Can't find a networked drive

September 11, 2005 8:35:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I have two computers in my home connected through a hard wired router. One
uses Windows XP Home Edition (my wife's computer) and one uses Windows XP
Pro. The PC with the Pro edition has two logical drives. One is very small
(3GB) and I only use it to back up my other drives. It also uses Windows XP
Pro as the OS. This is my E: drive. From my C: drive, I can 'see' my other
PC (my wife's computer) which I want to back up. However, from my E: drive,
I cannot 'see' my other PC. Therefore, I can't map it to my backup
software. I CAN ping my wife's computer so I know it can be seen that way.
This is probably a quirk between the Home Edition and the Pro edition. Does
anyone know how to map this drive? Thanks........

More about : find networked drive

Anonymous
September 11, 2005 9:47:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Is the drive actually shared?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"+++Bobby "O"+++" <rmo555@cox.net> wrote in message
>I have two computers in my home connected through a hard wired router. One
>uses Windows XP Home Edition (my wife's computer) and one uses Windows XP
>Pro. The PC with the Pro edition has two logical drives. One is very
>small (3GB) and I only use it to back up my other drives. It also uses
>Windows XP Pro as the OS. This is my E: drive. From my C: drive, I can
>'see' my other PC (my wife's computer) which I want to back up. However,
>from my E: drive, I cannot 'see' my other PC. Therefore, I can't map it to
>my backup software. I CAN ping my wife's computer so I know it can be seen
>that way. This is probably a quirk between the Home Edition and the Pro
>edition. Does anyone know how to map this drive? Thanks........

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 4:18:47 AM

+++Bobby "O"+++ wrote:
> I have two computers in my home connected through a hard wired router. One
> uses Windows XP Home Edition (my wife's computer) and one uses Windows XP
> Pro. The PC with the Pro edition has two logical drives. One is very small
> (3GB) and I only use it to back up my other drives. It also uses Windows XP
> Pro as the OS. This is my E: drive. From my C: drive, I can 'see' my other
> PC (my wife's computer) which I want to back up. However, from my E: drive,
> I cannot 'see' my other PC. Therefore, I can't map it to my backup
> software. I CAN ping my wife's computer so I know it can be seen that way.
> This is probably a quirk between the Home Edition and the Pro edition. Does
> anyone know how to map this drive? Thanks........

You didn't say what router you had. After using the *Network Setup
Wizard*, I still had to do some configuring in the router's web page.
Now with the E: drive being that small, it is FAT32 by default (unless
you converted it). It will NOT see NTFS partitions.

--
System A
Athlon 1900+ overclocked to 1620 MHz

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Back to your studies Lisa,

Over a network you can happily view both NTFS and FAT32 files. It is only
Windows9x systems that cannot view NTFS files and folders on a LOCAL drive.
XP can see both wherever the drive may be, provided it has the appropriate
permissions.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Lisa West" <lisaj@NO_SPAM.si.rr.com.NO_CAPS> wrote in message
drive? Thanks........

> You didn't say what router you had. After using the *Network Setup
> Wizard*, I still had to do some configuring in the router's web page. Now
> with the E: drive being that small, it is FAT32 by default (unless you
> converted it). It will NOT see NTFS partitions.

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 1:12:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Yes - because I can see it on my other logical drive (the C: drive).

> Is the drive actually shared?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "+++Bobby "O"+++" <rmo555@cox.net> wrote in message
>>I have two computers in my home connected through a hard wired router.
>>One uses Windows XP Home Edition (my wife's computer) and one uses Windows
>>XP Pro. The PC with the Pro edition has two logical drives. One is very
>>small (3GB) and I only use it to back up my other drives. It also uses
>>Windows XP Pro as the OS. This is my E: drive. From my C: drive, I can
>>'see' my other PC (my wife's computer) which I want to back up. However,
>>from my E: drive, I cannot 'see' my other PC. Therefore, I can't map it
>>to my backup software. I CAN ping my wife's computer so I know it can be
>>seen that way. This is probably a quirk between the Home Edition and the
>>Pro edition. Does anyone know how to map this drive? Thanks........

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 2:33:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

In news:HP3Ve.30574$%w.9307@twister.nyc.rr.com,
Lisa West <lisaj@NO_SPAM.si.rr.com.NO_CAPS> typed:

> +++Bobby "O"+++ wrote:
>> I have two computers in my home connected through a hard wired
>> router. One uses Windows XP Home Edition (my wife's computer)
>> and
>> one uses Windows XP Pro. The PC with the Pro edition has two
>> logical drives. One is very small (3GB) and I only use it to
>> back
>> up my other drives. It also uses Windows XP Pro as the OS.
>> This is
>> my E: drive. From my C: drive, I can 'see' my other PC (my
>> wife's
>> computer) which I want to back up. However, from my E: drive,
>> cannot 'see' my other PC. Therefore, I can't map it to my
>> backup
>> software. I CAN ping my wife's computer so I know it can be
>> seen
>> that way. This is probably a quirk between the Home Edition
>> and the
>> Pro edition. Does anyone know how to map this drive?
>> Thanks........
> You didn't say what router you had. After using the *Network
> Setup
> Wizard*, I still had to do some configuring in the router's web
> page.
> Now with the E: drive being that small, it is FAT32 by default
> (unless
> you converted it). It will NOT see NTFS partitions.

No, this is not at all correct, on several counts.

First of all, there is no question of FAT32 seeing NTFS
partitions, nor of NTFS seeing FAT32 partitions. It's the
operating system that sees partitions, not the partition
themselves or the file systems on them.

Second, Windows XP, whether Home or Professional, can see any and
all combinations of NTFS, FAT12, FAT16, and FAT32, regardless of
what file system it itself is installed on.

Third, over a network, it doesn't even matter that it's Windows
XP. It's data that's moved over the network, without it's
underlying file structure. That means that even a Windows 98
computer can access data on an NTFS partition across the network.

