New Build - Need Advice Before I spend $

chris338cd

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/j0Ls

I've taken some great advice from this forum. Based on that, I've tried to build a replacement system, but re-using my case, power supply (600W), fans, monitors (2 Samsung monitors), keyboard, and mouse. I was going to use on-board sound in case there were questions on that.

Main question: Am I forgetting something that will make this system not work?

Secondary question: Am I wildly overspending? I was going for fast, but reliable. I put my last system together in 2007 and other than the previously discussed RAID issues, I haven't had to touch it. That's what I need for this next system.

Final question:
32 bit Windows 7 or 64 bit? I'm installing MS Office. I have a copy of Dreamweaver for XP that I will be reinstalling as well as many games and other smaller apps.

I was planning on using the XP emulator in Windows 7. Will it matter if I'm running that from Windows 7 64 bit or Windows 7 32 bit?

Thanks!

Solution
Since you want 16GB of RAM you HAVE to have 64 bit. 32 bit allows you to have only 3.2GB's of RAM or somewhere around there. Your overspending on your RAM. GO with 8GB.

dscudella

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
GTX 650 is meh, I think you'll be disappointed. This Sapphire Radeon 7770 1gb would be a better choice for same price after rebate. You're also forgetting about an Optical Drive.

Edit: Theirs no need for a Z77 motherboard with a CPU that won't overclock.

BF3.png

Skyrim.png

chris338cd

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
I'm re-using my optical drive. I appreciate the advice about the mb. I'm not into overclocking. I just want speed and reliability. With that in mind, what cpu and mb would you recommend?