October 1, 2012 3:04:21 PM

My specs:
ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.0) Motherboard
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express
Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W Power Supply
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W
Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
Windows 7 64Bit

I have flashed the 6950 videocard to a 6970 using http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/...ng/vidcard/159.

The Problem:

My computer has been running pretty smoothly for the last year now, until yesterday. I was playing Guild Wars 2 and the computer screen goes black and the sound goes in a loop. I thought this was just my computer possibly overheating so I shut it down for the night.

The next morning, I attempted to play again, this time leaving the computer on and at the character select screen, with no actual playing. The computer locked up yet again after about 5 minutes. I initially thought this was isolated to Guild Wars 2 but this now occurs when the computer is idle at the DeskTop screen for 5 minutes. The screen goes black, and locks up, forcing a hard reboot.

So I checked the temps for both the processesor and graphics card. Both run idle at about 40 degrees, alittle hotter than I would like but not catastrophic. I then checked the temps while running Guild Wars 2 and they both ran around 60-70 degrees.

So I adjusted the fans a bit, cleaned out the computer, and it still locks up even after the temps get to 70 degrees MAX.

I am able to boot the computer in safe mode with NO ISSUES. I've left it idle for 3 hours at safemode and the computer has not locked up.

I have reformated my computer completely, and updated the videocard drivers as well.

So is this a clear sign my graphics card has died?

More about : system lockup

October 1, 2012 3:13:11 PM

Have you ever overclocked your CPU besides Turbo Boost? If you have tweaked the clock speed, it might become unstable.
m
l
October 1, 2012 3:14:15 PM

Try resetting the GPU clock and memory speed to its defaults.
m
l
Related resources
October 1, 2012 4:29:30 PM

Wouldn't these settings for the processor and graphics card have been set to default during the system reformat?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 1, 2012 4:37:53 PM

They are BIOS settings, not windows settings. Unless you reset the BIOS values to default, no.
m
l
October 1, 2012 5:05:33 PM

Got ya. I will double check that I have reset my BIOs settings when I get home., currently at work.
m
l
October 1, 2012 8:24:37 PM

It's been about 6 to 7 months since I added a fresh coat. You think it's about that time again?

And I definitely appreciate the how-to's :) 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 1, 2012 10:30:58 PM

lol yeah i love when people do that( give the how-to's) so i try and spread the favor :D 

but yeah try both the bios update and re-coating... also get a air can and clear out all the dust from your case
http://www.amazon.com/Innovera-51505-Compressed-Gas-Dus...

what are the temps of your gpu and cpu in idel and underload?
CPU(monitors the temp)
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
gpu(again monitors the temp)
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2157/TechPowerUp_G...
m
l
October 1, 2012 11:53:50 PM

I agree with Panicmaster
Misconfigured BIOS can be a pain in the ass
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 2, 2012 12:06:29 AM

yep
m
l
October 2, 2012 1:20:37 AM

The computer temps idle at around 30 degrees, and get as high as 60-70 degrees during gameplay. I dusted and cleaned the inside out pretty well. So here's an update:

-The 6950 has a '1' and '2' setting for dual BIOs settings. So I switched it over to the '2' setting

-I reset the CMOS

-I set the processor overclock settings to their default values using the BIOs software.

After all of this, I was able to install Guild Wars 2, but still had the screen go black and lock up. So about 3 hours of uptime.

I'll try giving the BIOS an update right now and see how that works.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 2, 2012 1:23:00 AM

OK keep us posted
m
l
October 2, 2012 2:47:37 AM

Reseated the processor with new compound on it. Ran the temps on it while running Guild Wars 2. Reached 40 degrees at MAX and still locked up the computer.

I have absolutely no idea what's going on :( 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 2, 2012 2:50:38 AM

have you updated you bios yet?
m
l
October 2, 2012 2:52:00 AM

Yup. Flashed it with the latest version VIA flashdrive.

