music video to computer

Here's one I haven't seen addressed anywhere.

I have Windows XP Media Centre Edition. I know I can do some wonderful stuff
on this Windows system. I'm still learning about all its capabilities. I
have managed to take music DVDs and copied them to my system. Using DVD
Audio Extractor, I've converted the chapters from the DVDs to MP3s. I was
then able to make music CDs that I can then listen to on my CD player.

I have a lot of VCR tapes with music on them that I would like to transfer
to my system in the same way. I have not been able to find out whether it's
possible.

I know that there are VCR/DVD recorders out there. You can transfer VCR
tapes to DVD and then I could then follow the same procedure above. The two
problems with this are - first and most importantly, the cost of these
machines are give or take $350 - $500 - and second, I'm not sure if this
machine would copy the tape in chapters - which I need, to separate the
songs.

Question:
Is there anything else I can do that would be cheaper and feasible for my
system? Like a cable of some sort that would connect the VCR to my computer.
I could then see about a utility that would transfer the audio (analog) to
(digital) MP3 files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Lucie
3 answers Last reply
More about music video computer

    If you want analog video into your MCE, you'll have to have an analog
    capture card. In a way, you do indeed have one of these with your MCE...
    but currently you call it a tv tuner.

    If you disconnect the cable from the satellite or cable box (or antenna) and
    connect a VCR to your MCE, you will have to 'reset' the MCE tuner options,
    just as you did when you initially set up the MCE. Alternatively you can
    purchase a separate capture card. That's not a bad thing because they
    usually come with the required software to capture analog video. Windows
    Movie Maker can sometimes do it, but it's designed for digital video
    capture... and is very fussy about analog.

    As regards software, I've used PowerDirector by Cyberlink
    (www.gocyberlink.com), WinDVD Creator from Intervideo (www.intervideo.com)
    Roxio's VideoWave (www.roxio.com) and a whole load of others but those three
    are the easiest to use in my opinion.

    As an alternative to the capture card, IF your graphics card has VIVO
    capabilities (video in and video out) you can use this instead.

    You will connect the yellow composite output of the VCR to the analog in
    signal (yellow composite again) of your capture card (or graphics card) and
    the red and white composites outputs of your VCR to the line in (minijack)
    of your soundcard.

    Then you will launch the software, start your tape and once you ensure it's
    in the right place (or thereabouts), press the record button with the mouse
    of the capture software. (That's when you need a lot of hands to press Play
    on the VCR and click on the Mouse at the same time!)

    Once it's finished capturing, you'll edit as you wish and then save it on
    your hard drive... then burn to a DVD. You can only capture in a 1:1 time
    ratio..... if the tape is 1 hour long, it will take 1 hour to capture it.
    How long it takes to edit depends on you. And the longest time will be
    saving the file in the format you desire.

    So yes, getting a VCR/DVD Recorder is more expensive but it's definitely
    less labor intensive. However I don't have one... and I capture from VCR
    all the time. Eventually I will have transferred all the tapes I have...
    but there were over 400 and I've got it down to about 120 so I won't finish
    anytime soon.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "Lucie South" <southl@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Here's one I haven't seen addressed anywhere.
    >
    > I have Windows XP Media Centre Edition. I know I can do some wonderful
    > stuff on this Windows system. I'm still learning about all its
    > capabilities. I have managed to take music DVDs and copied them to my
    > system. Using DVD Audio Extractor, I've converted the chapters from the
    > DVDs to MP3s. I was then able to make music CDs that I can then listen to
    > on my CD player.
    >
    > I have a lot of VCR tapes with music on them that I would like to transfer
    > to my system in the same way. I have not been able to find out whether
    > it's possible.
    >
    > I know that there are VCR/DVD recorders out there. You can transfer VCR
    > tapes to DVD and then I could then follow the same procedure above. The
    > two problems with this are - first and most importantly, the cost of these
    > machines are give or take $350 - $500 - and second, I'm not sure if this
    > machine would copy the tape in chapters - which I need, to separate the
    > songs.
    >
    > Question:
    > Is there anything else I can do that would be cheaper and feasible for my
    > system? Like a cable of some sort that would connect the VCR to my
    > computer. I could then see about a utility that would transfer the audio
    > (analog) to (digital) MP3 files.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Lucie

    Your VCR player should have an audio output - either for receiver or
    headset. Most likely, your VCR has RCA jack output(s) that you have to
    connect to your 1/8" stereo mini-jack soundcard audio input - or microphone
    input at worst. To connect RCA to mini-jack you need a special Y-connector
    available at Radio Shack or other electronics shops - even on the web.
    Next step is to download a sound recording program for your computer -
    Audigy (free) or similar.
    Michael

    "Lucie South" <southl@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Here's one I haven't seen addressed anywhere.
    >
    > I have Windows XP Media Centre Edition. I know I can do some wonderful
    > stuff on this Windows system. I'm still learning about all its
    > capabilities. I have managed to take music DVDs and copied them to my
    > system. Using DVD Audio Extractor, I've converted the chapters from the
    > DVDs to MP3s. I was then able to make music CDs that I can then listen to
    > on my CD player.
    >
    > I have a lot of VCR tapes with music on them that I would like to transfer
    > to my system in the same way. I have not been able to find out whether
    > it's possible.
    >
    > I know that there are VCR/DVD recorders out there. You can transfer VCR
    > tapes to DVD and then I could then follow the same procedure above. The
    > two problems with this are - first and most importantly, the cost of these
    > machines are give or take $350 - $500 - and second, I'm not sure if this
    > machine would copy the tape in chapters - which I need, to separate the
    > songs.
    >
    > Question:
    > Is there anything else I can do that would be cheaper and feasible for my
    > system? Like a cable of some sort that would connect the VCR to my
    > computer. I could then see about a utility that would transfer the audio
    > (analog) to (digital) MP3 files.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Lucie

    You'll need a capure card,ati makes one for about 50.00,if audio/video in
    exists now,connect youre vhr/vhs plugs into computer as you would normally,
    all one really needs are the drivers for the card.From there,download windows
    encoder 9 series + all the utilitys except the one for adobe,get the codec
    install-
    ation also.The encoder will record audio and video or one or the other,you
    can
    then convert the files for cd or dvd copy.

    "Lucie South" wrote:

    > Here's one I haven't seen addressed anywhere.
    >
    > I have Windows XP Media Centre Edition. I know I can do some wonderful stuff
    > on this Windows system. I'm still learning about all its capabilities. I
    > have managed to take music DVDs and copied them to my system. Using DVD
    > Audio Extractor, I've converted the chapters from the DVDs to MP3s. I was
    > then able to make music CDs that I can then listen to on my CD player.
    >
    > I have a lot of VCR tapes with music on them that I would like to transfer
    > to my system in the same way. I have not been able to find out whether it's
    > possible.
    >
    > I know that there are VCR/DVD recorders out there. You can transfer VCR
    > tapes to DVD and then I could then follow the same procedure above. The two
    > problems with this are - first and most importantly, the cost of these
    > machines are give or take $350 - $500 - and second, I'm not sure if this
    > machine would copy the tape in chapters - which I need, to separate the
    > songs.
    >
    > Question:
    > Is there anything else I can do that would be cheaper and feasible for my
    > system? Like a cable of some sort that would connect the VCR to my computer.
    > I could then see about a utility that would transfer the audio (analog) to
    > (digital) MP3 files.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Lucie