Fourth, even with drives as small as 3GB, FAT32 is not the
default. You get to choose which file system you want. The only
restriction in Windows XP is that with drives over 32GB, FAT32 is
not a choice (although you can create FAT32 partitions larger
than 32GB with an external program).

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 4:43:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Did you try Adding a Network Place....

\\WifesPC\nameofdrive

Where WifesPC is the Name of your wife's PC and nameofdrive is the name of
the drive, often just C:

Sometimes you have to 'force' XP to 'see' stuff.

--

news:D 9fVe.2975$GK2.2179@lakeread07...
> Yes - because I can see it on my other logical drive (the C: drive).
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
>> Is the drive actually shared?
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>

>> "+++Bobby "O"+++" <rmo555@cox.net> wrote in message
>>>I have two computers in my home connected through a hard wired router.
>>>One uses Windows XP Home Edition (my wife's computer) and one uses
>>>Windows XP Pro. The PC with the Pro edition has two logical drives. One
>>>is very small (3GB) and I only use it to back up my other drives. It
>>>also uses Windows XP Pro as the OS. This is my E: drive. From my C:
>>>drive, I can 'see' my other PC (my wife's computer) which I want to back
>>>up. However, from my E: drive, I cannot 'see' my other PC. Therefore, I
>>>can't map it to my backup software. I CAN ping my wife's computer so I
>>>know it can be seen that way. This is probably a quirk between the Home
>>>Edition and the Pro edition. Does anyone know how to map this drive?
>>>Thanks........

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 6:04:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Thanks for the information - it helps me to understand what is correct.
However, I still can't 'see' my wife's computer from my E: drive - but can
see it from my C: drive (same physical drive). I still need a way to see
her drive so I can access it for backup purposes. There must be a way.
Thanks..

> In news:HP3Ve.30574$%w.9307@twister.nyc.rr.com,
> Lisa West <lisaj@NO_SPAM.si.rr.com.NO_CAPS> typed:
>
>> +++Bobby "O"+++ wrote:
>>> I have two computers in my home connected through a hard wired
>>> router. One uses Windows XP Home Edition (my wife's computer) and
>>> one uses Windows XP Pro. The PC with the Pro edition has two
>>> logical drives. One is very small (3GB) and I only use it to back
>>> up my other drives. It also uses Windows XP Pro as the OS. This is
>>> my E: drive. From my C: drive, I can 'see' my other PC (my wife's
>>> computer) which I want to back up. However, from my E: drive, I
>>> cannot 'see' my other PC. Therefore, I can't map it to my backup
>>> software. I CAN ping my wife's computer so I know it can be seen
>>> that way. This is probably a quirk between the Home Edition and the
>>> Pro edition. Does anyone know how to map this drive? Thanks........
>> You didn't say what router you had. After using the *Network Setup
>> Wizard*, I still had to do some configuring in the router's web page.
>> Now with the E: drive being that small, it is FAT32 by default (unless
>> you converted it). It will NOT see NTFS partitions.
>

> No, this is not at all correct, on several counts.
>
> First of all, there is no question of FAT32 seeing NTFS partitions, nor of
> NTFS seeing FAT32 partitions. It's the operating system that sees
> partitions, not the partition themselves or the file systems on them.
>
> Second, Windows XP, whether Home or Professional, can see any and all
> combinations of NTFS, FAT12, FAT16, and FAT32, regardless of what file
> system it itself is installed on.
>
> Third, over a network, it doesn't even matter that it's Windows XP. It's
> data that's moved over the network, without it's underlying file
> structure. That means that even a Windows 98 computer can access data on
> an NTFS partition across the network.
>
> Fourth, even with drives as small as 3GB, FAT32 is not the default. You
> get to choose which file system you want. The only restriction in Windows
> XP is that with drives over 32GB, FAT32 is not a choice (although you can
> create FAT32 partitions larger than 32GB with an external program).

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 6:04:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

In news:IqjVe.3002$GK2.1085@lakeread07,
+++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:

> Thanks for the information - it helps me to understand what is
> correct. However, I still can't 'see' my wife's computer from
> my E:
> drive - but can see it from my C: drive (same physical drive).
> still need a way to see her drive so I can access it for backup
> purposes. There must be a way. Thanks..

You're welcome. I was just trying to correct erroneous
information.

But I don't understand what you mean when you say "I still can't
'see' my wife's computer from my E:
drive - but can see it from my C: drive (same physical drive)."

You don't see a computer from a drive. You see it from someplace
like Windows Explorer. Can you be more explicit and explain
exactly what you're trying to do, and how?

Please reply to the newsgroup

>> In news:HP3Ve.30574$%w.9307@twister.nyc.rr.com,
>> Lisa West <lisaj@NO_SPAM.si.rr.com.NO_CAPS> typed:

>>> You didn't say what router you had. After using the *Network
>>> Setup
>>> Wizard*, I still had to do some configuring in the router's
>>> web
>>> page. Now with the E: drive being that small, it is FAT32 by
>>> default (unless you converted it). It will NOT see NTFS
>>> partitions.
>>

>> No, this is not at all correct, on several counts.
>>
>> First of all, there is no question of FAT32 seeing NTFS
>> partitions,
>> nor of NTFS seeing FAT32 partitions. It's the operating system
>> that
>> sees partitions, not the partition themselves or the file
>> systems on
>> them. Second, Windows XP, whether Home or Professional, can
>> see any and all
>> combinations of NTFS, FAT12, FAT16, and FAT32, regardless of
>> what
>> file system it itself is installed on.
>>
>> Third, over a network, it doesn't even matter that it's
>> Windows XP.
>> It's data that's moved over the network, without it's
>> underlying file
>> structure. That means that even a Windows 98 computer can
>> access
>> data on an NTFS partition across the network.
>>
>> Fourth, even with drives as small as 3GB, FAT32 is not the
>> default.
>> You get to choose which file system you want. The only
>> restriction
>> in Windows XP is that with drives over 32GB, FAT32 is not a
>> choice
>> (although you can create FAT32 partitions larger than 32GB
>> with an
>> external program). --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 9:22:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Yes, it does not show up in Windows Explorer or My Computer on my E: drive.
I have given permission to access my wife's drive and it is listed in
Windows Explorer and My Computer on my C: drive. My E: and C: drive are on
the same physical drive on my PC.

