First build, gaming system.

Sevas627

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Okay. I'm looking into building my own system (Desktop) from the ground up. I intend to build a system with dual boot, having two operating systems, on two separate hard drives, XP and 7. It's going to be a gaming system and I intend put in as much ram as possible, a really good processor, and pretty good size hard drives. I'm thinking about a 1tb SSD for 7, and a 500 GB SATA for XP. still not sure what type of processor I'll be using, or what kind of ram. (brand, amount, etc.) I have no idea what kind of motherboard to get, or what bios I should use. I'm looking to spend less than $2000.00 and wont actually be buying any parts until probably January. Any advice or hardware suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, S.B. Hahn

KUR0KO

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Then wait until April and get a Haswell i5 + GTX 760 Ti.

I don't know why the ancient Windows XP is needed :p

Sevas627

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Mostly just nostalgia, I've always preferred xp, but I'm pretty sure it wont support many new games. (that, and I heard if you disable all the unnecessary background programs and visuals, windows 7 is actually pretty good, and wont take a whole minute to open a normal folder in drive C: ). That, and I own a copy XP.

KUR0KO

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
I remembered reinstalling Windows XP many times, but never had to do that with Windows 7.

I think Windows 7 is by far the best Windows ever and is 10x better than XP.

With new CPU and SSD, things open in a few seconds.

There's no 1TB SSD that you can buy, BTW :D

Sevas627

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
The haswell and gtx seem like a good combo. Any idea's about the motherboard/bios. I know a bit about cpu's gpu's Ram and memory, but I really don't know very much about motherboards. A few more details may help narrow it down. I intend to get a blue ray reader/writer, one that can read/write dvds and cds too. Im going to have at least 4 usbs os the back, and 2 on the front. a multimedia drive and floppy drive will also be on the front. (I need the floppy drive so I can justify still owning my windows 95 Compaq with 2 GB max memory, plus I think I'd rather have one than not, I doubt it'll cost very much anyways)

Hmm, as for the ssd, I was reading that it's the best possible drive for windows 7, but I hadn't really looked into what sizes where available yet. I guess I'll go with something else then, still going with 1TB. I looked it up and large sdd's are in fact available, but extremely costly. I'll definitely be using something else. (by the way, the largest I found was 2 TB, at over $9000.00)

nvidias release schedule is muc later than amds. you would have to wait at least a full year from the last release in order to get the next release at the least. so if you wanted a 760ti, dont expect it until around august at the minimum. there is no way nvidia would push out the mid/upper gpu within half a yearish from each other.

KUR0KO

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

Floppy... what? You are joking, right? :)

About SSD, people often have a small (like 120GB) SSD as system drive (OS + programs), and a huge (like 2TB) HDD as storage drive.

Sevas627

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
If nothing else, It'll get a laugh every once in a while. Besides, what could it cost, 15 bucks? :) (By the way, I know xp is way outdated, but it wont cost much more for an extra hard drive, and will give me an opportunity to try dual booting out. And it doesn't hurt that I know xp inside and out, including a few mods)

Sevas627

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

How complicated would it be to set it up like that? separate system and storage? or would you have to store all files manually? What would be the pros and cons?

KUR0KO

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
It's nothing complicated. Just install Windows and Programs on the SSD [C], media files (music, videos, images) on the HDD [D]. Make a 3rd Truecrypt drive for "sensitive" stuffs and you are good to go.

Pro:
- SSD provides blazing fast speed, Windows boot up in seconds, programs open as soon as you click on them
- HDD provides space to store anything you want

Con: none ;)

Sevas627

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

Thanks, I think I'll try that. (and as for xp, I'll only be using to it to surf the web and such, and maybe play some older games on it, If I use it at all, and it gets it's own hard drive, used for system and storage, so it doesn't crash the other one. think I'll go with something along the lines of 100 gb, rather than 500, 80 was enough for my last xp)

Sevas627

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

Not a bad lineup. I bookmarked the page, so I can get back to it when I'm ready to build. I still need to do a lot of research before I actually spend any money, but I've already learned a lot in just the past hour. Thanks for the help :)

Sevas627

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
By the way, are there any motherboards available right now with an LGA 1150 port (for the Haswell i5), or will I have to wait to get one? I can wait up to a year if I have to. I'm building this to be a next gen gaming computer, since next gen I'll probably be abandoning consoles. I have always prefered a console for convenience and affordability, but with the cost of consoles skyrocketing, and the fact that if you have a console, the console "owner" (microsoft, sony, nintendo, etc.) now want's to control everything on the console, is causing me to move towards computers. I'll just get myself a controller made for the computer, and hook the computer up to a flatscreen, and I'll be good to go. (I'll wait to buy the flatscreen until after I build the computer, I think it will need to meet certain specs to work well for computer gaming)

KUR0KO

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
I think SLI and Crossfire are a waste of money and electricity, unless you wanna play games on a 3 monitors set up.

Sevas627

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

Good to know. :)

Sevas627

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Thanks for all the info Kuroko :) I think I know everything I need to for now. And at 4:51 I think it's time for bed. Bye :)