Random reboots after new 7970

psycoblaster

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
I've been gaming recently with my new 7970 ghz from xfx bought from newegg.
It's been fine for the first few days, but now my PC randomly reboots during gaming, not during regular browsing.

I'm speculating it is a GPU problem, because my 660 has been running fine before the switch.
I'm currently using a 850W power supply from cooler master Silent Pro M, which I've been using fine for about half an year to power a 660.

Is it possible that the GPU is causing the reboots?

I restored my PC and the same situation occurs, so I know it's not a software problem.

The reboots are caused 10~20 min in game with no other software running on the background; it's been happening to Tera and League of Legends, not really tested other games.
Funny thing is it worked fine for the first few days.
Anyone here can help me?

Specs:
i7 3770k
2x 4GB 1866 corsair dominator platinum
Xfx 7970 Ghz
Z77 mpower big bang

To note any additional information:
when I received the 7970 a few days back, it's been fine on a 1080p monitor which I bought for my roommate. I switched back to my 1600x900 monitor which I've been using with my 660, but i don't really know if monitors will cause reboots lol.

I've also been messing around with Sapphire trixx, and I think that may be one of the causes for the reboots, but I uninstalled it and restored the PC but it still reboots.
Is it possible that one of my components went bad during the past few days?

psycoblaster

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012

But how will I be sure it is a GPU issue? Won't the PC rather show a BSOD instead of a reboot if it was a GPU issue?
There are no dumps and the automatic reboot option is disabled from the advanced system settings.

logainofhades

Titan
Check and make sure everything is seated properly. I had an issue similar to that. I shut down the system, reseated the ram and video card and made sure the auxiliary power to the card was connected properly. Something was definitely loose in my rig as the problem went away.

psycoblaster

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Everything is fine inside the case, it's been running fine few days ago.
I haven't done any overclocking on the i7 or the ghz ed 7970, but let me try doing that to make sure it's not the parts overheating.
But it would be strange for such a system to overheat while just playing a mild game such as League, huh?

psycoblaster

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
does that mean it can possibly be a psu/gpu issue?
Memtest has been running fine for 5 hours no errors.
My PSU used to work fine with my 660, but of course I would understand the 7970 draws a lot more power, but the 850W should be enough right?

67-69 seems ok

though my gigabyte 7970 at 1ghz peaks at 56c when i play assassins creed 3

with the fans set between 33% and 50%

850w should be plenty--should be able to run 2 x 7970 of a good 850w--but its also about the amps

can you test the card in a friends pc?

psycoblaster

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
haha, the gigabyte windforce is known for its awesome cooler. I'm using automatic settings on my fans, maybe that's why.
(but I know that temps aren't what's causing the reboots, running prime95 and furmark at the same time putting my gpu at 75 and cpu at 95 is still fine, I just shut down prime95 when the cpu was about to reach the 100 mark) stock cooler >.>

My friend will let me borrow his 520W PSU from rosewill, which really isn't the best PSU brand but I'll give it a shot.

If you put the 660 back in and it runs fine, you can bet it's that new video card. I would RMA before it's too late. I had a bad 5850 that did the same thing to one of my PCs. The PC was working fine, then I put the new 5850 in and it would randomly reboot. I took it back to microcenter and exchanged it for a new one and all was well.

psycoblaster

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
would I be sure that the graphics card would be the problem if the pc runs fine with the 660? Just making sure cuz you know the 7970 does require lots of more power, requiring a 6pin and an 8 pin while the 660 only required a 6 pin.
Just making sure I pin down the problem.

psycoblaster

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
ok the problem was the 7970. I tested in a friend's machine with completely different specs and still caused the reboots. It's stupid that I can't get a refund from newegg anymore cuz I used the AMD coupon that came with it, but I'm certainly getting a replacement soon. I'll post again once the replacement comes.
Hopefully the replacement has a lot less coil whine, because the current GPU had serious coil whine issues.