Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

23-24" 120Hz monitor for GTX 670, help me pick one.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 10, 2012 4:31:17 AM

Hi, I am looking for a 23-24" 120 Hz monitor for my new gaming computer, it will be powered by my GTX670(either the EVGA FTW or MSI PE). I currently can budget the 23" Asus VG236H($329) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... but would consider anything below $450 if there is a good reason beside "it is 24" so it must be better than 23"

I am considering the 2420T model of BenQ($391) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... but not sure if it is worth the extra dollars. If I missed any good 120Hz in the price range please let me know. If you can pick one out of EVGA FTW/MSI PE for me that be helpful too.

Thanks

Best solution

a c 122 C Monitor
August 10, 2012 5:58:14 AM
Share

The Asus you have listed doesn't include 3D Vision 2, which means it lacks lightboost, and may be rather dark with 3D, if you use 3D. I personally bought my monitor not considering the use of 3D other than to experiment with, but it turned out to be extremely fun to use.

The BenQ model listed does not come with a built in emitter and glasses and would require a 2nd purchase to use 3D, but it does support lightboost for 3D Vision 2 if you buy the kit.

BenQ has a different model that includes the kit and emitter built in: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It is $50 over your budget, so I do not know if that's what you want.

Those Catleaps listed above make no mention of being overclocked. From my understanding, the Catleaps are normal 60hz displays overclocked, and usually won't get to 120hz. 100hz is about all you can hope for, which would be great, only they don't mention whether they were overclocked at all, and at those prices and size, I doubt very much those were successful overclocks, as the ones that are cost a lot more.
Related resources
August 10, 2012 6:07:45 AM

bystander said:
The Asus you have listed doesn't include 3D Vision 2, which means it lacks lightboost, and may be rather dark with 3D, if you use 3D. I personally bought my monitor not considering the use of 3D other than to experiment with, but it turned out to be extremely fun to use.

The BenQ model listed does not come with a built in emitter and glasses and would require a 2nd purchase to use 3D, but it does support lightboost for 3D Vision 2 if you buy the kit.

BenQ has a different model that includes the kit and emitter built in: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It is $50 over your budget, so I do not know if that's what you want.

Those Catleaps listed above make no mention of being overclocked. From my understanding, the Catleaps are normal 60hz displays overclocked, and usually won't get to 120hz. 100hz is about all you can hope for, which would be great, only they don't mention whether they were overclocked at all, and at those prices and size, I doubt very much those were successful overclocks, as the ones that are cost a lot more.


Hmm if the 499.99 model BenQ is really that great I guess I could ditch the 149.99 3TB Segate Baracuda(my OS and Game will run through a Samsung 830 SSD anyway) in my build to clear the space for budgeting it, it have been my original plan to ditch HDD short term to guarantee a good 120Hz. But I am having a hard time justifying spending $170 for 3D for fun only, if it doesn't help me in BF3/SC2 and other computer games in the next 3 years I can't just throw away $170 for fun and 1".
a c 122 C Monitor
August 10, 2012 6:13:01 AM

First off, do you plan to use 3D Vision (2)? I personally love it, but if you've used it and not liked it, then it wouldn't matter if it had the 3D Vision 2 built in.

If that is what you are after, then I'd go with the BenQ XL2420TX model, it would be worth the extra costs.
August 10, 2012 6:27:57 AM

Regarding the Catleap frame rate:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/64239-3-yamakasi-catl...

I am NEVER going back to 1080p. I read a lot about these before I got one, the older model with 2BXX can handle a 90-97Hz refresh. Also, because they do not have an On-Screen Display or any extras on the monitor, the input lag is extremely low. These are great for gaming. said:
I am NEVER going back to 1080p. I read a lot about these before I got one, the older model with 2BXX can handle a 90-97Hz refresh. Also, because they do not have an On-Screen Display or any extras on the monitor, the input lag is extremely low. These are great for gaming.


Seem like they are perfectly fine at over 60Hz, if those selling below 330 are still around by the time I order in 3 weeks I am probably grabbing this over the ASUS and BenQ just for the good value. 3D means nothing to me if I am not playing a ton of 3D games which I don't forsee in the near future.
August 10, 2012 6:40:44 AM

sherlockwing said:

3D means nothing to me if I am not playing a ton of 3D games which I don't forsee in the near future.

then catleap is the best choice for you.
August 10, 2012 6:55:25 AM

hellfire24 said:
then catleap is the best choice for you.


2 things about catleap make me a bit cautious about them:

The import duty, don't know when I have to pay those and how much are they.

