Film/slide scanner

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
January 10, 2005 11:51:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

Has anyone had experience of digitising slides. I have a number which I
would like to put on my computer and wonder which is the best method. 1)
Buy a small dedicated scanner. 2) Use a flat bed scanner which has the
ability to scan slides. 3) Some other method. Thanks, BobS
--
Tees off to reply.

More about : film slide scanner

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 2:49:37 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

I've had an Epson Perfection 1200 Photo flatbed which came with a backlit
negative / slide adapter which replaces the usual lid.
The software manages to determine the individual images if you scan several
at once.

It works well enough, but a dedicated scanner might be better for processing
large numbers.
--
Peter Brunning
Cambridge, England

"BobS" <Tcheznous2T@tiscali.fr> wrote in message
> Has anyone had experience of digitising slides. I have a number which I
> would like to put on my computer and wonder which is the best method. 1)
> Buy a small dedicated scanner. 2) Use a flat bed scanner which has the
> ability to scan slides. 3) Some other method. Thanks, BobS
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 10:02:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

"BobS" <Tcheznous2T@tiscali.fr> wrote in message

> Has anyone had experience of digitising slides. I have a number which I
> would like to put on my computer and wonder which is the best method.

If you have a lot of slides, look for a dedicated film scanner that has a
batch feeder.
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 5:12:44 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

"BobS" <Tcheznous2T@tiscali.fr> wrote in message
> Has anyone had experience of digitising slides. I have a number which I
> would like to put on my computer and wonder which is the best method. 1)
> Buy a small dedicated scanner. 2) Use a flat bed scanner which has the
> ability to scan slides. 3) Some other method. Thanks, BobS
> --
> Tees off to reply.

Hey Bob,

I read an article in one of the digital photo magazines last year about
copying slide to digital media. If I read it right, unless you want to
invest major bucks in the necessary equipment, your best bet would be to
take the slides to a Ritz camera or similar shop and have them transfer the
slides.

The granularity of the slides and the pixel size of the scanner comes into
play in regard to the clarity and 'edge sharpness' of the finished product.
Also the color clarity and offsets come into play with the low end scanners.

I have a bunch of family slides from my Dad's era (1950's) that I wanted to
xfer and tried several methods from building a rig from a slide viewer and a
digital camera to trying to use the available slide/scanner frames that are
supposed to do a good job. I was never able to resolve the issue of the
edges of the original image being out of focus and color washed.

I finally a couple of the slides and had the local camera shop xfer them to
CD. They came out better that I could do (other than the knuckle head that
loaded the slides couldn't tell top from bottom and right from left). I have
to blame myself for the right / left mix up. If you're going to try the
camera shop method, I would suggest you preview all the slides and mark them
"front" so the lettering in any of them is readable after the xfer.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

Walt
!