Why are my computer games lagging?

G

So my games on my pc are running slow and low on fps it's good on most parts of the game but laggy when it comes to near crouded area's.

I have seen benchmarks that run the games well mine are just lagging (for the most part). Especially ArmA 2. Please help. Thanks. It's about 1 years old.

Specs:
Asus 6850 1gb - GPU Clock 875mhz - Memory
Clock 1075mhz

Phenom II x4 965 BE 3.4ghz

4GB Ram

Windows 7 Ultimate

Msi ms-7660 Motherbaord

3 fans on a NZXT case

cmcghee358

Distinguished
If's it lagging near crowded areas it is probably a CPU bottleneck. The 6850 is a good card. The 965 is showing it's age.

The best way to isolate if it's CPU or GPU, lower the detail or lower the resolution. If the lagging stops your GPU is to blame; if the lagging persists in the crowded areas it's your CPU.

G

Thanks but when I go into my control center and task manager it says that my graphics card is running 30% activity and that my cpu is maximum 5% usage. Is that normal for my cpu?

G

Thanks but when I go into my control center and task manager it says that my graphics card is running 30% activity and that my cpu is maximum 5% usage. Is that normal for my cpu?

G

Ok, thanks id dont know what throttling is but I did a test while playing arma 2:

Last night my cpu temp was 50 degrees idle. Gpu was about 45 degrees.

Just I started my computer up (so it is cool at the moment) and it seems to amd overdrive when I tab out of arma I see the cpu chart and it says when I do tab out of the game it goes down to 5%.

Arma is running in chernus (I don't know how to spell it -_-) it runs MAX 31 fps (according to fraps) but it looks a hell of alot worse than 30 fps. Thanks!