Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help - No display after Windows logo

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 10, 2012 6:43:15 AM

Hi guys, I'd really appreciate any help here.

I just built my first computer yesterday, and everything went smoothly and is running fine...however there is a tiny issue.

When I updated the video card drivers, after booting and the windows 7 logo appearing, the monitor turns off for a brief moment (1-2 seconds) and then reappears at the desktop. It is as if it almost skips the welcome screen! How rude :p . It always happens at the exact same place.

I have played the Shogun 2 demo on ultra settings and is very smooth so I believe the GPU is functioning correctly. I also did not have this problem before I had installed any drivers.

I have tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them but this did not solve the issue.

The screen is connected with a hdmi cable from the GPU to the Samsung monitor. The graphics card is R7770 XFX black edition.

I would really appreciate any help!

Thanks in advance!

More about : display windows logo

a b $ Windows 7
a c 187 U Graphics card
August 10, 2012 6:50:02 AM

if you have a mb or system that has built in video or and ipgpu. what happening is windows is setting monitor one up and monitor two up if both the onboard and gpu are installed. when the mb boots it using vga out of both ports at the same time. then it hands off to windows...that where the screen blanks for a sec or two. if you dont want the blanking try setting the gpu as the first video device and see if it changes anything (in the bios).
August 10, 2012 7:13:09 AM

Thanks for the advice, I changed it to use the PEG first and disabled the onboard graphics however I still get a blank screen for probably less than a second.

Any other settings that I have missed?

Thanks
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 10, 2012 7:17:07 AM

Hmm that seems like a driver issue.....wait for a new driver (12.7) to release and try it...otherwise it might be on the GPU itself...but nevermind because if it is good with games it is not faulty...just ignore it
a b $ Windows 7
a c 187 U Graphics card
August 14, 2012 1:08:14 AM

it could be if your running the system with an ssd it could be the ssd outrunning the os. or the os is waiting for hte anti virus and video drivers to load. I would try using msconfig and under the startup tab turn everyting off and see if there error still there. if it stops turn things on one at a time till the error comes back.
August 14, 2012 1:29:59 AM

Does event viewer report anything at startup ?

Is the mobo's bios up to date ?

Is the monitor running at its native resolution ?
August 15, 2012 6:08:28 PM

magikherbs said:
Does event viewer report anything at startup ?

Is the mobo's bios up to date ?

Is the monitor running at its native resolution ?


Thanks for the suggestions. Yes the monitor is running at it's native resolution (1920x1080). I am unsure whether the motherboards bios is up to date, but I assume it is as I only recently bought it. ALso I have heard flashing the bios can be dangerous.

How do I find error reports in the event viewer related to start up issues?

Thanks
August 16, 2012 3:17:40 AM

jamesalex said:
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes the monitor is running at it's native resolution (1920x1080). I am unsure whether the motherboards bios is up to date, but I assume it is as I only recently bought it. ALso I have heard flashing the bios can be dangerous.

How do I find error reports in the event viewer related to start up issues?

Thanks


Flashing the bios is not as risky as it used to be. If the mobo has a dual bios, there is no risk.

Check the time stamp on any errors/warnings to see if they are somehow related.

Have you tried re-installing the drivers and did you run the setup 'as admin' ?
August 16, 2012 7:26:29 AM

I have checked and I have the latest version of the BIOS.

There are no errors on start up in the event viewer.

I have tried reinstalling the drivers but fear I may have not done it correctly. I have heard of people booting into safe mode and using software like driver sweeper to completely remove any traces of the previous install. How would you suggest I reinstall the driver?

Thanks
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 9:49:29 AM

Use the official site or 3DPchip...it will show you the latest and most reliable driver available
August 16, 2012 10:25:44 AM

jamesalex said:
Hi guys, I'd really appreciate any help here.

I just built my first computer yesterday, and everything went smoothly and is running fine...however there is a tiny issue.

When I updated the video card drivers, after booting and the windows 7 logo appearing, the monitor turns off for a brief moment (1-2 seconds) and then reappears at the desktop. It is as if it almost skips the welcome screen! How rude :p . It always happens at the exact same place.

I have played the Shogun 2 demo on ultra settings and is very smooth so I believe the GPU is functioning correctly. I also did not have this problem before I had installed any drivers.

I have tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them but this did not solve the issue.

The screen is connected with a hdmi cable from the GPU to the Samsung monitor. The graphics card is R7770 XFX black edition.

I would really appreciate any help!

Thanks in advance!

I think your window has been corrupted, so install new window.
August 16, 2012 1:12:07 PM

jamesalex said:
I have checked and I have the latest version of the BIOS.

There are no errors on start up in the event viewer.

I have tried reinstalling the drivers but fear I may have not done it correctly. I have heard of people booting into safe mode and using software like driver sweeper to completely remove any traces of the previous install. How would you suggest I reinstall the driver?

Thanks


I always use Programs and Features to uninstall drivers and do not recommend any of the third party driver update/ sweeper apps and sites that are around. AMD's drivers do a much better job cleaning up after themselves than they used to. I'm sure the same could be said for Nvidia aswell.

Click on the Catalyst install manager and choose the express uninstall option, after you have downloaded the latest from AMD.

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/downloads....

edit..

Do you have another video card to try out ?
April 14, 2013 6:19:40 PM

did you solve this problem? I am running into the exact same issue with my r7770.
April 15, 2013 12:53:47 AM

cabrego said:
did you solve this problem? I am running into the exact same issue with my r7770.


No i didn't in the end - still does it on start up but only for a second so i guess it's just how the monitor is and how it deals with the signal/readjusting resolution or something.

What monitor do you have? - mine is the samsung syncmaster p2270HD
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2013 2:00:22 AM

i believe that is due to the monitor auto detecting feature when using a VGA (D-Sub) Cable, if you use HDMI/DVI cable, the problem might be fixed - provided your monitor supports it
!