Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Weird 6950 Scaling problems. NEED HELP

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2012 11:15:49 PM

A little back story:

So I initially had just 1 Sapphire 6950 2GB OC, but then while out of town I decided to get another to try crossfire for the first time. When I hooked up my second one it worked fine, and I was seeing about double scaling (Furrmark 37 FPS -> 67 FPS). However when I arrived home and set everything up again, I encountered a lot of problems. It started when I decided to try to use less voltage. In MSI afterburner I changed it from 1.1v to 1.065v (My only options). This gave me less performance, so I switched it back. Then BAM the issues begin!

My problems:

-On Furrmark it says I have 1 GPU, and I am getting 58 FPS (Not 37 or 67).

-Some games are acting retarded. On Max Payne 3, it gets 45 FPS on ultra with Vsync off, and 60 FPS with it on!

-Metro: 2033 gets ~45 FPS on Ultra settings (1080p, very high, DX11, No Physx, AAA). It should be getting 50-60 FPS.

-> I tried uninstalling everything AMD, and then reinstalled everything. It made furmark get 66 FPS, but then when I turned Crossfire off and on, the problems came back. Even when furrmark worked again, Metro still only got 45 FPS.

WTF DO I DO?!?! everything was fine! Please help!!!

My System:

-i5-3570k at stock speeds while heavily undervolted (50w being used!)

- 2x4 GB 1600 MHz RAM

-ASROCK Z77 Pro4-m ( I realize that the second card is using a x4 PCIE)

-1 TB 7200 RPM 6.0 GB/s 3.5" HDD

-2 x 1080p 23" Tv's. 1 for gaming and desktop, the other for extra screen space and apps on the side.
August 11, 2012 9:50:13 PM

Ive been having the same types of problems with my own 6950 crossfire, twin frozr II 2gb's, Ive uninstalled and reinstalled and just about everything else i could try, ive resolved to just lasting it out until I can afford to upgrade
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2012 9:56:08 PM

CG_Gamer said:
Ive been having the same types of problems with my own 6950 crossfire, twin frozr II 2gb's, Ive uninstalled and reinstalled and just about everything else i could try, ive resolved to just lasting it out until I can afford to upgrade

But 6950 CF is rated so highly, and it was working fine till I tried dicking with settings. Is there anything you have done to help resolve your issues? Do you use two screens?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2012 10:14:39 PM

CG_Gamer said:
i have and eyefinity setup 5760x1080, there are some settings that you have to change in the registry to eliminate crashing while overclocking, but it causes the cards to use more power at idle

http://www.overclock.net/t/667144/crossfire-disabling-u...

So this UPLS thing fixed the issue I said? They are not crashing, just scaling at around 150% with some oddities.
m
l
August 11, 2012 10:51:24 PM

I don't know how long you've owned AMD/ATI cards but not all games support crossfire and unlike with Nvidia's SLI, when the game doesn't support it the cards act funky, most of the time I get perfect scaling, what you can try is overclocking youre PCIe bus, and depending on if your board gives you enough bandwidth for both cards, that can also be a huge factor
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 12, 2012 3:50:05 AM

CG_Gamer said:
I don't know how long you've owned AMD/ATI cards but not all games support crossfire and unlike with Nvidia's SLI, when the game doesn't support it the cards act funky, most of the time I get perfect scaling, what you can try is overclocking youre PCIe bus, and depending on if your board gives you enough bandwidth for both cards, that can also be a huge factor

That's not a bad idea. I didn't know you could do that. Well it worked for a while though when I had one screen. Could attaching another screen have caused a problem?
m
l
August 12, 2012 5:00:25 AM

as long as both screen are being run through the primary card then no, thats how the eyefinity is supposed to work, then you just crossfire afterwards

and of course anytime you increase the strain on your system there could be problems, in this instance youve increased the resolution but i highly doubt that has caused any of the problems
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 12, 2012 5:26:46 AM

CG_Gamer said:
as long as both screen are being run through the primary card then no, thats how the eyefinity is supposed to work, then you just crossfire afterwards

and of course anytime you increase the strain on your system there could be problems, in this instance youve increased the resolution but i highly doubt that has caused any of the problems

I run the second screen out of my mobo's HDMI using HD 4000 graphics so that there is no extra strain placed on my cards. I am not using the second screen for gaming.
m
l
August 12, 2012 5:31:46 AM

thats probably why, try running both monitors off the primary card, when you start gaming the secondary monitor will just deactivate causing no strain
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 12, 2012 5:48:46 AM

CG_Gamer said:
thats probably why, try running both monitors off the primary card, when you start gaming the secondary monitor will just deactivate causing no strain