> In news:IqjVe.3002$GK2.1085@lakeread07,
> +++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:
>
>> Thanks for the information - it helps me to understand what is
>> correct. However, I still can't 'see' my wife's computer from my E:
>> drive - but can see it from my C: drive (same physical drive). I
>> still need a way to see her drive so I can access it for backup
>> purposes. There must be a way. Thanks..
>

> You're welcome. I was just trying to correct erroneous information.
>
> But I don't understand what you mean when you say "I still can't 'see' my
> wife's computer from my E:
> drive - but can see it from my C: drive (same physical drive)."
>
> You don't see a computer from a drive. You see it from someplace like
> Windows Explorer. Can you be more explicit and explain exactly what you're
> trying to do, and how?

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>>> In news:HP3Ve.30574$%w.9307@twister.nyc.rr.com,
>>> Lisa West <lisaj@NO_SPAM.si.rr.com.NO_CAPS> typed:

>>> No, this is not at all correct, on several counts.
>>>
>>> First of all, there is no question of FAT32 seeing NTFS partitions,
>>> nor of NTFS seeing FAT32 partitions. It's the operating system that
>>> sees partitions, not the partition themselves or the file systems on
>>> them. Second, Windows XP, whether Home or Professional, can see any and
>>> all
>>> combinations of NTFS, FAT12, FAT16, and FAT32, regardless of what
>>> file system it itself is installed on.
>>>
>>> Third, over a network, it doesn't even matter that it's Windows XP.
>>> It's data that's moved over the network, without it's underlying file
>>> structure. That means that even a Windows 98 computer can access
>>> data on an NTFS partition across the network.
>>>
>>> Fourth, even with drives as small as 3GB, FAT32 is not the default.
>>> You get to choose which file system you want. The only restriction
>>> in Windows XP is that with drives over 32GB, FAT32 is not a choice
>>> (although you can create FAT32 partitions larger than 32GB with an
>>> external program). --
>>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>>> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 9:22:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

In news:EkmVe.3018$GK2.2598@lakeread07,
+++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:

> Yes, it does not show up in Windows Explorer or My Computer on
> my E:
> drive. I have given permission to access my wife's drive and it
> is
> listed in Windows Explorer and My Computer on my C: drive. My
> E: and
> C: drive are on the same physical drive on my PC.

Sorry to keep saying the same thing, but I still don't understand
what you mean. Your wife's drive is not on your C: drive nor is
it on your E: drive. You can't see it *on* either of those drives
because it isn't there.

When you go to Windows Explorer, you should see *all* the drives
that are there, including any mapped network drives. If your
wife's drive isn't mapped, it isn't there to see.

Please reply to the newsgroup

>> In news:IqjVe.3002$GK2.1085@lakeread07,
>> +++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:
>>
>>> Thanks for the information - it helps me to understand what
>>> is
>>> correct. However, I still can't 'see' my wife's computer from
>>> my E:
>>> drive - but can see it from my C: drive (same physical
>>> drive). I
>>> still need a way to see her drive so I can access it for
>>> backup
>>> purposes. There must be a way. Thanks..
>>

>> You're welcome. I was just trying to correct erroneous
>> information.
>>
>> But I don't understand what you mean when you say "I still
>> can't
>> 'see' my wife's computer from my E:
>> drive - but can see it from my C: drive (same physical
>> drive)."
>>
>> You don't see a computer from a drive. You see it from
>> someplace like
>> Windows Explorer. Can you be more explicit and explain exactly
>> what
>> you're trying to do, and how?
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>

>>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
>>> message

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 9:22:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

If you want your wife's C drive to show in "My Computer" on YOUR system,
right click My Network Places, choose Map Network Drive, and browse to the
drive on her machine.
You will need to assign it a drive letter when prompted.

--
A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
"+++Bobby "O"+++" <rmo555@cox.net> wrote in message
> Yes, it does not show up in Windows Explorer or My Computer on my E:
> drive. I have given permission to access my wife's drive and it is listed
> in Windows Explorer and My Computer on my C: drive. My E: and C: drive
> are on the same physical drive on my PC.

>> In news:IqjVe.3002$GK2.1085@lakeread07,
>> +++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:
>>
>>> Thanks for the information - it helps me to understand what is
>>> correct. However, I still can't 'see' my wife's computer from my E:
>>> drive - but can see it from my C: drive (same physical drive). I
>>> still need a way to see her drive so I can access it for backup
>>> purposes. There must be a way. Thanks..
>>

>> You're welcome. I was just trying to correct erroneous information.
>>
>> But I don't understand what you mean when you say "I still can't 'see' my
>> wife's computer from my E:
>> drive - but can see it from my C: drive (same physical drive)."
>>
>> You don't see a computer from a drive. You see it from someplace like
>> Windows Explorer. Can you be more explicit and explain exactly what
>> you're trying to do, and how?
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>

>>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 10:46:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

OK, I tried to map it on my E: drive - but couldn't find it to map. Maybe
I'm doing something wrong - but I had a corporate guru try - and he couldn't
figure it out either. Perhaps, if you walked me through the steps (and it
doesn't work), I could tell you where in the process I have the problem.

