Can't find a networked drive

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I have two computers in my home connected through a hard wired router. One
uses Windows XP Home Edition (my wife's computer) and one uses Windows XP
Pro. The PC with the Pro edition has two logical drives. One is very small
(3GB) and I only use it to back up my other drives. It also uses Windows XP
Pro as the OS. This is my E: drive. From my C: drive, I can 'see' my other
PC (my wife's computer) which I want to back up. However, from my E: drive,
I cannot 'see' my other PC. Therefore, I can't map it to my backup
software. I CAN ping my wife's computer so I know it can be seen that way.
This is probably a quirk between the Home Edition and the Pro edition. Does
anyone know how to map this drive? Thanks........

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Is the drive actually shared?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

+++Bobby "O"+++ wrote:
> I have two computers in my home connected through a hard wired router. One
> uses Windows XP Home Edition (my wife's computer) and one uses Windows XP
> Pro. The PC with the Pro edition has two logical drives. One is very small
> (3GB) and I only use it to back up my other drives. It also uses Windows XP
> Pro as the OS. This is my E: drive. From my C: drive, I can 'see' my other
> PC (my wife's computer) which I want to back up. However, from my E: drive,
> I cannot 'see' my other PC. Therefore, I can't map it to my backup
> software. I CAN ping my wife's computer so I know it can be seen that way.
> This is probably a quirk between the Home Edition and the Pro edition. Does
> anyone know how to map this drive? Thanks........

You didn't say what router you had. After using the *Network Setup
Wizard*, I still had to do some configuring in the router's web page.
Now with the E: drive being that small, it is FAT32 by default (unless
you converted it). It will NOT see NTFS partitions.

--
System A
Athlon 1900+ overclocked to 1620 MHz

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Back to your studies Lisa,

Over a network you can happily view both NTFS and FAT32 files. It is only
Windows9x systems that cannot view NTFS files and folders on a LOCAL drive.
XP can see both wherever the drive may be, provided it has the appropriate
permissions.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Lisa West" <lisaj@NO_SPAM.si.rr.com.NO_CAPS> wrote in message
drive? Thanks........

> You didn't say what router you had. After using the *Network Setup
> Wizard*, I still had to do some configuring in the router's web page. Now
> with the E: drive being that small, it is FAT32 by default (unless you
> converted it). It will NOT see NTFS partitions.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Yes - because I can see it on my other logical drive (the C: drive).

In news:HP3Ve.30574$%w.9307@twister.nyc.rr.com,
Lisa West <lisaj@NO_SPAM.si.rr.com.NO_CAPS> typed:

> +++Bobby "O"+++ wrote:
>> I have two computers in my home connected through a hard wired
>> router. One uses Windows XP Home Edition (my wife's computer)
>> and
>> one uses Windows XP Pro. The PC with the Pro edition has two
>> logical drives. One is very small (3GB) and I only use it to
>> back
>> up my other drives. It also uses Windows XP Pro as the OS.
>> This is
>> my E: drive. From my C: drive, I can 'see' my other PC (my
>> wife's
>> computer) which I want to back up. However, from my E: drive,
>> cannot 'see' my other PC. Therefore, I can't map it to my
>> backup
>> software. I CAN ping my wife's computer so I know it can be
>> seen
>> that way. This is probably a quirk between the Home Edition
>> and the
>> Pro edition. Does anyone know how to map this drive?
>> Thanks........
> You didn't say what router you had. After using the *Network
> Setup
> Wizard*, I still had to do some configuring in the router's web
> page.
> Now with the E: drive being that small, it is FAT32 by default
> (unless
> you converted it). It will NOT see NTFS partitions.

No, this is not at all correct, on several counts.

First of all, there is no question of FAT32 seeing NTFS
partitions, nor of NTFS seeing FAT32 partitions. It's the
operating system that sees partitions, not the partition
themselves or the file systems on them.

Second, Windows XP, whether Home or Professional, can see any and
all combinations of NTFS, FAT12, FAT16, and FAT32, regardless of
what file system it itself is installed on.

Third, over a network, it doesn't even matter that it's Windows
XP. It's data that's moved over the network, without it's
underlying file structure. That means that even a Windows 98
computer can access data on an NTFS partition across the network.

Fourth, even with drives as small as 3GB, FAT32 is not the
default. You get to choose which file system you want. The only
restriction in Windows XP is that with drives over 32GB, FAT32 is
not a choice (although you can create FAT32 partitions larger
than 32GB with an external program).

