Looking for new monitors..need advice

Dewm

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
So I am currently running a LG FLATRON 23" monitor, I don't know what the refresh rate is :S or any of that stuff (just don't remember)
and a Samsung 20"..and I bought that used, so I don't know anything about it...but I do know its around 5 years old.

Anyways, I am looking at picking up 2 of these http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+27%26%2334%3B+Widescreen+Flat-Panel+LED+HD+Monitor/4880161.p?id=1218564871548&skuId=4880161

And I need opinions.. such as:
Do you think 60Hz is good enough? I've looked all over online and everything I can find is just based on opinions.
Is 27" to big?, I sit around 2.5ft away from my monitors, and my 23" is to small...so I dunno :S
How do you like LG monitors?

Mainly what I use my comp for..

40% internet (fb, forums etc...)
30% gaming, (minecraft, AOE2, simcity 4 etc..)
20% photoshop/video editing (photoshop elements 4, and adobe after effects)
10% movies (no blueray, just standard DVD + netflixs etc..)

lemme know what you think. :D
(BTW only going with 1 monitor is not a option, been using duel for years now...will NEVER go back)

ncasolo

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

My first question is what video card do you have?
My second question is why aren't you looking at getting 3? Do you not intend to do triple screen gaming? If you do my experience has been that 3 identical panels is much better than not especially if you consider that they won't even all be the same size.

120hz Monitors are very nice for racing sims however most monitors are 60hz and I'd bet that is what you have. I don't know if they're particularly awesome for FPS games or anything like that. However, I know there are other concerns with trying to triple screen 3x120hz monitors.

Dell just had a sale on Planar 27" 2ms monitors for $210 each. That's $630 and you get 3 instead of the $540 for 2 that you're looking at. Those monitors are apparently originally $460. The deal expired, but they've run that special 3 or 4 times now in the last 3 or 4 weeks.

http://bensbargains.net/categories/monitors-62/

The monitors you've selected aren't bad, but I would say they're over priced. Anything from best buy will be.

Dewm

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009

My graphics card is a Radeon HD 5870 1Gb

I don't really want to do "triple monitor gaming", the main reason for 2 monitors is: its really handy when doing photo editing, I like having my Spotify pulled up while I surf the web. and every now and again my daughter sit with me and watch her cartoons while I play a game.

So I don't think I really need triple..and that is my reason for double.

And as far as the Dell ones, I've never owned a Dell monitor, (except the one I use at work) and I would think they are alot like there computers (crap).....but maybe they aren't that bad?

Dewm

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
I should add. I have a 55" LG 1080P blah blah blah TV, and a Xbox...so any FPS or racing games I'd just play on the TV.

Computer games would be like, RTS games..and some stuff off of steam (TF2)

ncasolo

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

In my experience the Dell monitors are fine, but the one I pointed out is just sold by Dell. The thing with monitors in my experience is... read the reviews. If you really only need 2 for the reasons you indicated I would say just don't spend over $500. Keep an eye on deal websites read reviews and pull the trigger when you're ready.

I got 3 24" 1080p Monitors... $405 and that was a year ago. They're good monitors and you would still have to keep an eye out for deals to get a similar bargain. LG is solid for LCD panels, but $270 is too much. Also I wasn't a fan of the fact that those had 5ms response times. 2ms is better.

Dewm

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Just found the specs for the current 23" I have..

So my main concern is, am I going to get worse video/image quality with this new 27" monitor, then with my old one..

http://www.amazon.com/LG-W2353V-PF-23-Inch-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/tech-data/B002AKK6TS/ref=de_a_smtd

I've looked at all of the specs.. but some stuff I just don't know, like:

My current monitor has 50,000:1 contrast ratio and the new one I'm looking at has 5,000,000:1
which seems way better, but how? and will I notice it?

And my current monitor has 2ms response.. and the new one is 5ms, Does 3 ms really make a difference?

ncasolo

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
If you're an expert at noticing small details in image quality yes you would notice a difference in that contrast ratio.

5ms vs 2ms think of it this way. If you turn the steering wheel in a racing sim the display will react and turn the wheel on the screen. The 5ms monitors might have a bit of input lag. Not necessarily but that might be where it shows up.