> In news:EkmVe.3018$GK2.2598@lakeread07,
> +++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:
>
>> Yes, it does not show up in Windows Explorer or My Computer on my E:
>> drive. I have given permission to access my wife's drive and it is
>> listed in Windows Explorer and My Computer on my C: drive. My E: and
>> C: drive are on the same physical drive on my PC.
>

> Sorry to keep saying the same thing, but I still don't understand what you
> mean. Your wife's drive is not on your C: drive nor is it on your E:
> drive. You can't see it *on* either of those drives because it isn't
> there.
>
> When you go to Windows Explorer, you should see *all* the drives that are
> there, including any mapped network drives. If your wife's drive isn't
> mapped, it isn't there to see.

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>>> In news:IqjVe.3002$GK2.1085@lakeread07,
>>> +++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:

>>> You're welcome. I was just trying to correct erroneous information.
>>>
>>> But I don't understand what you mean when you say "I still can't
>>> 'see' my wife's computer from my E:
>>> drive - but can see it from my C: drive (same physical drive)."
>>>
>>> You don't see a computer from a drive. You see it from someplace like
>>> Windows Explorer. Can you be more explicit and explain exactly what
>>> you're trying to do, and how?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>>> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 10:46:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

If you used the default share on the wife's machine, it may show as $C:
instead of C: and may not be visible.
Did you set the permissions on her drive to 'allow network users to change
my files'? Or did you grant specific access only?

--
> OK, I tried to map it on my E: drive - but couldn't find it to map. Maybe
> I'm doing something wrong - but I had a corporate guru try - and he
> couldn't figure it out either. Perhaps, if you walked me through the
> steps (and it doesn't work), I could tell you where in the process I have
> the problem.

<snip>
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 10:46:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

In news:7znVe.3026$GK2.2996@lakeread07,
+++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:

> OK, I tried to map it on my E: drive - but couldn't find it to
> map.

I hate to keep harping on the same thing, but you're saying
something wrong, and it isn't clear to me what you mean. You
*can't* map it on your E: drive. Your E: drive is a physical
drive on your computer. You can only map it to a drive that
doesn't exist on your computer. For example, if you don't have a
Z: drive, you could map her drive to Z:

Please reply to the newsgroup

> Maybe I'm doing something wrong - but I had a corporate guru
> try -
> and he couldn't figure it out either. Perhaps, if you walked
> me
> through the steps (and it doesn't work), I could tell you where
> in
> the process I have the problem.

>> In news:EkmVe.3018$GK2.2598@lakeread07,
>> +++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:
>>
>>> Yes, it does not show up in Windows Explorer or My Computer
>>> on my E:
>>> drive. I have given permission to access my wife's drive and
>>> it is
>>> listed in Windows Explorer and My Computer on my C: drive.
>>> My E:
>>> and C: drive are on the same physical drive on my PC.
>>

>> Sorry to keep saying the same thing, but I still don't
>> understand
>> what you mean. Your wife's drive is not on your C: drive nor
>> is it
>> on your E: drive. You can't see it *on* either of those drives
>> because it isn't there.
>>
>> When you go to Windows Explorer, you should see *all* the
>> drives
>> that are there, including any mapped network drives. If your
>> wife's
>> drive isn't mapped, it isn't there to see.
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>

>>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
>>> message

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 10:47:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

When I browse, her drive doesn't show up.

"NotMe" <cargod01@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If you want your wife's C drive to show in "My Computer" on YOUR system,
> right click My Network Places, choose Map Network Drive, and browse to the
> drive on her machine.
> You will need to assign it a drive letter when prompted.
>
> --
> A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
> "+++Bobby "O"+++" <rmo555@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Yes, it does not show up in Windows Explorer or My Computer on my E:
>> drive. I have given permission to access my wife's drive and it is listed
>> in Windows Explorer and My Computer on my C: drive. My E: and C: drive
>> are on the same physical drive on my PC.
>>

>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>>> In news:IqjVe.3002$GK2.1085@lakeread07,
>>> +++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:

>>> You're welcome. I was just trying to correct erroneous information.
>>>
>>> But I don't understand what you mean when you say "I still can't 'see'
>>> my wife's computer from my E:
>>> drive - but can see it from my C: drive (same physical drive)."
>>>
>>> You don't see a computer from a drive. You see it from someplace like
>>> Windows Explorer. Can you be more explicit and explain exactly what
>>> you're trying to do, and how?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>>> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 11:25:18 PM

> If you used the default share on the wife's machine, it may show as $C:
> instead of C: and may not be visible.

Tried $C - didn't work.

> Did you set the permissions on her drive to 'allow network users to change
> my files'? Or did you grant specific access only?

I set it so that I could change her files if I desired. Not that I would,
but at home, I'm the network administrator.

> --
> A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
> "+++Bobby "O"+++" <rmo555@cox.net> wrote in message
>> OK, I tried to map it on my E: drive - but couldn't find it to map.
>> Maybe I'm doing something wrong - but I had a corporate guru try - and he
>> couldn't figure it out either. Perhaps, if you walked me through the
>> steps (and it doesn't work), I could tell you where in the process I have
>> the problem.

> <snip>

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 11:25:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

If you had a network guru look at it, I'm sure he checked to be sure you
were both on the same workgroup and had the same subnet mask in network
properties. If NOT, make sure they are the same.
If you are using DHCP for an automatic IP address from the same router, that
should all be by default.
OTOH, if you were messing with the router settings, did you mess with MAC
address filtering or change the number of addresses provided by the DHCP
server? You have to have the router set to at least as many addresses as you
have machines.
Can you see your machine from browsing the network on hers?

--
> "NotMe" <cargod01@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> If you used the default share on the wife's machine, it may show as $C:
>> instead of C: and may not be visible.

> Tried $C - didn't work.

>> Did you set the permissions on her drive to 'allow network users to
>> change my files'? Or did you grant specific access only?