Please reply to the newsgroup

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Did you try Adding a Network Place....

\\WifesPC\nameofdrive

Where WifesPC is the Name of your wife's PC and nameofdrive is the name of
the drive, often just C:

Sometimes you have to 'force' XP to 'see' stuff.

--

> Yes - because I can see it on my other logical drive (the C: drive).
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
>> Is the drive actually shared?
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>

>> "+++Bobby "O"+++" <rmo555@cox.net> wrote in message
>>>I have two computers in my home connected through a hard wired router.
>>>One uses Windows XP Home Edition (my wife's computer) and one uses
>>>Windows XP Pro. The PC with the Pro edition has two logical drives. One
>>>is very small (3GB) and I only use it to back up my other drives. It
>>>also uses Windows XP Pro as the OS. This is my E: drive. From my C:
>>>drive, I can 'see' my other PC (my wife's computer) which I want to back
>>>up. However, from my E: drive, I cannot 'see' my other PC. Therefore, I
>>>can't map it to my backup software. I CAN ping my wife's computer so I
>>>know it can be seen that way. This is probably a quirk between the Home
>>>Edition and the Pro edition. Does anyone know how to map this drive?
>>>Thanks........

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Thanks for the information - it helps me to understand what is correct.
However, I still can't 'see' my wife's computer from my E: drive - but can
see it from my C: drive (same physical drive). I still need a way to see
her drive so I can access it for backup purposes. There must be a way.
Thanks..

In news:IqjVe.3002$GK2.1085@lakeread07,
+++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:

> Thanks for the information - it helps me to understand what is
> correct. However, I still can't 'see' my wife's computer from
> my E:
> drive - but can see it from my C: drive (same physical drive).
> still need a way to see her drive so I can access it for backup
> purposes. There must be a way. Thanks..

You're welcome. I was just trying to correct erroneous
information.

But I don't understand what you mean when you say "I still can't
'see' my wife's computer from my E:
drive - but can see it from my C: drive (same physical drive)."

You don't see a computer from a drive. You see it from someplace
like Windows Explorer. Can you be more explicit and explain
exactly what you're trying to do, and how?

Please reply to the newsgroup

>> In news:HP3Ve.30574$%w.9307@twister.nyc.rr.com,
>> Lisa West <lisaj@NO_SPAM.si.rr.com.NO_CAPS> typed:

>>> You didn't say what router you had. After using the *Network
>>> Setup
>>> Wizard*, I still had to do some configuring in the router's
>>> web
>>> page. Now with the E: drive being that small, it is FAT32 by
>>> default (unless you converted it). It will NOT see NTFS
>>> partitions.
>>

>> No, this is not at all correct, on several counts.
>>
>> First of all, there is no question of FAT32 seeing NTFS
>> partitions,
>> nor of NTFS seeing FAT32 partitions. It's the operating system
>> that
>> sees partitions, not the partition themselves or the file
>> systems on
>> them. Second, Windows XP, whether Home or Professional, can
>> see any and all
>> combinations of NTFS, FAT12, FAT16, and FAT32, regardless of
>> what
>> file system it itself is installed on.
>>
>> Third, over a network, it doesn't even matter that it's
>> Windows XP.
>> It's data that's moved over the network, without it's
>> underlying file
>> structure. That means that even a Windows 98 computer can
>> access
>> data on an NTFS partition across the network.
>>
>> Fourth, even with drives as small as 3GB, FAT32 is not the
>> default.
>> You get to choose which file system you want. The only
>> restriction
>> in Windows XP is that with drives over 32GB, FAT32 is not a
>> choice
>> (although you can create FAT32 partitions larger than 32GB
>> with an
>> external program). --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Yes, it does not show up in Windows Explorer or My Computer on my E: drive.
I have given permission to access my wife's drive and it is listed in
Windows Explorer and My Computer on my C: drive. My E: and C: drive are on
the same physical drive on my PC.

In news:EkmVe.3018$GK2.2598@lakeread07,
+++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:

> Yes, it does not show up in Windows Explorer or My Computer on
> my E:
> drive. I have given permission to access my wife's drive and it
> is
> listed in Windows Explorer and My Computer on my C: drive. My
> E: and
> C: drive are on the same physical drive on my PC.

Sorry to keep saying the same thing, but I still don't understand
what you mean. Your wife's drive is not on your C: drive nor is
it on your E: drive. You can't see it *on* either of those drives
because it isn't there.

