Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Newly Built HTPC Pricing Suggestions

Last response: in Systems
September 30, 2012 4:37:50 PM

Hello,
I am looking for input on what to price a new HTPC build. Here is some of the pertinent information:

My background: I am an amateur builder that ran into a problem. My son wanted a bad-a$$ gaming computer but Mom and Dad don't have the $$ to fulfill that wish. We have a graveyard of parts everywhere so I decided to teach him how to build PCs so that we could sell them and save up for his rig. We have built smaller, older systems but just built a higher end unit. We don't want to over-price it but also don't want to give it away either.

The Specs:
Case: Rosewill - R379-M
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-H55N-USB3
CPU: Intel i5 650
HDD: Seagate HDD 1TB
Optical Drive: LG Blu-ray/HD DVD (GGC-H20L)reader & writer
RAM: Kingston 4GB 1333 MHz
Extras: AVerMedia AVerTV HD Duet Tuner Card
Internal card reader
GMYLE Media center remote with infrared receiver

So, Old Wise Ones...what would you suggest for the asking price? We were thinking in the range of $525 and will probably sell it on Craigslist or by word of mouth. Thanks so much for your help!

Best solution

September 30, 2012 5:12:12 PM

Your probably not going to get 500+ for it just because of that fact that there used parts, your not a brick and mortar store with a warranty, and did i mention there used parts. People, especially non-tech people, would rather spend 700 and get a warranty than 500 and cross their fingers. I would say the max you could get for that would be 300-350, but that shouldn't keep you from asking 500 off the bat, just be prepared to take lower.
September 30, 2012 6:58:51 PM

MotherFerJones said:
Your probably not going to get 500+ for it just because of that fact that there used parts, your not a brick and mortar store with a warranty, and did i mention there used parts. People, especially non-tech people, would rather spend 700 and get a warranty than 500 and cross their fingers. I would say the max you could get for that would be 300-350, but that shouldn't keep you from asking 500 off the bat, just be prepared to take lower.

Thanks so much for your input. That is very helpful. I don't know if it makes a difference but all the parts are new and never been used. I actually still have the boxes for the HDD, case, blu-ray drive, card reader, and the remote. The other parts were bought as "used" but never installed. I was also thinking of offering a 30 day warranty. Does that change anything?
m
l
Related resources
September 30, 2012 7:39:26 PM

Well if your a+ certified and have kept it up to date, then you could probably squeeze 500 out of someone (someone that knows you most likely, whose gonna trust a strangers warranty?) with a 1-2 year service warranty, and maybe a 30 day parts warranty. Even if someone saw you put the entire build together with the new parts, once you take them out of the package, install them and power the PC on, they will have become used to whoever is going to buy it. Yeah, its retarded, considering that even corporations test their PC's making every store bought PC "used", theoretically. It really all boils down to who your planning on selling the comp to, as to what kind of price you'd get for it.
m
l
December 20, 2012 3:42:06 PM

Best answer selected by Unlimabun.
m
l
!