Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Build no display GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 10, 2012 3:34:02 AM

Hello, I am building a computer for the first time and i got through most of the build but then when i went to try it out the monitor was not detected. The motherboard has no possible way to connect the monitor to it, so i had to connect it to the GTX 550 ti, and when i go over to the monitor it is on, but it does not detect anything.
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 10, 2012 3:39:31 AM

is the gpu seated properly as well as the 6 pin connector connected. Is the motherboard making any beeps? which kind of display cable are you using.
m
0
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
August 10, 2012 3:40:15 AM

FULL SYSTEM SPECS!
m
0
l
Related resources
August 10, 2012 3:49:10 AM

motherboard - asus m5a97 amd 970
CPU - amd phenom II X4 965
RAM - patriot 2 x 4gb
Graphics - EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti Superclocked 1GB DDR5
Cooler master elite 460W power supply
no operating system installed yet, i cant even get it connected to a monitor

i switched the gpu from one of the pci-e slots to the other 1 still nothing. When i turn it on it makes two beeps fast then nothing. i am using a dell in1910n monitor vga connection with a dvi-to-vga adapter.
m
0
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
August 10, 2012 3:52:10 AM

Are those connections secure?
m
0
l
August 10, 2012 3:54:26 AM

the gtx 550 ti to the power supply i have a 6 pin to (not sure what they are called) 2 white 4 long pin connectors then i have those two white ones plugged into the power supply. That 6 to 2x4 pin thing came with the card so i figured i needed it. the vga cable and the dvi adapter are screwed all the way in
m
0
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
August 10, 2012 4:01:05 AM

You want the 6 pin itself to be plugged in from the power supply.
m
0
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 10, 2012 4:01:58 AM

molex to pci-e connectors arent always the best. if the psu doesnt have its own 6 pin connector, then it probably originally wasn't design to run higher end gpus with 6 pins on them. the molex to 6 pin is generally aimed at units that only have one 6 pin connector, with a low end card that has 2 6 pin connector slots(psus with 1 6 pin connector that can handle stuff for example is the antec earthwatts green 430w, which probably had 1 6 pin to cut cost.)
m
0
l
August 10, 2012 4:04:34 AM

amuffin said:
You want the 6 pin itself to be plugged in from the power supply.

ok i just did that and still nothing
m
0
l
August 10, 2012 4:04:57 AM

dudewitbow said:
molex to pci-e connectors arent always the best. if the psu doesnt have its own 6 pin connector, then it probably originally wasn't design to run higher end gpus with 6 pins on them. the molex to 6 pin is generally aimed at units that only have one 6 pin connector, with a low end card that has 2 6 pin connector slots(psus with 1 6 pin connector that can handle stuff for example is the antec earthwatts green 430w, which probably had 1 6 pin to cut cost.)

the psu does has a 6 pin connector i plugged that in now and still no display, there is a driver disk that came with my the 550 ti, do i need to install that? but how if i don't have anything to look at.
m
0
l
August 10, 2012 4:08:54 AM

oh and also the fan on the 550 ti is running but there is no display, i'm not sure if that helps.
m
0
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 10, 2012 4:10:21 AM

just to be sure, how are the beeps working exactly. the mobo manual stats that its seperated from short beeps, and continuous beep, sorta like morse code.
m
0
l
August 10, 2012 4:13:38 AM

is just goes beep beep like 1 2, then no more sounds but the LEDS are on, all the fans are running, the cd drive works, the monitor is on but there is no display.
m
0
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 10, 2012 4:18:26 AM

according to your manual it says

one short beep: vga detected, quick boot disabled, no keyboard
1 continuous beep followed by 2 short beeps(then repeat after a pause): no memory detected(ram)
1 continuous beep followed by 3 short beeps: no video card detected
1 continuous beep followed by 4 short beeps: Hardware failure
m
0
l
August 10, 2012 4:22:00 AM

Could be just a bad GPU. Do you have an old one to try instead?
m
0
l
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 10, 2012 4:23:50 AM

test with only one stick of RAM.
m
0
l
August 10, 2012 4:24:58 AM

dudewitbow said:
according to your manual it says

one short beep: vga detected, quick boot disabled, no keyboard
1 continuous beep followed by 2 short beeps(then repeat after a pause): no memory detected(ram)
1 continuous beep followed by 3 short beeps: no video card detected
1 continuous beep followed by 4 short beeps: Hardware failure

im actually not sure the two beeps are coming from the actual motherboard, but yes there are two beeps not any of those above :??: 
m
0
l
August 10, 2012 4:25:23 AM

Delirious788 said:
Could be just a bad GPU. Do you have an old one to try instead?

the gpu just arrived in the mail today from tiger direct, i opened it then put it in the computer, i guess it still could be bad. Is there anyway i could return it for a another one, do you know? i do have an old one in my brothers computer but i wont be able to try that until tomorrow most likely.
m
0
l
August 10, 2012 4:30:42 AM

Anonymous said:
test with only one stick of RAM.

just did, still nothing
m
0
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 10, 2012 4:34:31 AM

james00 said:
just did, still nothing


did the beeps change at all?
m
0
l
August 10, 2012 4:37:36 AM

dudewitbow said:
did the beeps change at all?

Nope
m
0
l
August 10, 2012 4:39:17 AM

Did you check with one stick of RAM in each slot separately? I had the same problem, and it turned out two of the RAM slots on my motherboard were dead..
m
0
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
August 10, 2012 5:52:27 AM

Did you try the second DVI output?
m
0
l
!