When you go to Windows Explorer, you should see *all* the drives
that are there, including any mapped network drives. If your
wife's drive isn't mapped, it isn't there to see.

Please reply to the newsgroup

>> In news:IqjVe.3002$GK2.1085@lakeread07,
>> +++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:
>>
>>> Thanks for the information - it helps me to understand what
>>> is
>>> correct. However, I still can't 'see' my wife's computer from
>>> my E:
>>> drive - but can see it from my C: drive (same physical
>>> drive). I
>>> still need a way to see her drive so I can access it for
>>> backup
>>> purposes. There must be a way. Thanks..
>>

>> You're welcome. I was just trying to correct erroneous
>> information.
>>
>> But I don't understand what you mean when you say "I still
>> can't
>> 'see' my wife's computer from my E:
>> drive - but can see it from my C: drive (same physical
>> drive)."
>>
>> You don't see a computer from a drive. You see it from
>> someplace like
>> Windows Explorer. Can you be more explicit and explain exactly
>> what
>> you're trying to do, and how?
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>

>>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
>>> message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

If you want your wife's C drive to show in "My Computer" on YOUR system,
right click My Network Places, choose Map Network Drive, and browse to the
drive on her machine.
You will need to assign it a drive letter when prompted.

--
A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
"+++Bobby "O"+++" <rmo555@cox.net> wrote in message
> Yes, it does not show up in Windows Explorer or My Computer on my E:
> drive. I have given permission to access my wife's drive and it is listed
> in Windows Explorer and My Computer on my C: drive. My E: and C: drive
> are on the same physical drive on my PC.

>> In news:IqjVe.3002$GK2.1085@lakeread07,
>> +++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:
>>
>>> Thanks for the information - it helps me to understand what is
>>> correct. However, I still can't 'see' my wife's computer from my E:
>>> drive - but can see it from my C: drive (same physical drive). I
>>> still need a way to see her drive so I can access it for backup
>>> purposes. There must be a way. Thanks..
>>

>> You're welcome. I was just trying to correct erroneous information.
>>
>> But I don't understand what you mean when you say "I still can't 'see' my
>> wife's computer from my E:
>> drive - but can see it from my C: drive (same physical drive)."
>>
>> You don't see a computer from a drive. You see it from someplace like
>> Windows Explorer. Can you be more explicit and explain exactly what
>> you're trying to do, and how?
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>

>>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

OK, I tried to map it on my E: drive - but couldn't find it to map. Maybe
I'm doing something wrong - but I had a corporate guru try - and he couldn't
figure it out either. Perhaps, if you walked me through the steps (and it
doesn't work), I could tell you where in the process I have the problem.

> In news:EkmVe.3018$GK2.2598@lakeread07,
> +++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:
>
>> Yes, it does not show up in Windows Explorer or My Computer on my E:
>> drive. I have given permission to access my wife's drive and it is
>> listed in Windows Explorer and My Computer on my C: drive. My E: and
>> C: drive are on the same physical drive on my PC.
>

> Sorry to keep saying the same thing, but I still don't understand what you
> mean. Your wife's drive is not on your C: drive nor is it on your E:
> drive. You can't see it *on* either of those drives because it isn't
> there.
>
> When you go to Windows Explorer, you should see *all* the drives that are
> there, including any mapped network drives. If your wife's drive isn't
> mapped, it isn't there to see.

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>>> In news:IqjVe.3002$GK2.1085@lakeread07,
>>> +++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:

>>> You're welcome. I was just trying to correct erroneous information.
>>>
>>> But I don't understand what you mean when you say "I still can't
>>> 'see' my wife's computer from my E:
>>> drive - but can see it from my C: drive (same physical drive)."
>>>
>>> You don't see a computer from a drive. You see it from someplace like
>>> Windows Explorer. Can you be more explicit and explain exactly what
>>> you're trying to do, and how?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>>> Please reply to the newsgroup

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

If you used the default share on the wife's machine, it may show as $C:
instead of C: and may not be visible.
Did you set the permissions on her drive to 'allow network users to change
my files'? Or did you grant specific access only?

--
> OK, I tried to map it on my E: drive - but couldn't find it to map. Maybe
> I'm doing something wrong - but I had a corporate guru try - and he
> couldn't figure it out either. Perhaps, if you walked me through the
> steps (and it doesn't work), I could tell you where in the process I have
> the problem.

<snip>

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

In news:7znVe.3026$GK2.2996@lakeread07,
+++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:

> OK, I tried to map it on my E: drive - but couldn't find it to
> map.

