September 30, 2012 9:10:04 PM

Is there a bottleneck in my system?

Motherboard: M4A88T-M
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 4.0ghz
GPU: Powercolor HD Radeon 6850
Hard Drive: Seagate 500GB
PSU: Coolermaster eXtreme Power 500W
Ram: 4GB

Just wondering if there is a bottleneck and if there are any parts i should upgrade this is a gaming system btw.

More about : bottleneck system

a b B Homebuilt system
September 30, 2012 9:21:05 PM

What's your budget?

It's relatively balanced. You could always add another 4GB of RAM, considering how cheap RAM is. You should also consider upgrading to Windows 7 64-bit, and an SSD to go along with it.
September 30, 2012 9:22:03 PM

Seems like a balanced system like AbdullahG said.
Related resources
September 30, 2012 9:23:43 PM

AbdullahG said:
What's your budget.

It's relatively balanced. You could always add another 4GB of RAM, considering how cheap RAM is. You should also consider upgrading to Windows 7 64-bit, and an SSD to go along with it.

Yeh i was planning on buying 8gb of xjaws ram. Why should i upgrade to win 64 bit?
September 30, 2012 9:32:48 PM

zecele said:
Yeh i was planning on buying 8gb of xjaws ram. Why should i upgrade to win 64 bit?

Because 32 bit only uses ~4GB. So the rest after 4GB is a waste.
September 30, 2012 9:33:55 PM

zecele said:
Is there a bottleneck in my system?

Motherboard: M4A88T-M
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 4.0ghz
GPU: Powercolor HD Radeon 6850
Hard Drive: Seagate 500GB
PSU: Coolermaster eXtreme Power 500W
Ram: 4GB

Just wondering if there is a bottleneck and if there are any parts i should upgrade this is a gaming system btw.

There's always a "slowest" component. If you replace it with something faster then something else will be the slowest. Even my dog knows better than to chase her tail.
September 30, 2012 9:35:00 PM

yarmock said:
Because 32 bit only uses ~4GB. So the rest after 4GB is a waste.

Yeh but my 32 bit is modified to use more than 4gb.
September 30, 2012 10:47:35 PM

zecele said:
Yeh but my 32 bit is modified to use more than 4gb.

I didn't know that was even possible.
Bottlenecks are most often caused by your graphics cards and/or your CPU.
That CPU can be paired with a 6870 and you still won't get a bottleneck.
Plus, you are overclocking your CPU, that contributes to lowering the possibilities of a bottleneck.
If I were you, I'd spend extra cash in a better PSU. Coolermaster is not reliable when it comes to power supplies.
Antec and Corsair are the best.
a c 81 B Homebuilt system
September 30, 2012 11:17:53 PM

^ I agree with Coolermaster power supplies not being the best and the Extreme Power series is among their worst. It is a 350 watt power supply they just happen to slap a 500w label on. AcBel Polytech made junk. The unit fails HardOCP's testing.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/02/16/entry_level_p...

Antec and Corsair are not "the" best but are among the quality brands. Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Silverstone, Enermax, OCZ and Antec are the brands I usually recommend for across the board quality.

October 1, 2012 4:16:41 AM

^Agree.
Never mind about overkill in terms of PSU. It's better than not having enough power anyway.
There are certain parts you should invest more money in:

-Case: If you get a big one or full tower, you'll have way better cable management, more cooling fans, more room, which means less heating.

-RAM: You can get as much as you like, and you won't cause any bottlenecks. All you have to do is make sure your CPU and mobo can handle it.

-PSU: 1200w with 90 percent efficiency will cost you, but in reward you won't have to upgrade in the visible future.

-Mobo: This is less important than the PSU, yet it makes it a difference. For example, PCI-E interface, CPU socket, SATA III support, DIMM slots.

If you spend more in this components, you are free to move around with CPU's and graphics cards. You can try and see which ones you like the most, etc.
a c 81 B Homebuilt system
October 1, 2012 5:56:13 AM

And then there is just straight up idiotic like recommending a 1200 watt power supply for a single HD 6850. And lets be honest, anything more than 8GB for a gaming machine is a waste. You only need a massive amount of RAM if you do photo/video editing or CAD work or run a large amount of VM ware.
October 1, 2012 6:25:14 AM

Why are you still using 32-bit?
The 64-bit instruction set inside your cpu will be wasted since you are running a 32-bit OS.
The rest of your system looks fine in my opinion.
October 1, 2012 10:29:39 AM

anort3 said:
And then there is just straight up idiotic like recommending a 1200 watt power supply for a single HD 6850. And lets be honest, anything more than 8GB for a gaming machine is a waste. You only need a massive amount of RAM if you do photo/video editing or CAD work or run a large amount of VM ware.

You're right lol, Is a bit too much. A PSU like that is only recommended for 4way Crossfire or SLI. And 8GB RAM is enough, at the moment.
I was trying to tell him that he should overkilll with those parts, not to theeee point but...
October 2, 2012 2:46:53 PM

Well Ebuyer has 8GB of corsair ram available for £28 so ill probably be buying that i also was thinking about buying a better mobo or psu. Honestly though so far the psu has handled my systme fine i dont see any point in upgrading the psu if theres not wrong with it in the first place. I was trying to find a good mobo that has 2 pci express x16 slots but couldnt find a suitable one of anyway has any recommendations?

Mayby gonna buy a Corsair 600W CX Series V2 PSU - 6x SATA 2x PCI-E

Also my case is a Coolermaster Elite 330 Mid Tower Case which in my opinion is good enough for anything really.
October 2, 2012 11:33:36 PM

Also btw i just upgraded to Win 8 64bit so full ram usage.
!