Budget low-end system.

Shneiky

Distinguished
Hello guys,
I have a bit of a hard question, because comparing these parts by benchmarks was almost impossible ( not enough benchmarks in this low segment ). And I have to say, I am not knowledgable enough at the AMD APU's sector.

So the question is (prices are from the reseller the purchase is going to be made):
Option-1: Intel Pentium G860 + nVidia gt630 ( 67 euro + 59 euro = 125 euro )
Option-2: Amd A8-3850 ( 100 euro )
(Low-end, similar featured mobo's for either socket have similar prices)

The purpose of the build:
- for a student.
Usage:
- Adobe CS6 products
- some light 3d modeling and rendering
- a bit of gaming

Highlights:
- Looking for more performance. The guy can live up with those 25 euro more, if the build will bring him better results.

Thank you in advance.

malbluff

Honorable
Being blunt, neither, by several hundred euros. CS6 is one of those systems that can eat the most powerful hardware, you can throw at it.
It's difficult, with a very limited budget, to know what is the least worse option. For a graphics card to be any use, it really needs to be nVidia, and decent power. For processor, the more cores, the better.
I would have thought, the best compromise would be something like a 4 core AMD Phenom, and the best Fermi (5xx) card, the budget will allow. Even that, unless you spend a bit more, some CS6 processes are going to be pretty slow.

malbluff

Honorable
Thinking about it, one possible option, for graphics, if you can get one, is GTX 470. They're two generations back, and fairly inefficient, in terms of power consumption, but they do work quite well, with Adobe, and will give some gaming capability.

Shneiky

Distinguished
I know what CS6 needs (using adobe products a lot before the CS era). And I know that the 600 series are handicapped when considering GPGPU.

But the problems are - low budget, can't change the PSU to go for the old power hungry models, going to another reseller will require shipping fees. The only 500 alternative is the 520 which is 52 euro. The build is what can be salvaged from his dead system ( mosfet failure, took the cpu as well ). Old system had a C2D and he was not complaining much so I guess he won't be now.

So I guess I will change the question. The A8 is better at multi-threaded, that's for sure, but I am wondering about the single threaded. Is the A8 far behind? Filters and rendering is well multi-threaded in almoust all software, but a lot of the tools and functions still don't go beyond 1-2 cores.

Also I have to mention that most things he uses are GPGPU accelerated, but the bigger portion of them are not CUDA dependent. ( OpenCL or GL, so they run on both AMD and nVidia ).

malbluff

Honorable
If it's possible to finance a Z77, or H77 mobo, in it, I suppose the Intel/nVidia route would be slightly better, mostly on the grounds that it COULD be upgraded, over time, on a step, by step basis, into a really good system. Particularly with Z77, system could go all the way up to i7-3770K, 32GB of 1600 MHz RAM, and GTX670 (or Quadro) graphics, in "easy" steps.

Shneiky

Distinguished
Thank you malbluff (finaly someone answers regarding my question, not giving random tips). This configuration has to last an year, after that he will be moving to enthusiast socket hexa (or octa core if intel releases enthusiast level chips with 8 cores ). So upgrading this build is not in his interest ( probably his parents will inherit it as a home theater and general purpose machine ). So the question stays, between this two options as they are. The mobo for each of it is around 70 euro ( depends on what they have in stock and with lowered price ).

malbluff

Honorable
I wish I had some experience of the A8, to be able to judge, how well it would actually perform. I can see potential benefits, and drawbacks, with either option. If I had the choice to make, myself, I think I would tend to play safe, and go with Intel. Obviously, or perhaps I should say, presumably, his parents won't want to overclock, so perhaps B75, for mobo. I don't see a very basic nVidia card gaining much, if CUDA's not required. I would try to include a reasonable Radeon card, to give some sort of gaming ability, and then the best socket 1155 CPU, finances will allow. I confess, I don't have huge confidence, it's going to be the best solution. We all know, sort of, what that would be, but we're so far off, in terms of money, it's got to be a bit of a "judgement call"