> I set it so that I could change her files if I desired. Not that I would,
> but at home, I'm the network administrator.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 2:08:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I'll try another way to explain my problem:

I have two computers on my network - my wife's and mine. Both have one
physical drive. Her's has one logical drive (C:)  and mine has two logical
drives (C: and E:) . I have my wife's PC showing as a line item in My
Computer on my C: drive because I mapped it there. However, when I boot
into my E: drive, I cannot map her drive to my E: drive because I can't find
it when I browse for it. In other words, I cannot access her C: drive from
my E: drive - only from my C: drive. I hope this is clearer. Thanks.....

> In news:7znVe.3026$GK2.2996@lakeread07,
> +++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:
>
>> OK, I tried to map it on my E: drive - but couldn't find it to map.
>

> I hate to keep harping on the same thing, but you're saying something
> wrong, and it isn't clear to me what you mean. You *can't* map it on your
> E: drive. Your E: drive is a physical drive on your computer. You can only
> map it to a drive that doesn't exist on your computer. For example, if you
> don't have a Z: drive, you could map her drive to Z:

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

>> Maybe I'm doing something wrong - but I had a corporate guru try -
>> and he couldn't figure it out either. Perhaps, if you walked me
>> through the steps (and it doesn't work), I could tell you where in
>> the process I have the problem.
>>
>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>>> In news:EkmVe.3018$GK2.2598@lakeread07,
>>> +++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:

>>> Sorry to keep saying the same thing, but I still don't understand
>>> what you mean. Your wife's drive is not on your C: drive nor is it
>>> on your E: drive. You can't see it *on* either of those drives
>>> because it isn't there.
>>>
>>> When you go to Windows Explorer, you should see *all* the drives
>>> that are there, including any mapped network drives. If your wife's
>>> drive isn't mapped, it isn't there to see.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>>> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 12:33:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

And what is the Username/password combination when you "boot into E:" as
compared to when you "boot into C:" ? You really need to start from the
top on this, all the little "gotchas" that you keep adding in are
keeping people from figuring out where the problem is.

+++Bobby "O"+++ wrote:

> I'll try another way to explain my problem:
>
> I have two computers on my network - my wife's and mine. Both have one
> physical drive. Her's has one logical drive (C:)  and mine has two logical
> drives (C: and E:) . I have my wife's PC showing as a line item in My
> Computer on my C: drive because I mapped it there. However, when I boot
> into my E: drive, I cannot map her drive to my E: drive because I can't find
> it when I browse for it. In other words, I cannot access her C: drive from
> my E: drive - only from my C: drive. I hope this is clearer. Thanks.....

>>In news:7znVe.3026$GK2.2996@lakeread07,
>>+++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:
>>

>>>OK, I tried to map it on my E: drive - but couldn't find it to map.
>>

>>I hate to keep harping on the same thing, but you're saying something
>>wrong, and it isn't clear to me what you mean. You *can't* map it on your
>>E: drive. Your E: drive is a physical drive on your computer. You can only
>>map it to a drive that doesn't exist on your computer. For example, if you
>>don't have a Z: drive, you could map her drive to Z:
>>
>>--
>>Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>>Please reply to the newsgroup
>>

>>>Maybe I'm doing something wrong - but I had a corporate guru try -
>>>and he couldn't figure it out either. Perhaps, if you walked me
>>>through the steps (and it doesn't work), I could tell you where in
>>>the process I have the problem.
>>>
>>>"Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 12:34:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

In news:3xqVe.3035$GK2.256@lakeread07,
+++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:
> I'll try another way to explain my problem:
>
> I have two computers on my network - my wife's and mine. Both
> have
> one physical drive. Her's has one logical drive (C:)  and mine
> has
> two logical drives (C: and E:) . I have my wife's PC showing as
> line item in My Computer on my C: drive because I mapped it
> there. However, when I boot into my E: drive, I cannot map her
> drive to my
> E: drive because I can't find it when I browse for it. In
> other
> words, I cannot access her C: drive from my E: drive - only
> from my
> C: drive. I hope this is clearer. Thanks.....

Yes, it's clearer. Thank you. If you had said earlier that you
were dual-booting, I had missed it.

What operating system are you running when you boot from C: and
what operating system when you boot from E:?

Please reply to the newsgroup

>> In news:7znVe.3026$GK2.2996@lakeread07,
>> +++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:
>>
>>> OK, I tried to map it on my E: drive - but couldn't find it
>>> to map.
>>

>> I hate to keep harping on the same thing, but you're saying
>> something
>> wrong, and it isn't clear to me what you mean. You *can't* map
>> it on
>> your E: drive. Your E: drive is a physical drive on your
>> computer.
>> You can only map it to a drive that doesn't exist on your
>> computer.
>> For example, if you don't have a Z: drive, you could map her
>> drive
>> to Z: --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>

>>> Maybe I'm doing something wrong - but I had a corporate guru
>>> try -
>>> and he couldn't figure it out either. Perhaps, if you walked
>>> me
>>> through the steps (and it doesn't work), I could tell you
>>> where in
>>> the process I have the problem.
>>>
>>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
>>> message

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 1:54:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

The Username and Password are the same for both the E: and C: drives on my
PC.

> And what is the Username/password combination when you "boot into E:" as
> compared to when you "boot into C:" ? You really need to start from the
> top on this, all the little "gotchas" that you keep adding in are keeping
> people from figuring out where the problem is.
>
> +++Bobby "O"+++ wrote:
>
>> I'll try another way to explain my problem:
>>
>> I have two computers on my network - my wife's and mine. Both have one
>> physical drive. Her's has one logical drive (C:)  and mine has two
>> logical drives (C: and E:) . I have my wife's PC showing as a line item
>> in My Computer on my C: drive because I mapped it there. However, when I
>> boot into my E: drive, I cannot map her drive to my E: drive because I
>> can't find it when I browse for it. In other words, I cannot access her
>> C: drive from my E: drive - only from my C: drive. I hope this is
>> clearer. Thanks.....
>>

>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>>
>>>In news:7znVe.3026$GK2.2996@lakeread07,
>>>+++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:

>>>I hate to keep harping on the same thing, but you're saying something
>>>wrong, and it isn't clear to me what you mean. You *can't* map it on your
>>>E: drive. Your E: drive is a physical drive on your computer. You can
>>>only map it to a drive that doesn't exist on your computer. For example,
>>>if you don't have a Z: drive, you could map her drive to Z:
>>>
>>>--
>>>Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>>>Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 2:12:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

And the operating system you are booting from on E:? And if XP is the
Firewall disabled? And is the workgroup the same on that operating sysem?

