Neoendedsmith

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Hello,

Does anyone see any issues or compatibility problems with the following system I'm attempting to build?

Asus Maximus III GENE LGA-1156 w/ Intel PM55 Chipset mATX Motherboard
Intel i5 680@3.6GHz (Socket LGA-1156) CPU
NVIDIA Brand GeForce GTX 660Ti GPU
Corsiar Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz @9-9-9-24 1.50v RAM
CoolerMaster Elite 343 mATX Tower Case
ThermalTake SMART M850W Power Suppy

Solution
Huh? A 550-600w PSU will have more than enough voltage on a +12v rail to support the 660 Ti. I'm guessing you were probably looking at those multiple rail PSUs which I find really annoying.

And no, that's not true. Old games run perfectly fine no matter how much cores your CPU has. The only issue there is that if you're on a 6+ core CPU, and your only usage is gaming, then you're overpaying for it while under-utilizing the cores at the same time.

I would also like to point out that I didn't receive any notification at all that you've replied, dunno why. So you might have to pm me again to say you've posted.

Neoendedsmith

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Hey guys, sorry I never got an email saying there were new messages to my thread...my apologies.

Anyways, yes you're right deemo13, I did instead get the Corsair 850w Gaming Series PSU...

And yes, excella1221, I know it's overkill, I the PSUs with less wattage didn't meet the voltage required on the 12v rails necessary for the NVIDIA 660 Ti...and it's always nice to have the "80-Plus Bronze" certification...which means cleaner and more consistent power if I'm not mistaken.

Also, deemo13, yes I decided to hold onto this particular platform because it's mature (by now Intel and Asus have found all the bugs in their chipset and motherboard and released better drivers), and I play a LOT of legacy games like:

System Shock 2
Anachronox
Mafia: City of Lost Heaven
Deus Ex

So, I've read many times that with these older games that aren't programmed for more than 2 cores, there are many issues, so I've read that it's better to have less cores and more speed per core, versus more cores (with usually less speed per core).

Do you guys agree with that concerning these older games? I need a good answer cuz if that isn't the case, I'll go for a quad core cuz I do play quite a few of the latest game (Crysis, Crysis 2, Max Payne 3, GTA IV) which really beat the heck outta my outdated i5 680...particularly GTA IV with "Very High" settings for Resolution and Shadows...

What you guys think?

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Huh? A 550-600w PSU will have more than enough voltage on a +12v rail to support the 660 Ti. I'm guessing you were probably looking at those multiple rail PSUs which I find really annoying.

And no, that's not true. Old games run perfectly fine no matter how much cores your CPU has. The only issue there is that if you're on a 6+ core CPU, and your only usage is gaming, then you're overpaying for it while under-utilizing the cores at the same time.

I would also like to point out that I didn't receive any notification at all that you've replied, dunno why. So you might have to pm me again to say you've posted.

Solution

Neoendedsmith

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Hi excella1221,

Thank you for getting back to me. Yeah still learning what all the numbers of these newer PSUs really mean (been outta the PC building game a while, 10 years now due to buying laptops for being mobile).

Thanks for clarifying that info I read on older games handling more than 2 cores. I'll be eye balling up some i7s sometime in my near future.

And yes once again, no notification...oh well.

Thanks again.

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Have fun. :)

I would suggest you just go pick the PSUs that feature only a single rail.
When diagnosing multiple rails anyway, they look at the total wattage of the combined +12v rails and compute it to get the number of amps as if it were a single rail.

TRENDING THREADS