Sign in with
Your question

Heat question

Last response: in Systems
September 30, 2012 11:34:06 PM

I would love if someone on here had the knowledge to answer my question in true technical terms (i'm half way through my electronics engineering degree but i do not have enough information yet to figure this out for myself) i will though in time, for now i ask.

question: i built two systems a while ago. one is the type that toms would greatly approve of, the other isn't. the one that toms would approve of is a 2500k oc'ed @4.2 (it can go much higher) on an asus p67 rev 3.1, 8gb low voltage gskill ram, 6950 powercolor 2gb etc.

other system: 960t unlocked to 6 cores on a asrock 890fx deluxe 4 (was fairly cheap but i expected a lot more after hearing people say such good things about asrock) same PSU on both

here is the question now: on the intel system that is also overclocked, if i put my hand against the PSU it is literally cool, all you feel is cool air from the fans, not one iota of heat, beautiful.

amd system, put hand on psu and its like a heat wave, and my cpu idles way too high....idles at 45C ....i would love to have a technical answer on this, ie. specific component on the motherboard is cheap and is drawing too much power, that kind of thing.

on another note, when i received the asrock board, i removed all heatsinks....i was amazed to see that the heatsink over the mosfet/voltage regulators, that the heatsink underneath is actually a type of padding? it's not metal, it's a padding....is this ***? or good? i wish i had a way to directly test temps here....speedfan doesnt give a temp for this does it?

im going to try and put a high end heatsink on the cpu, but just seems to me something is #$%%$ed up, some part of this system specifically was used with cheap parts and that is why so much heat is being drawn, either that or the cpu itself is somewhat faulty.....

any answer here or any comments on the padding used as a heatsink contact?

More about : heat question

September 30, 2012 11:53:12 PM

The Phenom II 960T with both locked cores enabled sucks a lot of power. More power generally means more heat.

EDIT: The CPU's two locked cores were locked because of faults, so of course it is faulty. This CPU did not pass binning as a six-core CPU, but you're using it as one, so it is bound to use more power than a CPU that passed binning as a six-core CPU when you use it as a six-core CPU. It's TDP would probably be 140W at stock and it might suck 50-70% more power than your i5 even though the i5 is overclocked.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 1, 2012 12:03:55 AM

Thermal pads are common, and they're somewhat inferior to thermal paste. You can do the research for benchmarks.
m
l
!