+++Bobby "O"+++ wrote:

> The Username and Password are the same for both the E: and C: drives on my
> PC.
>

> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>And what is the Username/password combination when you "boot into E:" as
>>compared to when you "boot into C:" ? You really need to start from the
>>top on this, all the little "gotchas" that you keep adding in are keeping
>>people from figuring out where the problem is.
>>
>>+++Bobby "O"+++ wrote:
>>

>>>I'll try another way to explain my problem:
>>>
>>>I have two computers on my network - my wife's and mine. Both have one
>>>physical drive. Her's has one logical drive (C:)  and mine has two
>>>logical drives (C: and E:) . I have my wife's PC showing as a line item
>>>in My Computer on my C: drive because I mapped it there. However, when I
>>>boot into my E: drive, I cannot map her drive to my E: drive because I
>>>can't find it when I browse for it. In other words, I cannot access her
>>>C: drive from my E: drive - only from my C: drive. I hope this is
>>>clearer. Thanks.....
>>>

>>>"Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 3:26:28 PM

> And the operating system you are booting from on E:?

I've already answered this - Windows XP Pro

And if XP is the
> Firewall disabled?

It is NOT disabled on either my C: or E: drive - but I CAN access my wife's
C: drive from MY C: drive.

And is the workgroup the same on that operating sysem?

The workgroup is the same.

> +++Bobby "O"+++ wrote:
>
>> The Username and Password are the same for both the E: and C: drives on
>> my PC.
>>

>> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>And what is the Username/password combination when you "boot into E:" as
>>>compared to when you "boot into C:" ? You really need to start from the
>>>top on this, all the little "gotchas" that you keep adding in are keeping
>>>people from figuring out where the problem is.

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 3:26:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Disable firewall till AFTER you map the drive. Also check the ip address
that you are using. It boils down to you haven't set up networking
properly on the "second operating system" that you have on the PC.

+++Bobby "O"+++ wrote:

> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>And the operating system you are booting from on E:?
>

> I've already answered this - Windows XP Pro
>
> And if XP is the
>
>>Firewall disabled?
>

> It is NOT disabled on either my C: or E: drive - but I CAN access my wife's
> C: drive from MY C: drive.
>
> And is the workgroup the same on that operating sysem?
>
> The workgroup is the same.
>
>>+++Bobby "O"+++ wrote:
>>

>>>The Username and Password are the same for both the E: and C: drives on
>>>my PC.
>>>

>>>"Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message

September 13, 2005 3:45:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Hi Bobby,

As Ken said, you will need to ghost your main drive to get a complete
system backup. However, this is a bit tedious and you will likely not
do it every day. Thus you will eventually experience a hard drive crash
and lose data. Even a week's data loss can be a major inconvienence.

What I suggest to people who want a complete backup is to centralize
your personal data (my documents, favorites, desktop, email, address
book) into one folder (I use tweakUI for this). With all personal data
thus centralized, it's a simple job to use freeware backup tools to
keep daily backups of your critical data.

As far as the system ghosting is concerned, you can do this once in a
month or after a major software install or update. This way you have
the best of both backup types. Just be sure, as Ken stated, not to
backup to a second partition on the same drive.

Here's a link to TweakUI:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...

And to a roundup of freeware backup tools:

http://free-backup.info/backup-software.htm

Good luck,
Chad
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 4:48:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I'm using the same operating system on both the C: and E: drives - Windows
XP Pro - on MY computer.
Perhaps I should start from the beginning to set up mt E: drive on the
network - but I'd have to ask you to walk me through it.

> In news:3xqVe.3035$GK2.256@lakeread07,
> +++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:
>> I'll try another way to explain my problem:
>>
>> I have two computers on my network - my wife's and mine. Both have
>> one physical drive. Her's has one logical drive (C:)  and mine has
>> two logical drives (C: and E:) . I have my wife's PC showing as a
>> line item in My Computer on my C: drive because I mapped it there.
>> However, when I boot into my E: drive, I cannot map her drive to my
>> E: drive because I can't find it when I browse for it. In other
>> words, I cannot access her C: drive from my E: drive - only from my
>> C: drive. I hope this is clearer. Thanks.....
>

> Yes, it's clearer. Thank you. If you had said earlier that you were
> dual-booting, I had missed it.
>
> What operating system are you running when you boot from C: and what
> operating system when you boot from E:?

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>>> In news:7znVe.3026$GK2.2996@lakeread07,
>>> +++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:

>>> I hate to keep harping on the same thing, but you're saying something
>>> wrong, and it isn't clear to me what you mean. You *can't* map it on
>>> your E: drive. Your E: drive is a physical drive on your computer.
>>> You can only map it to a drive that doesn't exist on your computer.
>>> For example, if you don't have a Z: drive, you could map her drive
>>> to Z: --
>>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>>> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 4:48:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

In news:qpDVe.3090$GK2.1321@lakeread07
,
+++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:
> I'm using the same operating system on both the C: and E:
> drives -
> Windows XP Pro - on MY computer.

It's unlikely that it has anything to do with your problem, but
as an aside, why do you have two installations of the same
operating system on your computer?

Please reply to the newsgroup

> Perhaps I should start from the beginning to set up mt E: drive
> on the
> network - but I'd have to ask you to walk me through it.

