Mcawesome

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Hello,
I just got an ati radeon hd 4850 and a new 500 watt power supply to run it. I installed both of them and turned on my computer everything ran but the screen stayed black and the computer didnt boot up. i meet al the requirements to run the thing, ive googed everything i can think of, asked everyone i know, and now im asking the internet. help me out please if this doesnt work im gonna have to take my computer to someone who knows what there doing.

What power supply did you get? Did you plug everything in correctly? Make sure you plugged in the power cable to the graphics card like so:
sapphire_radeon4850_power.jpg

pcie6.jpeg

You need to plug the thing in the bottom picture into the card.

If you did that and it still doesnt work, I'd like to know the model of the power supply.

This is why we dont buy power supplies from BestBuy. Rocketfish makes some of the worst power supplies on the market. I tried to look up how much power it puts out in terms of amps, but under specifications for the power supply, all I could find is the dimensions, which is flat out embarrassing.

Its made by Huntkey. I wouldnt trust it to run anything in my computer.

But seeing as you probably already have it, you are kinda stuck with it for now. I can't find any specifications on it, would you be willing to tell me what the side label says under 12V rail? It might not be enough to run the card.

If that Rocketfish is 80+ certified, it is a newer one and may be okay. If not, be advised that HardwareSecrets tested a number of Rocketfish PSUs, and most if not all of them died violently under load. A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and some level of 80+ certification; it isn't the efficiency so much as that it was tested at 100% of its label and didn't die. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, Enermax/LEPA, and FSP are among the better brands.

Edit: Also, make sure you plugged in the CPU power cable.

Mcawesome

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
computer turns on all the fans start running and when i hit control alt delete you can hear it start doing stuff. just the monitor stays black non of the usb ports get power and theres no beep that you normaly hear when you boot it up

bignastyid

Titan
Turn the system off and plug the monitor back into the onboard video, tun it on and enter the bios look for an option for primary video adapter and change it to pci express graphics(peg), save changes and exit. Now plug the monitor into the new card.

Mcawesome

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
I got all the stuff plugged into my motherboard I'm supposed to one going to my disc drive another going to my HDD and one cable plugged into the pci-e slot on the power supply but it's not currently connected anything