How do I change an icon for a specific file type extension? It's just that
..doc (which are supposed to be Microsoft Word icons) have icons like the
WordPad icon. It used to have Word icons for .doc but not anymore. Is there a
way I can change this in Windows or Word?

--
• Thorpe •

Does Word or Wordpad open when you double click a .doc file?

If WordPad, Right click a a .doc file | Properties |
General tab | Opens with: if not Microsoft Word |
Click the Change button and select Word

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:CA4AD5E1-7F1D-425F-BF5B-E2E67CAA4B77@microsoft.com,
Thorpe <thorpe89@msn.com> hunted and pecked:
> How do I change an icon for a specific file type extension? It's just that
> .doc (which are supposed to be Microsoft Word icons) have icons like the
> WordPad icon. It used to have Word icons for .doc but not anymore. Is
> there a way I can change this in Windows or Word?
>

> --
> • Thorpe •

Open With doesn't change icons unless the file is not registered (doc is registered by default on XP - also if Word is installed then Word will register it to itself).

"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message news:eXtiut%23tFHA.2964@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Does Word or Wordpad open when you double click a .doc file?
>
> If WordPad, Right click a a .doc file | Properties |
> General tab | Opens with: if not Microsoft Word |
> Click the Change button and select Word
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:CA4AD5E1-7F1D-425F-BF5B-E2E67CAA4B77@microsoft.com,
> Thorpe <thorpe89@msn.com> hunted and pecked:
>> How do I change an icon for a specific file type extension? It's just that
>> .doc (which are supposed to be Microsoft Word icons) have icons like the
>> WordPad icon. It used to have Word icons for .doc but not anymore. Is
>> there a way I can change this in Windows or Word?
>>

>> --
>> • Thorpe •

A while back I changed Open With for *.rtf to WordPad from Word. All three
of my *.rtf files have the Icon Index 1 icon.

If I change Open With for *.rtf and *.doc from WordPad to Word the icons
change from Index 1 icon to the Word icon. And vice versa.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User