Why doesn't my graphics card work!?

Hello, I recently built a rig and downloaded all of the updates and what not but when I plug my screens into my Radeon HD 6950 graphics card, it doesn't show up on the screen. I think my computer just doesn't recognize the card but I don't know what to do. Help!
21 answers Last reply
More about doesn graphics card work
  1. whole system spec?
  2. Intel Core I7 2700k
    Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo
    Radeon HD 6950 2gb
    16GB Corsair Vengance lp DDR 3
    Samsung 830 SSD
    Corsair HX850 psu
  3. Also I'm a mega noob and may need to be asked for more than I give -_-
  4. renz496 said:
    whole system spec?



    Intel Core I7 2700k
    Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo
    Radeon HD 6950 2gb
    16GB Corsair Vengance lp DDR 3
    Samsung 830 SSD
    Corsair HX850 psu
  5. Does it work when you plug the monitor into the graphics port on the motherboard? You might have to go in and disable the onboard graphics for the card to work.
  6. Deemo13 said:
    Does it work when you plug the monitor into the graphics port on the motherboard? You might have to go in and disable the onboard graphics for the card to work.

    It does work when I plug straight into the Mobo but I have NO idea how to disable the onboard card.
  7. Plug the monitor into the motherboard and boot your computer. Then when something comes up, like the ASUS logo, hit "delete" or whatever it says to hit when it comes up. This should take you into the BIOS.

    Now in the BIOS, you can do alot of things, like overclock your 2700K (which I hope you did not just buy for gaming) and you can also do some other stuff you will probably learn later.

    Also in the BIOS, you can set the onboad graphics to be disabled. Now I don't know how to do it off the top of my head, but I'm sure if you navigate through enough windows you can figure out how. There's also videos on Youtube, and you can always refer to the motherboard manual.

    Once you have figured out how to disable it, then you can press F10 to save and restart the computer.
  8. Deemo13 said:
    Plug the monitor into the motherboard and boot your computer. Then when something comes up, like the ASUS logo, hit "delete" or whatever it says to hit when it comes up. This should take you into the BIOS.

    Now in the BIOS, you can do alot of things, like overclock your 2700K (which I hope you did not just buy for gaming) and you can also do some other stuff you will probably learn later.

    Also in the BIOS, you can set the onboad graphics to be disabled. Now I don't know how to do it off the top of my head, but I'm sure if you navigate through enough windows you can figure out how. There's also videos on Youtube, and you can always refer to the motherboard manual.

    Once you have figured out how to disable it, then you can press F10 to save and restart the computer.

    I'll be using it for more than gaming but its just all so puzzling to me. I'll give it a shot and go into the bios to see if I can figure it out
  9. Hope it works! Look up some videos on Youtube, they might help you.
  10. So I can't for the life of me turn off the onboard graphics card at all.... I change the options to my pci port on my mobo and when I save and reset it just starts back up and puts it back onto my onboard gbu.

    Also I neglected to mention that when I try to install drivers for the graphics card it comes up with a screen that says my device was not located. So I'm seriously lost here.
  11. Well it seems like its not picking up the card. Try re-seating it. Does it come up in device manager. (Computer>right click computer>click manage)
  12. Deemo13 said:
    Well it seems like its not picking up the card. Try re-seating it. Does it come up in device manager. (Computer>right click computer>click manage)

    It does not :/
  13. Then take it out and put it back in and see what happens.
  14. Deemo13 said:
    Then take it out and put it back in and see what happens.

    I did that already, and switched it to the other slot I have too just to see if if itd work but nothing happened. The fan on the card work when I turn on the computer so its getting power, it just doesnt show up on my computer at all.
  15. You did plug in the power connectors on the card correct?
  16. Deemo13 said:
    You did plug in the power connectors on the card correct?

    yes.
  17. Just making sure we covered all the bases.
  18. Deemo13 said:
    Just making sure we covered all the bases.

    I know you are and thank you for trying to help me, its just frustrating because I can't seem to find the issue
  19. cmfcj said:
    I know you are and thank you for trying to help me, its just frustrating because I can't seem to find the issue


    You wouldn't happen to have another PC lying around you could put the 6950 into temporarily, and see if it works there?

    Then I'd try booting with your monitor plugged into the Mobo. When up and running download the latest video drivers for that card and try adding it manually, i.e. under "add device" in Devices and Printers.

    By the way, can you disable the onboard vido in DevManager? Try that too...

    Eric
  20. ELaimins said:
    You wouldn't happen to have another PC lying around you could put the 6950 into temporarily, and see if it works there?

    Then I'd try booting with your monitor plugged into the Mobo. When up and running download the latest video drivers for that card and try adding it manually, i.e. under "add device" in Devices and Printers.

    By the way, can you disable the onboard vido in DevManager? Try that too...

    Eric

    So I took the Graphics Card to my friends computer and put it in and it worked fine, so I'm starting to wonder if its not even the card but the motherboard itself. Also we changed the settings for the bios and now cant get the computer to even show up on the monitor now :(. It was working fine before we changed the primary graphics thing. Also I can't seem to find the reset button for the motherboard so I don't know how else to try and get back to the bios itself.
  21. open the manual and find the section that says"clear cmos"that will get you back to default bios settings.

    And looking in the manual online,all the info is in the manual for what and where to change things in the bios.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics Cards Graphics