Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Opteron 180 overheating

Last response: in CPUs
February 13, 2013 8:50:48 PM

Installed an opteron 180 into a hp5150mt motherboard, used the stock cpu, applied artic silver 5 thermal grease and seated the 939 heatsink on. Booted Boot screen tells me that processor fan fails. I replace it brand new fan. Boot again it tells me same thing. So I replace power supply and try both new and original cpu fan. I get the cpu fan failure again. Put old power supply back in and get another 3 pin fan from another 754 socket. Tried the first two fans same error. Then try the 3 pin 754 socket cpu fan computer boots. Go to check temperatures in bios. I let the cpu heat up until it got to 65 C turned it off. Took off the heatsink cleaned all the thermal grease off. Reapplied thermal grease sat the heatsink on again. Fired it up Cpu still wanting to overheat. I remove heatsink clean all areas about 5 times still same result. Tried applying a new heatsink matching socket of course and reapply thermal grease once with a bb size dot on the processor spread out with a card to create thin layer across whole cpu. Cpu still overheat so I tried again with spreading both on processor and heatsink with the same result. I don't know what to do.

Best solution

a c 151 à CPUs
February 13, 2013 9:10:02 PM

considering the dx5150 only supports athlons up to the x2 4400+ I'm not surprised you're having problems.
!