Sign in with
Your question

Single 7970 for three monitor eyefinity setup? (5140x1050)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 10, 2012 2:08:50 PM

Hi guys, I am soon to purchase a 7970 for a triple monitor setup that consists of three 20' Samsung Syncmaster 2032b's which have a resolution of 1680x1050, the monitors only have DVI-D and VGA. So basically I wondering how I am going to go about setting them up for eyefinity as the 7970 im going to purchase (XFX Double Dissipation Edition) only has one DVI-I and one HDMI and two mini-Display Port and I heard that you need one monitor to be mini-displayport? But then I've also heard that you can use a VGA to mini-DisplayPort but these monitors I have dont seem to like VGA and the resolution goes larger than what it is set at and it still says that they are at 1680x1050 when they are bigger? also I can see the difference between DVI and VGA and frankly the VGA looks crap in comparison, so im just confused really on how I would set it up? Also buying two 7970's is out of the question my budget is stretched far enough. Any help would be awesome,
thanks in advance,
Lewisjay1
August 10, 2012 2:27:58 PM

lewisjay1 said:
Hi guys, I am soon to purchase a 7970 for a triple monitor setup that consists of three 20' Samsung Syncmaster 2032b's which have a resolution of 1680x1050, the monitors only have DVI-D and VGA. So basically I wondering how I am going to go about setting them up for eyefinity as the 7970 im going to purchase (XFX Double Dissipation Edition) only has one DVI-I and one HDMI and two mini-Display Port and I heard that you need one monitor to be mini-displayport? But then I've also heard that you can use a VGA to mini-DisplayPort but these monitors I have dont seem to like VGA and the resolution goes larger than what it is set at and it still says that they are at 1680x1050 when they are bigger? also I can see the difference between DVI and VGA and frankly the VGA looks crap in comparison, so im just confused really on how I would set it up? Also buying two 7970's is out of the question my budget is stretched far enough. Any help would be awesome,
thanks in advance,
Lewisjay1

I'll answer this as best as I can, but I want to tell you I'm not an expert. I have owned 2 AMD Eyefinity cards and am currently running triple screens on a 5870 that has 2 DVI Ports. I have a passive DP -> VGA adapter and it is working fine for me.

I've read extensive reviews and some of the cards come with an HDMI -> DVI adapter in the box. If that card doesn't come with one you can get one from Amazon for $5. The tricky part is finding an adapter that will do mini-DP -> DVI and work for you. I know of mini-DP -> VGA. I'm familiar with that. You need an active adapter (though I believe some passive ones will work if you find the right one.) An active adapter is $25-$30.

My one complaint about the current line of cards is that they do not come with the adapters you would need. I've seen the Diamond 7970 cards include the appropriate content in the box but most don't.

My next question is what CPU will you be pairing this video card with? If you're running a dual core @ 2.8ghz or something like that all the power from the video card will be meaningless. At which point don't spend all the money on a 7970 and get something like a 7770. If you've got a good CPU that isn't going to hold you back then you may consider some of the 7950 cards or the NVidia GTX 670 card. I know absolutely nothing about the NVidia card other than the 670 supports NVidia surround. I don't know what kinds of ports the card has and what kind of adapters it has because NVidia was never an option for me. It may be worth serious consideration and it might even save you $50.
a b C Monitor
August 10, 2012 2:51:35 PM

First, avoid HDMI. I was just in another thread where the problem was the HDMI to DP causing eyefinity to not work. With those port options I'd run DVI to DVI, and 2x DP to DVI. Use the ones your card comes with, or search newegg user reviews for ones that should work.
Related resources
August 10, 2012 2:55:29 PM

The problem is I don't believe that card will come with any adapters. If he needs to purchase 2 active adapters that could be another $50-$60. My thought on the HDMI->DVI is it'll cost you $5 to try it. If it doesn't work you might lose $5, but if it does work you might save $15-25.
August 10, 2012 3:10:11 PM

SinisterSalad said:
I'm running a 7950 using DVI, HDMI and an Active mini Displayport to DVI adapter for the third monitor. No issues with that setup. Just make sure you get an active adapter, not a passive one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
This is the one I have.

