Sign in with
Your question

Cheap sli or single higher end gpu

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 10, 2012 8:59:04 AM

hi all! so i'm about to embark on my first ever build and i've come to a fork in the road. i'm debating between two xfx ati radeon 7770 double d black edition cards or a single HIS iceq 7870, i've spec'd my system with a mobo with two pcie 3.0 slots and a sli/crossfirex compatible psu and the price is almost the same (roughly $280) so with higher end gaming in mind what is the best solution? i am planning on overclocking in the future but in the beginning i just want the best solution. thanks for all the input!
August 10, 2012 9:09:00 AM

It's generally always better to go with single card. Single card also gives you the better upgrade option for the future by just buying one more(which will be cheaper down the road) instead of replacing both weaker cards.
m
l
August 10, 2012 9:16:32 AM

With 2-way SLI you might experience micro stuttering, which can be quite annoying, however it disappears, one you go 3-Way or 4-Way, the same goes for crossfire. This is the reason I would not prefer SLI, just buy a single, more powerful GPU. Another thing is chipset limitations. See, if you set up 2 way or 3 way crossfire, most likely only one will work at x16, while the others work at x8, or two at x8 and the third only x4, this means that your GPUs won't be stressed fully, thus you'll lose performance. From what I've seen. One card will also use less power. The last thing why I would encourage buying a single card is because driver issues and games in games generally, I don't know how it is with AMD, but for nvidia, if games aren't designed for SLI, it's just using a single card.

If you're interested, read through this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...
m
l
Related resources
August 10, 2012 9:17:34 AM

As strandiam said, a single card will give you more room to upgrade in the future. If you go with 2 card when you will want to upgrade, you will have to "throw them away", while with a single card all you would have to do would be to add another one.
m
l
August 10, 2012 9:28:04 AM

ok, i guess that makes sense that i buy the better card now with the intention of upgrading someday. with that said, is the his iceq a good card? or is there a better card out there that's similar in price? i'm i'm open to nvidia but price is an issue, i'd like to stay well below $300 but i want to play max settings with as much AA as possible, i'm also playing on a 40" tv that's 1920x1080. if i have to give up some AA i will, but i'd like to enter this with power! should i just push this to a 7950? or should i get a different brand of the 7870?
m
l
August 10, 2012 9:42:57 AM

strandiam said:
I have no opinion on XFX but this is a great deal and I am considering buying it myself.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

$270. $20 rebate. 2 free games.

And I also haven't owned a HIS, but the reviews I've read make them look good and I've heard they are a good brand.

This looks good, I'd go for it ;) 
m
l
August 10, 2012 9:56:22 AM

i had a HIS 6790 on this pc. it got really hot , 90c - 100c under load (playing WoW) and the fan went out within 2 weeks. added a gelid vga cooler but it still stayed hot and vioded the warranty, it runs at almost constant 90c on my son's pc now but i think 90c is within spec,barely ... i have a powercolor 6850 and it doesn't get above 62c ... XFX is a good and respected brand. HIS is hit and miss, though i hear the IceQ stuff is good, but a bit priceir
m
l
August 10, 2012 5:13:02 PM

strandiam said:
I have no opinion on XFX but this is a great deal and I am considering buying it myself.

$270. $20 rebate. 2 free games.

And I also haven't owned a HIS, but the reviews I've read make them look good and I've heard they are a good brand.

that looks like a nice card, the oc'd black edition card is $280 after rebate so that may be a serious contender! is there any reason the core edition is a better choice besides price?
m
l
August 10, 2012 10:33:23 PM

Unless you are finding a better deal on another site, I see this as the only Black Edition.

$300 after rebate, 2 fans, 50mhz overclock, $7.56 shipping vs. $250 after rebate, 1 fan, stock speed, 2 free games, free shipping.
$57.56 and 2 free games is a lot to give up for 50mhz and an extra fan.
m
l
August 11, 2012 6:20:59 AM

strandiam said:
Unless you are finding a better deal on another site, I see this as the only Black Edition.

$300 after rebate, 2 fans, 50mhz overclock, $7.56 shipping vs. $250 after rebate, 1 fan, stock speed, 2 free games, free shipping.
$57.56 and 2 free games is a lot to give up for 50mhz and an extra fan.

hmm guess your right about the price, maybe i was looking at something different........ do you think losing a fan on the gpu is a big deal? it's not a blower style so i wonder if i should invest in a case fan to point at it. i'd rather not have to deal with overheating, although a little less noise is always nice.
m
l
!