I see. I will try this when I get home wednesday, thank you. What other problems have you had? Is it really that bad?
m
l
August 12, 2012 6:03:08 AM

I think its just the MSI cards, they put alot of work into the physical shell of the card but show up short where it counts like bios and internal components
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 12, 2012 7:54:59 AM

CG_Gamer said:
I think its just the MSI cards, they put alot of work into the physical shell of the card but show up short where it counts like bios and internal components

Well best of luck man. I report back when I get a chance....
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2012 6:17:00 PM

CG_Gamer said:

Ok so I fixed the problem about half a week ago but I am having Scaling problems. I realize having one of them in a x4 slot isn't good, but still Metro gets 50%-100% scaling, MP3 with x8 AA gets 50%, Crysis gets 30%, and Just Cause 2 gets 30%.

However Far Cry 2 gets none, and many other games have the same problem. FC2 is a red flag for me because I see many people getting near 100%. What is going on?
m
l

Best solution

August 20, 2012 1:17:55 AM

well I can tell you that I certainly get tremendous scaling on FC2, so from the looks of it there is definitely something fishy going on, have you tried overclocking your pcie through the bios?

whenever I start having weird performance issues I try and start there, the default speed should be something like 100mhz, you should be able to 110 out of it without having to dick around too much

I was having some weird performance problems earlier this week, but that was just a driver issue

the only other thing I could recommend is to try resetting the voltage on your cpu and try overclocking, I know when I had my 560ti's any overclock on my cpu was a pretty juicy bonus to the sli performance

I don't think your cpu is bottlenecking but its always a nice avenue to check out
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 1:41:09 AM

CG_Gamer said:
well I can tell you that I certainly get tremendous scaling on FC2, so from the looks of it there is definitely something fishy going on, have you tried overclocking your pcie through the bios?

whenever I start having weird performance issues I try and start there, the default speed should be something like 100mhz, you should be able to 110 out of it without having to dick around too much

I was having some weird performance problems earlier this week, but that was just a driver issue

the only other thing I could recommend is to try resetting the voltage on your cpu and try overclocking, I know when I had my 560ti's any overclock on my cpu was a pretty juicy bonus to the sli performance

I don't think your cpu is bottlenecking but its always a nice avenue to check out

Idk if my AsRock Pro4-m Mobo can overclock the Pcie. Where would I find it in the Bios, and what would it be called?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 4:29:21 AM

So I have a new theory as to why this is happening. Since the 2nd PCIe slot is only x4, it can only send 20-30 FPS at once before running out of bandwidth. Thus in demanding games like metro: 2033, I get 100% scailing since it takes longer to actually render the frame. However in games where I get 60+ FPS, the faster lane has to slow down for the second one; thus not increasing FPS, or lowering it a little.

May I be correct? Thoughts?
m
l
August 20, 2012 6:39:42 PM

Ive heard about weird scaling with low bandwidth lanes but never seen anything up close

the pci speed should be listed where your fsb and the hyper transport link is
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 7:04:49 PM

CG_Gamer said:
Ive heard about weird scaling with low bandwidth lanes but never seen anything up close

the pci speed should be listed where your fsb and the hyper transport link is

Yeah I tried overclocking it a little. IB isn't great at overclocking that, and I didn't notice any real gains in FC2. Also all my games started to freeze at start-up, and I had to re-install CCC. I mean is there a certain number I should try to OC to? And would lowering the multiplier allow more overclocking of the FSB?
m
l
August 23, 2012 2:48:37 AM

I always try overclocking from the fsb first, but the newer processors aren't friendly to those frequencies being changed, so I would try and push the multiplier in this case, and as far as the pcie if you can push it only oc by like 5 or 10 MHz, just remember to overclock with overvolt when necessary
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2012 3:54:45 AM

CG_Gamer said:
I always try overclocking from the fsb first, but the newer processors aren't friendly to those frequencies being changed, so I would try and push the multiplier in this case, and as far as the pcie if you can push it only oc by like 5 or 10 MHz, just remember to overclock with overvolt when necessary

But some of my games had trouble starting when it was oc. Also it is hard for me to even get it up 1 MHz while remaining stable. I'm not really sure if this is the problem though because I found some benchmarks of a x16 and x4 on FC2, and it still got decent scaling...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 2:05:35 AM

Attention all! I tested my theory and it is correct! When I heavily underclocked my cards, I got FC2 to scale. The thing is a x4 PCIe slot can only send about 20-40 FPS worth of data at once. This is of course fine with me. I will turn crossfire on when I need the extra horsepower. No need to play games at 200 FPS lol!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 31, 2012 5:34:21 AM

Best answer selected by CaptainTom.
m
l
!