Sign in with
Your question

Why doesn't my graphics card work!?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 10, 2012 5:25:39 PM

Hello, I recently built a rig and downloaded all of the updates and what not but when I plug my screens into my Radeon HD 6950 graphics card, it doesn't show up on the screen. I think my computer just doesn't recognize the card but I don't know what to do. Help!

More about : graphics card work

a c 144 U Graphics card
August 10, 2012 5:29:19 PM

whole system spec?
m
l
August 10, 2012 5:34:17 PM

Intel Core I7 2700k
Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo
Radeon HD 6950 2gb
16GB Corsair Vengance lp DDR 3
Samsung 830 SSD
Corsair HX850 psu
m
l
Related resources
August 10, 2012 5:34:29 PM

Also I'm a mega noob and may need to be asked for more than I give -_-
m
l
August 10, 2012 5:57:50 PM

renz496 said:
whole system spec?

Intel Core I7 2700k
Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo
Radeon HD 6950 2gb
16GB Corsair Vengance lp DDR 3
Samsung 830 SSD
Corsair HX850 psu
m
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
August 10, 2012 6:04:27 PM

Does it work when you plug the monitor into the graphics port on the motherboard? You might have to go in and disable the onboard graphics for the card to work.
m
l
August 10, 2012 6:05:27 PM

Deemo13 said:
Does it work when you plug the monitor into the graphics port on the motherboard? You might have to go in and disable the onboard graphics for the card to work.

It does work when I plug straight into the Mobo but I have NO idea how to disable the onboard card.
m
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
August 10, 2012 6:11:46 PM

Plug the monitor into the motherboard and boot your computer. Then when something comes up, like the ASUS logo, hit "delete" or whatever it says to hit when it comes up. This should take you into the BIOS.

Now in the BIOS, you can do alot of things, like overclock your 2700K (which I hope you did not just buy for gaming) and you can also do some other stuff you will probably learn later.

Also in the BIOS, you can set the onboad graphics to be disabled. Now I don't know how to do it off the top of my head, but I'm sure if you navigate through enough windows you can figure out how. There's also videos on Youtube, and you can always refer to the motherboard manual.

Once you have figured out how to disable it, then you can press F10 to save and restart the computer.
m
l
August 10, 2012 6:12:20 PM

Deemo13 said:
Plug the monitor into the motherboard and boot your computer. Then when something comes up, like the ASUS logo, hit "delete" or whatever it says to hit when it comes up. This should take you into the BIOS.

Now in the BIOS, you can do alot of things, like overclock your 2700K (which I hope you did not just buy for gaming) and you can also do some other stuff you will probably learn later.

Also in the BIOS, you can set the onboad graphics to be disabled. Now I don't know how to do it off the top of my head, but I'm sure if you navigate through enough windows you can figure out how. There's also videos on Youtube, and you can always refer to the motherboard manual.

Once you have figured out how to disable it, then you can press F10 to save and restart the computer.

I'll be using it for more than gaming but its just all so puzzling to me. I'll give it a shot and go into the bios to see if I can figure it out
m
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
August 10, 2012 6:27:21 PM

Hope it works! Look up some videos on Youtube, they might help you.

m
l
August 10, 2012 7:06:39 PM

So I can't for the life of me turn off the onboard graphics card at all.... I change the options to my pci port on my mobo and when I save and reset it just starts back up and puts it back onto my onboard gbu.

Also I neglected to mention that when I try to install drivers for the graphics card it comes up with a screen that says my device was not located. So I'm seriously lost here.
m
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
August 10, 2012 8:11:06 PM

Well it seems like its not picking up the card. Try re-seating it. Does it come up in device manager. (Computer>right click computer>click manage)
m
l
August 10, 2012 8:16:19 PM

Deemo13 said:
Well it seems like its not picking up the card. Try re-seating it. Does it come up in device manager. (Computer>right click computer>click manage)

It does not :/ 
m
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
August 10, 2012 8:47:49 PM

Then take it out and put it back in and see what happens.
m
l
August 10, 2012 8:51:55 PM

Deemo13 said:
Then take it out and put it back in and see what happens.

I did that already, and switched it to the other slot I have too just to see if if itd work but nothing happened. The fan on the card work when I turn on the computer so its getting power, it just doesnt show up on my computer at all.
m
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
August 10, 2012 9:20:47 PM

You did plug in the power connectors on the card correct?
m
l
August 10, 2012 9:22:49 PM

Deemo13 said:
You did plug in the power connectors on the card correct?

yes.
m
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
August 10, 2012 9:27:23 PM

Just making sure we covered all the bases.
m
l
August 10, 2012 9:27:31 PM

Deemo13 said:
Just making sure we covered all the bases.

I know you are and thank you for trying to help me, its just frustrating because I can't seem to find the issue
m
l
August 10, 2012 9:54:57 PM

cmfcj said:
I know you are and thank you for trying to help me, its just frustrating because I can't seem to find the issue

You wouldn't happen to have another PC lying around you could put the 6950 into temporarily, and see if it works there?

Then I'd try booting with your monitor plugged into the Mobo. When up and running download the latest video drivers for that card and try adding it manually, i.e. under "add device" in Devices and Printers.

By the way, can you disable the onboard vido in DevManager? Try that too...

Eric
m
l
August 10, 2012 11:34:01 PM

ELaimins said:
You wouldn't happen to have another PC lying around you could put the 6950 into temporarily, and see if it works there?

Then I'd try booting with your monitor plugged into the Mobo. When up and running download the latest video drivers for that card and try adding it manually, i.e. under "add device" in Devices and Printers.

By the way, can you disable the onboard vido in DevManager? Try that too...

Eric

So I took the Graphics Card to my friends computer and put it in and it worked fine, so I'm starting to wonder if its not even the card but the motherboard itself. Also we changed the settings for the bios and now cant get the computer to even show up on the monitor now :( . It was working fine before we changed the primary graphics thing. Also I can't seem to find the reset button for the motherboard so I don't know how else to try and get back to the bios itself.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2012 3:08:29 AM

open the manual and find the section that says"clear cmos"that will get you back to default bios settings.

And looking in the manual online,all the info is in the manual for what and where to change things in the bios.
m
l
!