Brand new install; wondering if I fracked up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cla55clown

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Just finished my 1st ever new build. Everything went well and I made a few changes in the UEFI and successfully installed Windows to my SSD (HDD was unplugged from data cable). Now I think I messed up because I didn't create any partitions or perform any formatting. Was I supposed to do that before installing Windows? If so, can I go back and fix the error? Thanks for any help.

Solution
Worst case scenario, you're missing some space. Here's how to find out.

1. Click the start button
2. type "disk part" without the quotes. Top result should be "Create and Format hard disk partitions." Hit Enter.
3. You'll see a list of all your drives in the top panel, and a breakdown of partitions in the lower panel. If you see anything that says "Unallocated" on your SSD in the lower panel, you're missing space.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Worst case scenario, you're missing some space. Here's how to find out.

1. Click the start button
2. type "disk part" without the quotes. Top result should be "Create and Format hard disk partitions." Hit Enter.
3. You'll see a list of all your drives in the top panel, and a breakdown of partitions in the lower panel. If you see anything that says "Unallocated" on your SSD in the lower panel, you're missing space.

Solution

Cla55clown

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

Thanks. Nothing reads "Unallocated" but it states the capacity as 59.53GB...it's a 64GB SSD so where is the extra 4 and a half GBs?

GI_JONES

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006

" Marketing Rounding Error"..... Haha..I like that

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Yeah, you've got to keep that kind of stuff in mind when you're buying drives. Marketing loves to use decimal sizes, when computers report binary.

Using binary, going up one prefix requires an increase of 2^10, or 1024. With decimal, it's a factor of 1000. So they say 1000 KB is a MB, when in fact it's not. The higher the prefix, the more space you lose because that 0.24% error compounds each time.

Status
Not open for further replies.