New Build no display GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Hello, I am building a computer for the first time and i got through most of the build but then when i went to try it out the monitor was not detected. The motherboard has no possible way to connect the monitor to it, so i had to connect it to the GTX 550 ti, and when i go over to the monitor it is on, but it does not detect anything.
22 answers Last reply
More about build display geforce
  1. is the gpu seated properly as well as the 6 pin connector connected. Is the motherboard making any beeps? which kind of display cable are you using.
  2. FULL SYSTEM SPECS!
  3. motherboard - asus m5a97 amd 970
    CPU - amd phenom II X4 965
    RAM - patriot 2 x 4gb
    Graphics - EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti Superclocked 1GB DDR5
    Cooler master elite 460W power supply
    no operating system installed yet, i cant even get it connected to a monitor

i switched the gpu from one of the pci-e slots to the other 1 still nothing. When i turn it on it makes two beeps fast then nothing. i am using a dell in1910n monitor vga connection with a dvi-to-vga adapter.
  4. Are those connections secure?
  5. the gtx 550 ti to the power supply i have a 6 pin to (not sure what they are called) 2 white 4 long pin connectors then i have those two white ones plugged into the power supply. That 6 to 2x4 pin thing came with the card so i figured i needed it. the vga cable and the dvi adapter are screwed all the way in
  6. You want the 6 pin itself to be plugged in from the power supply.
  7. molex to pci-e connectors arent always the best. if the psu doesnt have its own 6 pin connector, then it probably originally wasn't design to run higher end gpus with 6 pins on them. the molex to 6 pin is generally aimed at units that only have one 6 pin connector, with a low end card that has 2 6 pin connector slots(psus with 1 6 pin connector that can handle stuff for example is the antec earthwatts green 430w, which probably had 1 6 pin to cut cost.)
  8. amuffin said:
    You want the 6 pin itself to be plugged in from the power supply.

ok i just did that and still nothing
  9. dudewitbow said:
    molex to pci-e connectors arent always the best. if the psu doesnt have its own 6 pin connector, then it probably originally wasn't design to run higher end gpus with 6 pins on them. the molex to 6 pin is generally aimed at units that only have one 6 pin connector, with a low end card that has 2 6 pin connector slots(psus with 1 6 pin connector that can handle stuff for example is the antec earthwatts green 430w, which probably had 1 6 pin to cut cost.)

the psu does has a 6 pin connector i plugged that in now and still no display, there is a driver disk that came with my the 550 ti, do i need to install that? but how if i don't have anything to look at.
  10. oh and also the fan on the 550 ti is running but there is no display, i'm not sure if that helps.
  11. just to be sure, how are the beeps working exactly. the mobo manual stats that its seperated from short beeps, and continuous beep, sorta like morse code.
  12. is just goes beep beep like 1 2, then no more sounds but the LEDS are on, all the fans are running, the cd drive works, the monitor is on but there is no display.
  13. according to your manual it says

one short beep: vga detected, quick boot disabled, no keyboard
    1 continuous beep followed by 2 short beeps(then repeat after a pause): no memory detected(ram)
    1 continuous beep followed by 3 short beeps: no video card detected
    1 continuous beep followed by 4 short beeps: Hardware failure
  14. Could be just a bad GPU. Do you have an old one to try instead?
  15. test with only one stick of RAM.
  16. dudewitbow said:
    according to your manual it says

one short beep: vga detected, quick boot disabled, no keyboard
    1 continuous beep followed by 2 short beeps(then repeat after a pause): no memory detected(ram)
    1 continuous beep followed by 3 short beeps: no video card detected
    1 continuous beep followed by 4 short beeps: Hardware failure

im actually not sure the two beeps are coming from the actual motherboard, but yes there are two beeps not any of those above :??:
  17. Delirious788 said:
    Could be just a bad GPU. Do you have an old one to try instead?

the gpu just arrived in the mail today from tiger direct, i opened it then put it in the computer, i guess it still could be bad. Is there anyway i could return it for a another one, do you know? i do have an old one in my brothers computer but i wont be able to try that until tomorrow most likely.
  18. Anonymous said:
    test with only one stick of RAM.

just did, still nothing
  19. james00 said:
    just did, still nothing

did the beeps change at all?
  20. dudewitbow said:
    did the beeps change at all?

Nope
  21. Did you check with one stick of RAM in each slot separately? I had the same problem, and it turned out two of the RAM slots on my motherboard were dead..
  22. Did you try the second DVI output?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Monitors New Build Graphics