Solved

HELP - Detecting IDE drives too long, now computer won't POST

Hello there. The other day my PC won't boot because the "Detecting IDE drives" took too long. I would leave it for minutes, still nothing happened. Now I took out the only IDE drive in my PC, which is the optical drive (all the hard drives are SATA). I took out the IDE cable and the power.

Now when I put everything back together, the computer won't even POST! Did I do anything wrong? I tried putting the cables back again but still no POST.

The computer still turns on, but it'll start for a few seconds, turn off all of the sudden, and then continue running into oblivion. All of the fans are still working, such as the VGA and whatnot.

How will I troubleshoot the computer? I'm a bit noobish when it comes to these things. Thanks.

Here are my specs:

VGA - Palit gtx 550 ti jetstream
CPU - Intel Core 2 E6700 @ 3.3 GHz
Mobo - Gigabyte GA - G41M - Combo
RAM - Corsair DDR3 8GB
PSU - Corsair HX 620
Optical - Lite On 22x IDE
Hard drives - 4 Seagate drives

As you can see my system is quite old, but it fits my needs as I typically do medium gaming, nothing demanding like Battlefield 3.

What could be the problem? Is there a short circuit or something?

Thanks.
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about help detecting drives long computer post
  1. Best answer
    Difficult to say, but the IDE problem was obviously not the root cause. It could be the PSU or the motherboard. There is a picture in this article, that shows defective capacitors on the motherboard. If you find those, It's the mobo.
  2. thanks for the information. i'll try troubleshooting one part at a time to get to the root problem.

there's even no beep in the motherboard. :( i hope it's not the PSU. it's quite a good one. i was hoping to replace the motherboard and processor while retaining the video card and PSU.

thanks again.
  3. The link to the bad capacitors was missing in my first post:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
  4. thanks for the link. i'll get back to you once i open up the PSU. it's a good five years old already, probably six and past the warranty.
  5. Best answer selected by kingthomas.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Systems