Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Seeking advice on my build

Last response: in Systems
September 30, 2012 9:32:21 PM

Hello,

New to the forums here and would like some critique/suggestions on my build.

Approximate Purchase Date: October 5th

Budget Range: $600 to $700

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Photoshop, Illustrator, Watching Movies, Streaming TV/Movies, Gaming, Surfing the internet, playing music

Are you buying a monitor: No - using a Sony Bravia 32" 1080p 120hz TV

Parts to Upgrade: New Build - everything

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg or TigerDirect

Parts Preferences: Intel, Gigabyte, Asus

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Eventually

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080,

Additional Comments: Would rather pay a bit more and get a quality piece than something cheap. Would like to add SLI/Crossfire EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti eventually

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Been using a laptop for awhile now, would like bigger screen and more processing power for photoshop and ability to game

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $215

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $20

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $140

Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $42

OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $100

Thermaltake Commander MS/I Snow Edition (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $45

Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply $50

Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer $16

Thanks

More about : seeking advice build

Best solution

September 30, 2012 9:43:00 PM

Nothing really to say about the build itself. Very good. I am a bit concerned re this idea of ywo GTX 550Ti's. Firstly, the power supply would not be adequate, and secondly WHY? The 550Ti is a particularly useless graphics card, I can't imagine why anyone would want TWO. For one thing SLi won't work with Photoshop, so you'd end up forever disabling it.
What is the purpose of having two cards. If I know what you are looking to do, I might be able to suggest some options. In the meantime, don't order that PSU, as that may need to be changed, if you do need two GPU's.
September 30, 2012 9:49:42 PM

malbluff said:
Nothing really to say about the build itself. Very good. I am a bit concerned re this idea of ywo GTX 550Ti's. Firstly, the power supply would not be adequate, and secondly WHY? The 550Ti is a particularly useless graphics card, I can't imagine why anyone would want TWO. For one thing SLi won't work with Photoshop, so you'd end up forever disabling it.
What is the purpose of having two cards. If I know what you are looking to do, I might be able to suggest some options. In the meantime, don't order that PSU, as that may need to be changed, if you do need two GPU's.

Hello and thanks for your response.

I'm not set on the 550Ti in any sense, and as you probably can tell I did not do much research on the cards since I am not planning on adding the GPU immediately.

I guess what I'm trying accomplish is the ability to have a moderately effective GPU to run games like Skyrim at a decent FPS at 1920x1080p down the road. If this can be accomplished by only one higher end card I would be open to that. I would estimate within 3-5 months I'd like to spend around 250-300 on the card.

I wasn't aware about SLI+Photoshop - so I appreciate the heads up.

Would you recommend a GTX 570 or similar? And would the PSU I have be enough for that down the road?

Thanks

m
l
Related resources
September 30, 2012 10:54:02 PM

The 570 is very good, with CS6, but a bit "old hat", in terms of gaming. The ideal card, for a blend of decent with CS6, and brilliant for gaming is the GTX670. That would be well over your budget, so probably the GTX660Ti would be the best choice. It would be a slight step down from 670, but would still give very good performance, in both directions. A 550w power supply would be fine, for that. You can check the gaming benchmarks, for both cards, in various games, on "anandtech", bench section.
m
l
September 30, 2012 10:55:54 PM

By the way, Antec do a modular version of that power supply, the BP550M.
m
l
October 11, 2012 12:40:34 PM

Best answer selected by quattro.
m
l
!