Question about Celerons

I am looking at putting together a basic computer in a few months (my first), but my budget will be limited to max 300 euros. My current system is a Pentium E2160 1.8GHz, so I'm thinking a Celeron 1610 would be a sizable upgrade for me. It' cheap enough that when I replace it with an i5 at the end of the year I won't feel I've wasted money. If I go for a Celeron, I can get my new computer sooner and economize only on the processor and spend a little more on the PSU and motherboard.

Can someone confirm that a Celeron would be a big step up on an old pentium, or are the Celerons really crippled like they used to be circa 2000? And if I change the CPU in a few months would that cause a problem with my Windows 7 OEM license?
11 answers Last reply
More about question celerons
  1. Ags1 said:
    I am looking at putting together a basic computer in a few months (my first), but my budget will be limited to max 300 euros. My current system is a Pentium E2160 1.8GHz, so I'm thinking a Celeron 1610 would be a sizable upgrade for me. It' cheap enough that when I replace it with an i5 at the end of the year I won't feel I've wasted money. If I go for a Celeron, I can get my new computer sooner and economize only on the processor and spend a little more on the PSU and motherboard.

Can someone confirm that a Celeron would be a big step up on an old pentium, or are the Celerons really crippled like they used to be circa 2000? And if I change the CPU in a few months would that cause a problem with my Windows 7 OEM license?

Celerons are ok but nothing great. If all you are doing is going on the internet and using office I would go with a Pentium G. If this is for gaming I would go with a Pentium G or I3 at the very least.
  2. I think I would rather save the money - passmark gives the Celeron G1610 a score of 2.600 and the Pentium G860 only manages 2.900 which is a marginal difference.
  3. Thats up to you. I have built many computers for everyday users and I've always ended going with the Pentium. In the end it for just a little more money you get more cache and a slightly faster processor.
  4. For 300 euros an A10-5800K based build is a MUCH MUCH better choice.

You can overclock both the CPU and graphics significantly and some good boards are made for that(A85 Hi-fi comes to mind.)

And you can add a 6670 to hybrid crossfire with the 7660D in the future.
  5. What is the old CPU you are moving on from?

Honestly, it will be a okay processor until you move on to an i5. Long gone are the days of the Celerons being really a horrible line of CPUs. I rebuilt my dad's old P4 work PC with a 1.6 GHz Celeron Dual-core back in 2008. It was snappy and quick enough for every day tasks and some gaming (on a 9600GT). Lasted him 4 years until he upgraded to a quad-core Q9650 (cheap from eBay).
  6. I would say you should go with a pentium G series CPU like the G2020 or the G2120. That extra performance for a slightly higher price tag is worth it.
    Celerons are ok for office PCs but for gaming the least you need is a pentium G.
  7. I suppose that makes sense, a 2.8GHz pentium only costs 15 euros more. And if I spent 35 more euros, I would get a boost of 500MHz over the celeron.
  8. Ags1 said:
    I suppose that makes sense, a 2.8GHz pentium only costs 15 euros more. And if I spent 35 more euros, I would get a boost of 500MHz over the celeron.

Which is exactly what I was saying from the start. The Pentium is not that much more so why not spend the slight extra money and get the better processor.
  9. Haha i'm still using an e2160 too
  10. Runs Linux just fine :-)
  11. I would definitely go with the g1610.

The 1610 will easily handle any task you could throw at the g2020. And, well, what the g1610 cant push, the g2020 cant either. I don't know what the prices are in your area but here a g2020 is 38-40% more expensive. It has about 5-15% more muscle maybe which seems like a bad deal, not even considering the fact that you will be upgrading later.

I would pocket the extra 15 euros and leave the store whistling. (:
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Celeron Computers