This is probably the best advice so far in this thread... which is why I'd recommend considering a GTX 670 video card instead. I'm a huge AMD fan, but for your purposes a GTX 670 might work better.
a b C Monitor
August 10, 2012 3:16:51 PM

I run a 7950 with 4 monitors. 2x Displayport, 1x HDMI, 1x DVI. On the current cards, any of the connections should work fine. It was the older 5xxx and 6xxx series cards where you had to be careful since you could only use 2 out of the 3 HDMI/DVI connections and HAD to use a displayport connection if you wanted EyeFinity. Currently for EyeFinity I use the 2x Displayport and 1x DVI connection. The HDMI is my +1 monitor when running EyeFinity. Previously I had it wired 2x Displayport 1x HDMI for EyeFinity and the DVI the +1. Both ways worked fine with no issues.

For your setup, your best bet is going to be
1x HDMI to DVI cable (no need for a dongle(adapter) just get the correct cable)
1x DVI to DVI
1x Mini-Displayport to DVI apadter.
August 10, 2012 3:39:19 PM

ncasolo said:
This is probably the best advice so far in this thread... which is why I'd recommend considering a GTX 670 video card instead. I'm a huge AMD fan, but for your purposes a GTX 670 might work better.
Thanks for the feedback, I am going to be pairing my 7970 with a i5 3570k and 8gb of corsairs dominator ram rated at 1600mhz with 9-9-9-9-24 cas timings, all of which I believe to sufficient to go along with the 7970 without any bottlenecks. Im going to try and find a unboxing of the double d 7970 and I shall have look and see if it comes with a hdmi to dvi and if not I can buy one along with a active mini display port to dvi and thanks for the links but I live in the UK but I think I can still find one for relatively cheap, sorry I should of posted about my location and what my system specifications are when I first posted, sorry for my noobness ;) 
August 10, 2012 3:55:21 PM

lewisjay1 said:
Thanks for the feedback, I am going to be pairing my 7970 with a i5 3570k and 8gb of corsairs dominator ram rated at 1600mhz with 9-9-9-9-24 cas timings, all of which I believe to sufficient to go along with the 7970 without any bottlenecks. Im going to try and find a unboxing of the double d 7970 and I shall have look and see if it comes with a hdmi to dvi and if not I can buy one along with a active mini display port to dvi and thanks for the links but I live in the UK but I think I can still find one for relatively cheap, sorry I should of posted about my location and what my system specifications are when I first posted, sorry for my noobness ;) 

You've basically posted exactly the specs of what I'm buying except I've gone with the HIS IceQ Turbo 7950 card. I couldn't extend my budget to the 7970. Tom's has a really nice article on 6 different 7970 cards. I'd give serious consideration to the HIS card based on their reviews.
a c 128 C Monitor
August 10, 2012 4:16:42 PM

If you guys aren't aware, you can now consider a 670 or 680 for this. It would take away the need to buy an active displayport to DVI adapter. You'd just need an HDMI to DVI adapter which are a lot cheaper and often come with the card.

I only mention this because this wasn't possible in the past on Nvidia, so you may have not considered it as an option.
August 10, 2012 10:45:58 PM

bystander said:
If you guys aren't aware, you can now consider a 670 or 680 for this. It would take away the need to buy an active displayport to DVI adapter. You'd just need an HDMI to DVI adapter which are a lot cheaper and often come with the card.

I only mention this because this wasn't possible in the past on Nvidia, so you may have not considered it as an option.

But surely Id be wasting money when it comes to buying the 670? Because the 7970 double d comes with a hdmi to dvi and Ive seen active mini-DisplayPort to DVI for £20, also the 670 gets lower FPS than the 7970 and I saw a article were the 7970 with its latest drivers beat the 680 in I think 11 out of 14 benchmarks?
a c 128 C Monitor
August 10, 2012 10:51:52 PM

lewisjay1 said:
But surely Id be wasting money when it comes to buying the 670? Because the 7970 double d comes with a hdmi to dvi and Ive seen active mini-DisplayPort to DVI for £20, also the 670 gets lower FPS than the 7970 and I saw a article were the 7970 with its latest drivers beat the 680 in I think 11 out of 14 benchmarks?

I've love to see the article. Until then it's here say and don't get confused when they compare overclocked 7970's to stock 670's. Both cards can OC.

Anyways, I only bring it up because Eyefinity seems to be trickier to get working by all the help posts, because the active displayport requirement seems to be a bit finicky.
!