Returning to self built? Media/gaming rig help!.

colonelh

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
Hey there,

What to do? Help!

I have not built myself since 486i was brnd new. Got alot of catching up to do and I'm a little lost.
Really do not want big box retail system.

I was looking to be at around $1000.00 for the system. Wanting to get some life out of it without going crazy. Mostly for media (photo editing, video etc.), gaming (WOW, Diablo III and more) and general PCing.

I have been looking at many options, having it built with available components list (Mwave) being one. Wanted to get it done sooner than later and my time is limited. I really want to do the build myself.

Here are the things that I have tentatively chosen for my rig.

Case: Antec Nine Hundred Mid Tower Gamer Case 900 ATX 9 Drive Bay No PS TOP USB2.0 1394 Audio

HDD
SEAGATE ST1000DM003 Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" internal hard drive (Bare Drive)

PSU
Antec HCG-620M 620W High Current Gamer M ATX 12V EPS12V Active PFC PCI Express 80PLUS BRONZE Power Supply

RAM
Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB ( 4GB x 2 ) 240-pin DDR3 1600mhz non-ECC desktop memory module

Optical:
Lite On IHAS424-98 Black SATA 24X LightScribe Double-layer DVDRW Drive

CPU:
Intel BX80637I53570K Core i5 3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4 GHz Socket 1155 77W Quad-core Desktop Processor

SSD:
OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-128G 128GB 2.5" SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

MOBO:
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB - LGA1155 Intel Z77 Chipset ATX Motherboard, DDR3, USB3.0, SATA 6Gb/s, D-SUB/DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort, 7.1CH HD Audio, Gigabit LAN, CrossFireX/SLI

GPU:
MSI R7850 PE 2GD5/OC Radeon HD7850 2GB DDR5 256bit PCIE3.0 Video Card, DVI/DisplayPort/HDMI

CPU cooler
Cooler Master RR-212E-20PK-R2 Aluminum HYPER 212 EVO CPU Cooler for Intel AMD Heatpipe

I would appriciate you having a look and if there are any tips or recommendations, they are more than welcome.

I wouldn,t hurt to save some cash but I don't want to sacrifice quality or dependability.

Also GPU's just have gotten crazy! Extral help in this area would be a great plus. I'm just not sure at all.

I thank you for your time and assistance,

COL H

P.S> Needed to mention will need to get Windows 7 64 Bit. Also my $1,400 list is from Mwave. The pricing and choices seemed limited. I looked at PCpart picker too.

Solution
One thing that does want looking at, is RAM. The high heatsinks on the Corsair CMZ are likely to clash with CPU cooler. Would suggest GSKill Ares, or Crucial Ballistic Sport, or Corsair do low profile.
For the price I presume you are paying for HD7850, you could virtually get GTX660. It is slightly better, across the board, but significantly better, in some specific games, like BF3, Borderlands, Portal, Shogun, by 40% or more.

chulex67

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
well you choosed the best price/performance card at the momment, good job.

Case+psu = great, its enough for your Pc.

check neweeg, they have "combos" were you can get Psu+ gpu for 30 usd less and stuff like that.

malbluff

Honorable
One thing that does want looking at, is RAM. The high heatsinks on the Corsair CMZ are likely to clash with CPU cooler. Would suggest GSKill Ares, or Crucial Ballistic Sport, or Corsair do low profile.
For the price I presume you are paying for HD7850, you could virtually get GTX660. It is slightly better, across the board, but significantly better, in some specific games, like BF3, Borderlands, Portal, Shogun, by 40% or more.

Solution

colonelh

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012

chulex67,

Thanks, spending a fair amount of time on it. Yeah, I will check into those package deals!

Thanks again, Colh.

colonelh

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
Hey malbluff,

I deffinately would have overlooked the RAM height. I'll check into what you suggested.
I certainly need the GPU advice. I will also do some more "shopping" and see what we come up with.

Ahh.. and the AMD vs. Nvidia once again rears its ugly head! However I have done some, not a boatload, of performance comparison, I think that made it harder on me.
This is another reason to get some experienced and in the now advice.

I will update with changes as soon as I possibly can,
Thanks a ton,
Colh.