Status
Not open for further replies.

xenrail

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
i checked temps for both cpu and gpu.
cpu: 73 highest
gpu: 55~60
i've tested the same scenarios in which i start dipping. after letting the laptop 'rest' i have 0 fps issues. after 3 hours of gaming on that same map, frames start getting choppy and i dip to as low as 30 fps. i've clean unisntalled drivers and reinstalled. tried the beta forceware for the GT 650m. Nothing helps it. Do i just have fault hardware? and if i do how would they go about replacing a mobile GPU? (i have a year warranty & accidental). i also upgraded the 750 gb seagate HDD with a crucial m4 256 gb ssd if there's any possible relevance
if anyone has the answer i'd be extremely grateful as this has been bugging me to no end for the past week :/. this is brand new replacement as well
thanks guys

pezonator

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Those temps look normal. Do you use a notebook cooler? It could be something where if it gets too hot, then it all slows down, sort of like thermal throttling. It could even be the chipset is getting too hot causing issues.

The main thing is to have a notebook cooler.

unlongo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
an easy way to tell is to get a program called realtempGT, start that up then minimize it and go play some games! around the time you notice the FPS drops ingame, look at a nearby clock or a watch to be more exact with seconds. Write down the time quickly and close the game. Double click Real temp on your taskbar and it will reopen. There should be minimum and maximum temperatures listed and a time underneath. Look for the highest and look at the time it was reached, it will read in 24 style though. If it is near when the FPS dropped, it is the CPU Thermal Protection System most likely kicking in.

xenrail

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

I already l how to monitor temps. What I'm trying to diagnose is the cause of performance degrading over present time

I use msiafterburner, HWMonitor, cpuz and gpuz for monitoring system Activity

xenrail

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Some other users of the same model laptop I have told me the icybridge can withstand up to 105 deg C and 70 is the norm so it's not a heat problem. I'm at a loss here...

raph662

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

Then all you need to do is look at the temps and loads when you start seeing the FPS drop. If your CPU is throting down you see its load go down and then a sudden drop in temperature. Same with the GPU.

xenrail

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
based upon your definition of cpu, gpu throttling, i didn't any of these symptoms. gpu temps stay the same throughout the course of the degradation as well as the temp. load looks the same

raph662

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

Yes, but you should still see a dip in load for a few secs, at least I saw it on mine. HWiNFO64 does show clock speed for GPU/CPU, so just make sure it is displaying on-screen.

xenrail

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
im also ran prime95 for a couple minute and my temps were getting as high as 85 and average 79~80? good/bad?

also my cpu and gpu are not throttling. i ran Team fortress 2 until i experienced the performance issues alt tabbed n checked cpu-z and gpu-z. coreclock/memory clock for gpuz ran the same. cpu-z mhz ran at 3.4 continuously. i saw it dip to 1.2 ghz but thats normal with the cpu turbo especially when you alt tab out of the game. it proceeded to jump back to 3.4 moments later

the 1.2 ghz -> 3.4 ghz also happens during idle w/no apps running

TheinsanegamerN

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
The gpu throttling you're describing is common with this laptop. reviewers have the same problem with throttling (see notebookcheck's review). i think dell may have majorly screwed up the bios for their laptop, and it thinks that 67 degrees is way too hot. all the gtx 650 equipped models have this issue. as far as i know, there is no way to get around it, unless you can force the clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.