Sign in with
Your question

Just bought a new rig, accadently bought 2 non-SLI cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 10, 2012 7:19:33 AM

Ok, so here's what happened. I just built and purchased a new PC through Cyber Power using their custom configurator. I put together the rig I wanted, but then had to cut some corners to trim the price tag a bit....you know how it goes :p  Well, one of the changes I decided on was going for two less expensive cards planning to SLI them to recoup some power. In the configurator they had a list of cards, a list of second cards(pretty much the same list) and a list of third cards(much smaller list). On the second list there was a line which segregated the crossfire capable AMD cards, but not one for the NVIDIA. Which to me seemed to say, they were all SLI capable. The third list being much shorter seemed to confirm my assumption, thinking that these were the only cards capable of 3x SLI....much shorter list...makes sense. Sadly this was not the case.

Ok, to my question. I now have two ZOTAC ZT-60201-10L GeForce GT 640 2GB cards. They are the highest of the low end cards that I saw and the only cards under $400 that supported PCIe 3.0 . I am hooking this up to my 52" LCD TV, I have no plans to hook up any more monitors. Does keeping the second card serve any significant purpose at all? Or should I just try and return it? I'm sure I'm going to be disappointed in the single GT 640 too. It's currently my new PC's weakest component. The single card I'd origionally picked was the EVGA FTW Edition NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB 16X, which would have been an additional $270 over the two GT 640s. What should I do?
August 10, 2012 7:30:56 AM

The GT 640 won't get you far on ultra or high settings, maybe in SLI it will do good on medium-high, but that's only if the games you play take advantage of SLI.

My bet would be to opt for the 670, sometimes dual gpu's can be a hassle to get working.

m
l
August 10, 2012 7:46:23 AM

I have no experience with it but reviews have shown the 640 to be a much worse card than cards much cheaper than it. Based on what I've read, I would never even consider a 640 for any reason. And you do not need a PCIe 3.0 card to work in a PCIe 3.0 slot.

Take a look at this...
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GT_640...

You don't need to spend $400 dollars to surpass sli 640s, you would probably only need something like a 7770, which costs about $125
m
l
Related resources
a c 175 U Graphics card
August 10, 2012 8:21:23 AM

Personally, I wouldn't recommend 640 SLI, If you want better results, you can go with something like 7850 or a 480 (I know it consumes a lot of power and it is an old card, but the price is unbelievable).

How can a 670 cost $270 more than 640-SLI by the way? A 640 cost about $110. So two would cost $220. That means you only have to pay extra $180 to get the 670? Good deal isn't it? Maybe you should think about the 670 again (buy it separately! If you buy from cyberpower, they might charge you an extra of $100!). If you think the 670 is too expensive, as I told you before, don't get the 640 SLI.
m
l
August 10, 2012 7:38:23 PM

The $270 was supposed to be $207. The two 640 cards were a bit over $100 each and the 670 is $440. I've been looking around and found a better 670 then the one CP is offering for $409 on newegg.com with free shipping. I'm thinking I'm going to go with that.....now all I need to do is get CP to take back the two 640s......
m
l
August 13, 2012 2:49:15 AM

Hmmmm.....so, I guess no answer to my origional question.

Will the second card without SLI serve any purpose in a one monitor setup, or will it just sit there running idle?
m
l
!