The shipping which ebay shows to be 11 business days minmum even though I see some users claimed 2-5 business day delivery, if the 2-5 is true I will try it even with the chance of deadpixel(or pay of the no dead pixel), if it is 11 days I will just take my 23" ASUS and be happy.
a c 122 C Monitor
August 10, 2012 3:40:27 PM

sherlockwing said:
Regarding the Catleap frame rate:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/64239-3-yamakasi-catl...



Seem like they are perfectly fine at over 60Hz, if those selling below 330 are still around by the time I order in 3 weeks I am probably grabbing this over the ASUS and BenQ just for the good value. 3D means nothing to me if I am not playing a ton of 3D games which I don't forsee in the near future.


If you've never tried it, I expect your tune to change after you get the new monitor and try it for the heck of it as I did. It's a lot better than the many who have never used it claim it is.
August 10, 2012 3:46:25 PM

bystander said:
If you've never tried it, I expect your tune to change after you get the new monitor and try it for the heck of it as I did. It's a lot better than the many who have never used it claim it is.



I despise paying a hefty premium for something I will never need, plus the ASUS already have 3D Vision(not 2.0 but I could care less) if I wanted to try it. As long as the game I want to play don't come in 3D, I will never pay the $170 premium for the BenQ 2420XT. Plus in the worst case I will just sell this Asus 23" in half a year for about 250 on ebay and buy a 27" ASUS when I can more easily budget it. No need to get that much of a luxury as a starter item when I am more budget restricted atm.

p.s After some reserach on catleap they aren't selling the OC model at 300 ish price anymore, on 120hz.com they jacked the price to 400+ with a 130+ add on to allow 120hz OC. Not something I can justify budgeting right now. Overall the ASUS VG236H with their customer support system and 329.99 price tag seem like a safe buy and good value. I will put it in the build budget for now and spend the extra money on upgrading motherboard from ASUS LV-K to ASRock Extreme 4/6.
August 10, 2012 10:04:26 PM

revro said:
what about this acer 120hz monitors?
http://focus.sk/product.asp?ID=27905 241 eur
http://focus.sk/product.asp?ID=9911 286 eur

also is 120hz that usefull or just a hype?
i might be planning 7970 cf or gtx 690 build when haswell comes. currently i am using iiyama b2475-hds http://focus.sk/product.asp?ID=27585 206 eur


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...|24-009-222^24-009-222-TS%2C24-236-092^24-236-092-TS

120hz from what I heard from gamer on symthic, from multiple BF3 youtubers(lvlcap is one) and others on this forum is useful for FPS games like Battlefield 3 so it is not a hype.
a c 122 C Monitor
August 10, 2012 10:14:11 PM

sherlockwing said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...|24-009-222^24-009-222-TS%2C24-236-092^24-236-092-TS

120hz from what I heard from gamer on symthic, from multiple BF3 youtubers(lvlcap is one) and others on this forum is useful for FPS games like Battlefield 3 so it is not a hype.


Go for the ASUS, have fun. I do expect you'll like the 3D a lot more than you currently think, but as you said, it still has 3D Vision 1, which is what I use and it's still great, but if I could, I'd have a 3D Vision 2 model instead.
August 11, 2012 11:23:34 AM

according to this link the 2 acers i linked are better as they have
"3D Vision HDMI Support" which asus you linked does not have. The 3rd feature "NVIDIA 3D LightBoost Technology" is available only in high end lcds that go for 550 euro each.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-system-requireme...

but as people write that 3d makes problems to peoples heads :)  i would probably go and buy this lcds because of 120hz
http://focus.sk/product.asp?ID=27905 241 eur

the other has the glasses of version 1 but the problem is the picture gets too dark and in 3D fps goes to 1/2 or 1/3 of the normal fps
http://focus.sk/product.asp?ID=9911 286 eur
August 11, 2012 12:41:54 PM

on other thought if i use gtx 690 in 3d surround at 5760x1080 resolution i get 70-90 fps based on settings so question is whether to buy 2 60hz additional lcds or go into 3 120hz lcds, price difference would be 311euro in this case
August 11, 2012 2:14:19 PM

revro said:
on other thought if i use gtx 690 in 3d surround at 5760x1080 resolution i get 70-90 fps based on settings so question is whether to buy 2 60hz additional lcds or go into 3 120hz lcds, price difference would be 311euro in this case


I am certainly not going to get 3 monitors, 1 monitor is good enough and at least from what I heard ASUS is one of the best at 120Hz.

plus under the newegg listing of that Acer(NVIDIA 3D Vision sold separately )I live in America so those euro sites are useless to me, could careless whether they listed something my Asus link doesn't have.
August 18, 2012 12:05:19 AM

Best answer selected by sherlockwing.
!