GPU has too much memory for Motherboard

Joe_green

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Hi. I have just finished building my PC and it all turns on and works. I am asking this question on the PC now

Anyway, my Problem.
My computer will all turn on and work well when the GPU is not plugged in the motherboard. However, when i place the GPU in the MOBO the whole computer will not turn on.

I think I know what the problem is, the Motherboard i have can take up to 1GB of Graphics shared memory and the GPU has 2GB. Is there anyway in the BIOS that that i can make the MOBO accept more memory from the GPU?

My motherboard is the Asus m5a78l USB3 and my GPU is the Sapphire HD 6570

thanks in advance! :D

cl-scott

Honorable
Your issue has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of RAM on the GPU. If your computer doesn't boot when the video card is connected, then I would start by suspecting that the video card is either defective, or you haven't done something like connect the AUX power feed. It's possible the PCI-E slot on your motherboard is bad, but until you test with a second card I wouldn't be willing to go that far.

And just purely FYI, it wouldn't matter if the video card had 1TB of RAM on it, that's all completely independent of the rest of the system. The video card is almost a computer unto itself. It can have any amount of RAM that a manufacturer can cram onto the board and get the GPU to address, won't make a bit of difference to the rest of the system. Same goes for the type of RAM. If there were such a thing as DDR10 RAM, it would still work fine with your motherboard if the PSU was able to power it and it was on a PCI-E card.

Kari

Splendid

well the OS would still need to be able to address it properly, so a 32 bit os would be pretty useless...

to op: You did connect the monitor to an output on the card and not the mobo, right?

It sounds as if either the card is busted or the PCI-e slot on your motherboard is having a hissyfit with your card. If you have another computer to test it on, like even your friends, then that would be an ideal way to see the problem. You can also do as cl-scott has mentioned and try another card on the same motherboard. Hope this helps.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
From what you say everything is good with on board graphics. You may have to disable the on board in the bios. Have you tried this? Also if that is not it did you try the card in different PCI slots?

cl-scott

Honorable

Not to take this too far off-topic, but as far as the video card RAM is concerned, the 32/64-bit nature of the OS wouldn't matter. The CPU would not be accessing the dedicated memory on the video card PCB, so as long as the GPU can address it, you're good. Video cards are kind of an island unto themselves, and maybe it is important to clarify that I am talking only about discrete cards, not any sort of integrated solution.

Joe_green

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
I've tried the card on two different boards and it still does the same thing however it was the same model board just a different one. So you think I'm going to have to send it back?

Joe_green

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

I'm pretty sure it's not a user error, I wore an anti-static strap at all times. I never touched the gold bits at the bottom and I installed it correctly.

feraldiablo

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

please make sure
1- your monitor's dvi/vga is plugged into the gpu
2 - you have power running into the gpu

before turning on your pc.

funguseater

Distinguished
Um and did you set the pc to use the video card in BIOS, I did not see a response above. You may need to change your video card setting to PEG (may be listed different in your BIOS) this will tell the motherboard to use the GPU and not the built in graphics.

See you later and good luck!
Fungi

Kari

Splendid

32bit os's have 4G of memory address space available and that is used for all memory in the system, ie main system ram, vram, caches on various devices etc... So massive amount of vram would eat that up on its own.
PAE and AWE can be used to alleviate this but often isn't used effectively on consumer os's...