MB: Asrock Z77 Extreme6
CPU: i5 - 3450, 3,1 Ghz
GC: Sapphire 6870 1GB
PSU: Be quiet! Pure Power CM BQT L8-CM-530W
RAM: 2x 4GB G.Skill

Problem: The monitor gets no signal!

Details:
-All vents are working normaly when powered on, also the graphiccard
-If plugged to onboard video, the monitor gets the signal!
-graphiccard build into an old machine shows it works flawless
-CMOS reset has been done
-RAM was tested via unplugging it seperately
-Mainboard BIOS update has been done

I don't know any further.

WHERE IS THE DR.HOUSE FOR THIS WHO CAN SOLVE THIS RIDDLE?
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2012 12:24:25 AM

Is the GPU properly seated in the PCIe slot.

Are you changing the monitors input when you change from the motherboard to the GPU? Are you still using DVI/HDMI/VGA/w/e.

Another thought, have you tried changing which video out is the dominant one in your BIOS settings? I know I can manually assign whether it's PCIe or the Motherboard. Although on mine it will automatically default to the second choice.
September 19, 2012 6:49:04 PM

This is a very - very common problem!
I had same problem with AsRock Z77 Pro 3 and 6870

I looked through lots of reviews on Z77 based motherboards. Eventually someone would write that PCIe 3 socket will not work with their PCIe 2 graphic card.

It seems all P77 based motherboards do not work with PCIe 2 graphic cards!

NOTE: Computer would boot if you set PCIe port to "Gen 1" and not touch any overclocking settings. (well it would boot 90% of the time). This is not a power or sitting problem.

(Please prove me wrong I want PCIe3 motherboard!)
Related resources
a c 291 U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 6:56:39 PM

^

That's nonsense. I have PCIe 3.0 motherboard and 2.0 card - GTX 560 Ti works just fine.

@OP: Did you connect two 6-pin power connectors from the power supply unit directly to the graphics card?
September 19, 2012 7:04:28 PM

Sunius said:
^

That's nonsense. I have PCIe 3.0 motherboard and 2.0 card - GTX 560 Ti works just fine.

@OP: Did you connect two 6-pin power connectors from the power supply unit directly to the graphics card?

Of course. 6870 would work if you set PCIe port to "Gen 1" and not touch any overclocking settings.
To get motherboard to POST all I had to do is to remove my 6870.

What motherboard do you have?
a c 291 U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 7:09:07 PM

Asrock z68 Extreme3 Gen3.

PCI express is backwards compatible...
September 19, 2012 7:30:17 PM

Sunius said:
Asrock z68 Extreme3 Gen3.

PCI express is backwards compatible...

Everyone says they are compatible but if Support tells you you need to set PCIe to "Gen 1" then there is some kind of compatibility problem
a c 291 U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 7:42:47 PM

Support usually has no idea what they are talking about.
September 19, 2012 9:06:57 PM

From GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H review - same problem !
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-128-...

So I first build the pc without putting in the Video card to try out the CPU graphics from Intel. Well not too bad but not able to play game in mid setting. Then I bought a ATI 6870 pcie 2.1 to put it into the MB. The MB will not detect it at all, I tried to go to bios to do all the setting change to force to detect PCIE slots. In short I tried every pcie slots and all setting, the only one thing I have not tried is to call customer service of Gigabyte. I bought a pcie 3.0 video card, and it detected it right on first try. So, I got it. This board is not for PCIE 2.1.
a c 291 U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 5:13:37 AM

You may have had a dead card or not sufficient power supply unit. As I said before, PCI express is backwards compatible.
September 23, 2012 4:55:12 PM

Definetally backwards compatible. Bought asrock z77 e-6 last week found gigabyte 6870 straight out of box no bios update didn't even need to look at north bridge configuration...but windows wouldn't load :o  (sweats a lot)...ahci IDE configuration be damned :lol: 
September 23, 2012 5:09:52 PM

Oh and if card is seated properly (pull it out and reseat sometimes fixes the problem your having) has both power pins attached and you make sure north bridge config is set to pcie and not onboard the only other thing I could think of is your hdmi cable is wacked, it's happened to me did my head in until I realised.
September 24, 2012 11:20:26 PM

Snikrs_77 said:
Oh and if card is seated properly (pull it out and reseat sometimes fixes the problem your having) has both power pins attached and you make sure north bridge config is set to pcie and not onboard the only other thing I could think of is your hdmi cable is wacked, it's happened to me did my head in until I realised.

Guys - again:
Computer would boot if you set PCIe port to "Gen 1" and not touch any overclocking settings. (well it would boot 90% of the time)

Or I can remove 6870 and motherboard will POST.

This has nothing to do with "onboard" or power - this is a common problem! Look at motherboard reviews.
!