spend 40 bucks on their case. Huge Difference, and IMO, worth the expense.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
I wouldn't have agreed with that statement before this year. I always bought mid-end towers, around $90 for a full tower. Then I bought a PC-60. I will never waste $90 on a case again. I'd rather pay double and get something like the Lian-Li. Far easier to work on, looks much nicer and cools better.

-- Ah sh*t! sys64738 --

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
I'm late to this thread, but I will say this:

I have a Lian-Li PC60 with a 431 Enermax PSU. Both are just fantastic; albeit rather expensive.

<b>ßunn¥§troker 0wn§ j00!</b>

G

I've been trying to decide between the Lian-Li PC 65 and the Cooler Master series. I'll probably couple whichever case with a PC Power and Cooling PSU. I don't own a Dremel tool and the window on the Lian-Li looks really cool! :)

G

Absobulutely. Me, I recommend PC Power & Cooling. Top quality, wide selection, low noise. Same for case. The one I got could have used another external 5" bay, but it sure is a pleasure to work with, and inside. The importance of the PS cannot be overstressed -- when building from an empty case, installing a separately bought power unit is a snap, and a good one will save unfathomable headache down the road. Swapping out a bad PS from a loaded case is no fun, even *after* you've determined that was your problem. Which ain't always as easy as it sounds. Read THG....