A Temperature Display

garrettk4

Honorable
May 31, 2012
I wasn't sure where to post this but I'm looking for a temperature display that can go in one of my 5.25 bays. I'm not looking to control my fans but more to monitor my cpu and motherboard temps without going out of games to look at them.

Is the NZXT Sentry a good one or should I look for more?

Again sorry if it was posted in the wrong section

Thanks in advance.

velosteraptor

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
Is there a reason you need to monitor such temps? Your PC should auto-shutdown when it crosses the "too hot" threshold anyway.

That being said, any external temp gauge like that will not report completely accurate temps. For the best temps, just use a program like speedfan

There are also mini LCD thermometers with a thermal probe attached to one end, that you can mount inside your case on the cheap, and you can get them in different colors to match whatever lights you might have.
check out frozencpu.com if that sounds interesting.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
You could also grab a program that has OSD for temps.

1.) Download and install MSI Afterburner.
2.) Make sure the On-Screen Display Server is running.
3.) Download HWiNFO either 32-bit or 64-bit. You can get either the stand-alone or the installer version. Get the installer if you are going to use this as a permanent thing.
4.) In HWiNFO go to Sensors, then go to Configure.
5.) Go to the sensor you want to show in the OSD and check the box to show it in the Rivatuner OSD. You can also pick what line to show it on and for it to be labelled or not.
6.) Close the config window and enjoy.

I borrowed that from a guy on TPU forums. He doesn't mention it, but you have to click on the sensor you want to add to the OSD for the box to become checkable.

The External Temp/Sensor displays usually aren't very accurate as Velosteraptor says. Unless you just want it for looks..