I hate to keep harping on the same thing, but you're saying
something wrong, and it isn't clear to me what you mean. You
*can't* map it on your E: drive. Your E: drive is a physical
drive on your computer. You can only map it to a drive that
doesn't exist on your computer. For example, if you don't have a
Z: drive, you could map her drive to Z:

Please reply to the newsgroup

> Maybe I'm doing something wrong - but I had a corporate guru
> try -
> and he couldn't figure it out either. Perhaps, if you walked
> me
> through the steps (and it doesn't work), I could tell you where
> in
> the process I have the problem.

>> In news:EkmVe.3018$GK2.2598@lakeread07,
>> +++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:
>>
>>> Yes, it does not show up in Windows Explorer or My Computer
>>> on my E:
>>> drive. I have given permission to access my wife's drive and
>>> it is
>>> listed in Windows Explorer and My Computer on my C: drive.
>>> My E:
>>> and C: drive are on the same physical drive on my PC.
>>

>> Sorry to keep saying the same thing, but I still don't
>> understand
>> what you mean. Your wife's drive is not on your C: drive nor
>> is it
>> on your E: drive. You can't see it *on* either of those drives
>> because it isn't there.
>>
>> When you go to Windows Explorer, you should see *all* the
>> drives
>> that are there, including any mapped network drives. If your
>> wife's
>> drive isn't mapped, it isn't there to see.
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>

>>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
>>> message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

When I browse, her drive doesn't show up.

> If you used the default share on the wife's machine, it may show as $C:
> instead of C: and may not be visible.

Tried $C - didn't work.

> Did you set the permissions on her drive to 'allow network users to change
> my files'? Or did you grant specific access only?

I set it so that I could change her files if I desired. Not that I would,
but at home, I'm the network administrator.

> --
> A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
> "+++Bobby "O"+++" <rmo555@cox.net> wrote in message
>> OK, I tried to map it on my E: drive - but couldn't find it to map.
>> Maybe I'm doing something wrong - but I had a corporate guru try - and he
>> couldn't figure it out either. Perhaps, if you walked me through the
>> steps (and it doesn't work), I could tell you where in the process I have
>> the problem.

> <snip>

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

If you had a network guru look at it, I'm sure he checked to be sure you
were both on the same workgroup and had the same subnet mask in network
properties. If NOT, make sure they are the same.
If you are using DHCP for an automatic IP address from the same router, that
should all be by default.
OTOH, if you were messing with the router settings, did you mess with MAC
address filtering or change the number of addresses provided by the DHCP
server? You have to have the router set to at least as many addresses as you
have machines.
Can you see your machine from browsing the network on hers?

--
> "NotMe" <cargod01@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> If you used the default share on the wife's machine, it may show as $C:
>> instead of C: and may not be visible.

> Tried $C - didn't work.

>> Did you set the permissions on her drive to 'allow network users to
>> change my files'? Or did you grant specific access only?

> I set it so that I could change her files if I desired. Not that I would,
> but at home, I'm the network administrator.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I'll try another way to explain my problem:

I have two computers on my network - my wife's and mine. Both have one
physical drive. Her's has one logical drive (C:) and mine has two logical
drives (C: and E:). I have my wife's PC showing as a line item in My
Computer on my C: drive because I mapped it there. However, when I boot
into my E: drive, I cannot map her drive to my E: drive because I can't find
it when I browse for it. In other words, I cannot access her C: drive from
my E: drive - only from my C: drive. I hope this is clearer. Thanks.....

> In news:7znVe.3026$GK2.2996@lakeread07,
> +++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:
>
>> OK, I tried to map it on my E: drive - but couldn't find it to map.
>

> I hate to keep harping on the same thing, but you're saying something
> wrong, and it isn't clear to me what you mean. You *can't* map it on your
> E: drive. Your E: drive is a physical drive on your computer. You can only
> map it to a drive that doesn't exist on your computer. For example, if you
> don't have a Z: drive, you could map her drive to Z:

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

>> Maybe I'm doing something wrong - but I had a corporate guru try -
>> and he couldn't figure it out either. Perhaps, if you walked me
>> through the steps (and it doesn't work), I could tell you where in
>> the process I have the problem.
>>
>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>>> In news:EkmVe.3018$GK2.2598@lakeread07,
>>> +++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:

>>> Sorry to keep saying the same thing, but I still don't understand
>>> what you mean. Your wife's drive is not on your C: drive nor is it
>>> on your E: drive. You can't see it *on* either of those drives
>>> because it isn't there.
>>>
>>> When you go to Windows Explorer, you should see *all* the drives
>>> that are there, including any mapped network drives. If your wife's
>>> drive isn't mapped, it isn't there to see.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>>> Please reply to the newsgroup

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

And what is the Username/password combination when you "boot into E:" as
compared to when you "boot into C:" ? You really need to start from the
top on this, all the little "gotchas" that you keep adding in are
keeping people from figuring out where the problem is.