>> In news:3xqVe.3035$GK2.256@lakeread07,
>> +++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:
>>> I'll try another way to explain my problem:
>>>
>>> I have two computers on my network - my wife's and mine.
>>> Both have
>>> one physical drive. Her's has one logical drive (C:)  and
>>> mine has
>>> two logical drives (C: and E:) . I have my wife's PC showing
>>> as a
>>> line item in My Computer on my C: drive because I mapped it
>>> there.
>>> However, when I boot into my E: drive, I cannot map her drive
>>> to my
>>> E: drive because I can't find it when I browse for it. In
>>> other
>>> words, I cannot access her C: drive from my E: drive - only
>>> from my
>>> C: drive. I hope this is clearer. Thanks.....
>>

>> Yes, it's clearer. Thank you. If you had said earlier that you
>> were
>> dual-booting, I had missed it.
>>
>> What operating system are you running when you boot from C:
>> and what
>> operating system when you boot from E:?
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>

>>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
>>> message

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 4:55:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Could my firewalls have anything to do with this issue? I have Zone Alarm
and the Windows XP firewalls activated.

> In news:3xqVe.3035$GK2.256@lakeread07,
> +++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:
>> I'll try another way to explain my problem:
>>
>> I have two computers on my network - my wife's and mine. Both have
>> one physical drive. Her's has one logical drive (C:)  and mine has
>> two logical drives (C: and E:) . I have my wife's PC showing as a
>> line item in My Computer on my C: drive because I mapped it there.
>> However, when I boot into my E: drive, I cannot map her drive to my
>> E: drive because I can't find it when I browse for it. In other
>> words, I cannot access her C: drive from my E: drive - only from my
>> C: drive. I hope this is clearer. Thanks.....
>

> Yes, it's clearer. Thank you. If you had said earlier that you were
> dual-booting, I had missed it.
>
> What operating system are you running when you boot from C: and what
> operating system when you boot from E:?

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>>> In news:7znVe.3026$GK2.2996@lakeread07,
>>> +++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:

>>> I hate to keep harping on the same thing, but you're saying something
>>> wrong, and it isn't clear to me what you mean. You *can't* map it on
>>> your E: drive. Your E: drive is a physical drive on your computer.
>>> You can only map it to a drive that doesn't exist on your computer.
>>> For example, if you don't have a Z: drive, you could map her drive
>>> to Z: --
>>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>>> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 4:55:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

In news:JwDVe.3091$GK2.1815@lakeread07,
+++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:

> Could my firewalls have anything to do with this issue? I have
> Zone
> Alarm and the Windows XP firewalls activated.

Are they both running on both boot drives? If so, probably not.

If not it's possible, but I can't say how likely.

But you shouldn't run two firewalls. You achieve no extra
protection, you incur the extra overhead of running two
firewalls, and you run the risk (probably small, but not zero) of
conflicts between them.

See
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/firewa...

which includes the following:

"Q. Should I use both the built-in firewall and a software
firewall from a different company on my Windows XP computer?

"A. No. Running multiple software firewalls is unnecessary for
typical home computers, home networking, and small-business
networking scenarios. Using two firewalls on the same connection
could cause issues with connectivity to the Internet or other
unexpected behavior. One firewall, whether it is the Windows XP
Internet Connection Firewall or a different software firewall,
can provide substantial protection for your computer."

Also note that if you update your third-party firewall to a new
version, the update routine will probably turn it off first. If
the Windows firewall isn't running, you will temporarily be left
with no running firewall, which is very dangerous. So turn on the
Windows firewall temporarily before doing maintenance on your
third-party firewall.

The Windows firewall monitors incoming traffic only. Almost any
third-party firewall will also monitor outbound traffic, stopping
rogue programs trying to call home, and is a better choice.

Please reply to the newsgroup

>> In news:3xqVe.3035$GK2.256@lakeread07,
>> +++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:
>>> I'll try another way to explain my problem:
>>>
>>> I have two computers on my network - my wife's and mine.
>>> Both have
>>> one physical drive. Her's has one logical drive (C:)  and
>>> mine has
>>> two logical drives (C: and E:) . I have my wife's PC showing
>>> as a
>>> line item in My Computer on my C: drive because I mapped it
>>> there.
>>> However, when I boot into my E: drive, I cannot map her drive
>>> to my
>>> E: drive because I can't find it when I browse for it. In
>>> other
>>> words, I cannot access her C: drive from my E: drive - only
>>> from my
>>> C: drive. I hope this is clearer. Thanks.....
>>

>> Yes, it's clearer. Thank you. If you had said earlier that you
>> were
>> dual-booting, I had missed it.
>>
>> What operating system are you running when you boot from C:
>> and what
>> operating system when you boot from E:?
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>

>>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
>>> message

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 5:23:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I use the E: drive to back up my C: drive. If I try a backup from the C:
drive, it won't back up files that are in use by the operating system.

> In news:qpDVe.3090$GK2.1321@lakeread07
> ,
> +++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:
>> I'm using the same operating system on both the C: and E: drives -
>> Windows XP Pro - on MY computer.
>

> It's unlikely that it has anything to do with your problem, but as an
> aside, why do you have two installations of the same operating system on
> your computer?

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

>> Perhaps I should start from the beginning to set up mt E: drive on the
>> network - but I'd have to ask you to walk me through it.
>>

>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>>> In news:3xqVe.3035$GK2.256@lakeread07,
>>> +++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:

>>> Yes, it's clearer. Thank you. If you had said earlier that you were
>>> dual-booting, I had missed it.
>>>
>>> What operating system are you running when you boot from C: and what
>>> operating system when you boot from E:?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>>> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 5:23:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

In news:HWDVe.3094$GK2.1939@lakeread07,
+++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:

> I use the E: drive to back up my C: drive. If I try a backup
> from
> the C: drive, it won't back up files that are in use by the
> operating
> system.