In news:3xqVe.3035$GK2.256@lakeread07,
+++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:
> I'll try another way to explain my problem:
>
> I have two computers on my network - my wife's and mine. Both
> have
> one physical drive. Her's has one logical drive (C:) and mine
> has
> two logical drives (C: and E:). I have my wife's PC showing as
> line item in My Computer on my C: drive because I mapped it
> there. However, when I boot into my E: drive, I cannot map her
> drive to my
> E: drive because I can't find it when I browse for it. In
> other
> words, I cannot access her C: drive from my E: drive - only
> from my
> C: drive. I hope this is clearer. Thanks.....

Yes, it's clearer. Thank you. If you had said earlier that you
were dual-booting, I had missed it.

What operating system are you running when you boot from C: and
what operating system when you boot from E:?

Please reply to the newsgroup

>> In news:7znVe.3026$GK2.2996@lakeread07,
>> +++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:
>>
>>> OK, I tried to map it on my E: drive - but couldn't find it
>>> to map.
>>

>> I hate to keep harping on the same thing, but you're saying
>> something
>> wrong, and it isn't clear to me what you mean. You *can't* map
>> it on
>> your E: drive. Your E: drive is a physical drive on your
>> computer.
>> You can only map it to a drive that doesn't exist on your
>> computer.
>> For example, if you don't have a Z: drive, you could map her
>> drive
>> to Z: --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>

>>> Maybe I'm doing something wrong - but I had a corporate guru
>>> try -
>>> and he couldn't figure it out either. Perhaps, if you walked
>>> me
>>> through the steps (and it doesn't work), I could tell you
>>> where in
>>> the process I have the problem.
>>>
>>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
>>> message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

The Username and Password are the same for both the E: and C: drives on my
PC.

> And what is the Username/password combination when you "boot into E:" as
> compared to when you "boot into C:" ? You really need to start from the
> top on this, all the little "gotchas" that you keep adding in are keeping
> people from figuring out where the problem is.
>
> +++Bobby "O"+++ wrote:
>
>> I'll try another way to explain my problem:
>>
>> I have two computers on my network - my wife's and mine. Both have one
>> physical drive. Her's has one logical drive (C:) and mine has two
>> logical drives (C: and E:). I have my wife's PC showing as a line item
>> in My Computer on my C: drive because I mapped it there. However, when I
>> boot into my E: drive, I cannot map her drive to my E: drive because I
>> can't find it when I browse for it. In other words, I cannot access her
>> C: drive from my E: drive - only from my C: drive. I hope this is
>> clearer. Thanks.....
>>

>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>>
>>>In news:7znVe.3026$GK2.2996@lakeread07,
>>>+++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:

>>>I hate to keep harping on the same thing, but you're saying something
>>>wrong, and it isn't clear to me what you mean. You *can't* map it on your
>>>E: drive. Your E: drive is a physical drive on your computer. You can
>>>only map it to a drive that doesn't exist on your computer. For example,
>>>if you don't have a Z: drive, you could map her drive to Z:
>>>
>>>--
>>>Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>>>Please reply to the newsgroup

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

And the operating system you are booting from on E:? And if XP is the
Firewall disabled? And is the workgroup the same on that operating sysem?

> And the operating system you are booting from on E:?

I've already answered this - Windows XP Pro

And if XP is the
> Firewall disabled?

It is NOT disabled on either my C: or E: drive - but I CAN access my wife's
C: drive from MY C: drive.

And is the workgroup the same on that operating sysem?

The workgroup is the same.

> +++Bobby "O"+++ wrote:
>
>> The Username and Password are the same for both the E: and C: drives on
>> my PC.
>>

>> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>And what is the Username/password combination when you "boot into E:" as
>>>compared to when you "boot into C:" ? You really need to start from the
>>>top on this, all the little "gotchas" that you keep adding in are keeping
>>>people from figuring out where the problem is.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Disable firewall till AFTER you map the drive. Also check the ip address
that you are using. It boils down to you haven't set up networking
properly on the "second operating system" that you have on the PC.