You're doing it the hard way. You need only one copy of the
operating system, but you need better backup software. If you
want to back up the entire disk, get a product like Ghost,
DriveImage, or TrueImage

Also, if you've installed a single copy of Windows twice, even on
the same machine, you're probably in violation of the EULA.

But most important, if you're backing up to a second partition on
a single physical drive, if I were you, I'd rethink that backup
strategy entirely. The backup issue, in my view, is much more
significant than your networking problem.
I don't recommend backup to a second non-removable hard drive
(even if were a second physical drive) because it leaves you
susceptible to simultaneous loss of the original and backup to
many of the most common dangers: severe power glitches, nearby
lightning strikes, virus attacks, even theft of the computer. In
your case, backup up to a second partition, add head crashes to
the list of vulneravilities.

In my view, secure backup needs to be on removable media, and not
kept in the computer. For really secure backup (needed, for
example, if the life of your business depends on your data) you
should have multiple generations of backup, and at least one of
those generations should be stored off-site.

My computer isn't used for business, but my personal backup
scheme uses two identical removable hard drives, which fit into a
sleeve installed in the computer. I alternate between the two,
and use Drive Image to make a complete copy of the primary drive.

Please reply to the newsgroup

>> In news:qpDVe.3090$GK2.1321@lakeread07
>> ,
>> +++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:
>>> I'm using the same operating system on both the C: and E:
>>> drives -
>>> Windows XP Pro - on MY computer.
>>

>> It's unlikely that it has anything to do with your problem,
>> but as an
>> aside, why do you have two installations of the same operating
>> system on your computer?
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>

>>> Perhaps I should start from the beginning to set up mt E:
>>> drive on
>>> the network - but I'd have to ask you to walk me through it.
>>>

>>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
>>> message

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 5:27:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

OK, I turned of the Windows firewall.

> In news:JwDVe.3091$GK2.1815@lakeread07,
> +++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:
>
>> Could my firewalls have anything to do with this issue? I have Zone
>> Alarm and the Windows XP firewalls activated.
>

> Are they both running on both boot drives? If so, probably not.
>
> If not it's possible, but I can't say how likely.
>
> But you shouldn't run two firewalls. You achieve no extra protection, you
> incur the extra overhead of running two firewalls, and you run the risk
> (probably small, but not zero) of conflicts between them.
>
> See http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/firewa...
>
> which includes the following:
>
> "Q. Should I use both the built-in firewall and a software firewall from a
> different company on my Windows XP computer?
>

> "A. No. Running multiple software firewalls is unnecessary for typical
> home computers, home networking, and small-business networking scenarios.
> Using two firewalls on the same connection could cause issues with
> connectivity to the Internet or other unexpected behavior. One firewall,
> whether it is the Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall or a different
> software firewall, can provide substantial protection for your computer."
>

> Also note that if you update your third-party firewall to a new version,
> the update routine will probably turn it off first. If the Windows
> firewall isn't running, you will temporarily be left with no running
> firewall, which is very dangerous. So turn on the Windows firewall
> temporarily before doing maintenance on your third-party firewall.
>

> The Windows firewall monitors incoming traffic only. Almost any
> third-party firewall will also monitor outbound traffic, stopping rogue
> programs trying to call home, and is a better choice.

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>>> In news:3xqVe.3035$GK2.256@lakeread07,
>>> +++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:

>>> Yes, it's clearer. Thank you. If you had said earlier that you were
>>> dual-booting, I had missed it.
>>>
>>> What operating system are you running when you boot from C: and what
>>> operating system when you boot from E:?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>>> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 11:17:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

For my backup from drive E:, I am backing up to a Maxtor 250GB external
drive. In addition, I use Ghost to copy my physical drive to an identical
physical drive at least once a week. This drive is then removed and stored
off-site.

I still have the networking issue.

> In news:HWDVe.3094$GK2.1939@lakeread07,
> +++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:
>
>> I use the E: drive to back up my C: drive. If I try a backup from
>> the C: drive, it won't back up files that are in use by the operating
>> system.
>

> You're doing it the hard way. You need only one copy of the operating
> system, but you need better backup software. If you want to back up the
> entire disk, get a product like Ghost, DriveImage, or TrueImage
>
> Also, if you've installed a single copy of Windows twice, even on the same
> machine, you're probably in violation of the EULA.
>
> But most important, if you're backing up to a second partition on a single
> physical drive, if I were you, I'd rethink that backup strategy entirely.
> The backup issue, in my view, is much more significant than your
> networking problem.
> I don't recommend backup to a second non-removable hard drive (even if
> were a second physical drive) because it leaves you susceptible to
> simultaneous loss of the original and backup to many of the most common
> dangers: severe power glitches, nearby lightning strikes, virus attacks,
> even theft of the computer. In your case, backup up to a second partition,
> add head crashes to the list of vulneravilities.
>

> In my view, secure backup needs to be on removable media, and not kept in
> the computer. For really secure backup (needed, for example, if the life
> of your business depends on your data) you should have multiple
> generations of backup, and at least one of those generations should be
> stored off-site.
>
> My computer isn't used for business, but my personal backup scheme uses
> two identical removable hard drives, which fit into a sleeve installed in
> the computer. I alternate between the two, and use Drive Image to make a
> complete copy of the primary drive.

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>>> In news:qpDVe.3090$GK2.1321@lakeread07
>>> ,
>>> +++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:
>>>

>>> It's unlikely that it has anything to do with your problem, but as an
>>> aside, why do you have two installations of the same operating
>>> system on your computer?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>>> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
September 14, 2005 2:15:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

As for the "networking issue" I suggest that you use the settings you
have for the operating system on "C:" as a template for the E: install.
You may need to remove ZA for the moment and perhaps disable the Windows
XP one until you "connect". Then install the ZA one if you want to use
it. But you shouldn't have two running.

!