This is getting extremely frustrating
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 2, 2012 2:56:23 AM

Dont worry Panic Master is here :p  (that was ******* cheesy :D )

Do you have any other gpu's? So we can make sure that its not the gpu
m
l
October 2, 2012 3:03:51 AM

I do not. Is there any way of using onboard graphics or the Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge graphics? If that's possible?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 2, 2012 4:17:57 AM

I think so... there should be a vga or dvi output on the part of your mobo that sticks out
m
l
October 2, 2012 12:06:52 PM

If you try, and integrated graphics still crash the computer, then the motherboard itself might be damaged.
m
l
October 2, 2012 1:02:39 PM

I just thought of this:

How would I test the integrated graphics? Im sure I wouldnt be able the run Guild Wars 2, so how would I stress test the integrated graphics in a similar fashion? The system does not lock up at the desktop screen anymore
m
l
October 2, 2012 2:16:41 PM

My brother's willing to let me swap out his GeForce card and test it. If this works, I can atleast narrow it down to a GPU issue and buy a new card.
m
l
October 2, 2012 2:42:54 PM

Ok you do that.

m
l
October 2, 2012 6:19:26 PM

Any suggestions on a replacement card if it does indeed turn out to be a faulty video card? Around the $170-$200 price range
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 2, 2012 8:25:59 PM

what is the card you have now again?
m
l
October 3, 2012 2:31:21 AM

HD 7870 is a very nice card.
I don't know about nVidia cards really.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 3, 2012 3:29:56 AM

yeah, you should still have coverage on your card now... if not then get the 7870 ghz if thats the most you can afford... also did it work with onboard or with your bros gpu?
m
l
October 3, 2012 12:49:45 PM

So here's an update from last night:

I ran Prime95 using it's default settings (Testing the processor and a some RAM) and the computer locked up after about an hour. I had thoughts that MAYBE it was my processor, so I tested it again. This time using a different setting (Testing the processor and ALITTLE RAM) and the computer did not lock up. So before I did the GPU switch, I got 2 sticks of my brother's RAM (he uses the same kind as me) and flipped them with mine. Instead of running Prime95, I fired up Guild Wars 2 and had the computer lock up on me after about 5 minutes, so the usual.

So I got ahold of my brother's GPU, uninstalled my ATi drivers and installing GeForce. With his RAM still in my system, I ran Guild Wars 2 flawlessly for around 15 minutes. So I switched out his RAM for mine, and got the same results.

So it's got to be my GPU, correct? My only hesitation is that when I originally put in both sticks of HIS RAM, my onboard RAM light turned red and the computer refused to post. So I took one stick out, and the computer posted. I then did the same with MY RAM, and the computer refused to post, until I took out one stick from the same slot. I then put in both sticks after a reboot, and both of my RAM sticks posted fine.

I tried getting MemTest86 + to work off of a USB drive, but couldnt get results (there were a few cases of this from their forums). I will attempt to boot it from a CD when i get home tonight.

So I'm PRETTY sure it's my GPU that needs replacing, but it still could be my memory or motherboard. I will update tonight, this is damn exausting
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 3, 2012 1:17:06 PM

OK try putting the ram into the other 2 busses and see if that makes it post with both in... it not posting is a bit strange and sounds a little like a mobo but its not deadly, just run memtest if you can and like i said use the other 2 busses... if you want try your old gpu and his ram if you dont trust your ram, but im betting on the gpu and the ram busses

anyways do as i said which is test the busses by putting the two sticks in the other two busses and test.
try to use his ram and your old gpu
try to run memtest

Hope this helps and update me after you have completed what you can :D 
m
l
October 3, 2012 3:06:07 PM

PanicMaster85 said:
OK try putting the ram into the other 2 busses and see if that makes it post with both in... it not posting is a bit strange and sounds a little like a mobo but its not deadly, just run memtest if you can and like i said use the other 2 busses... if you want try your old gpu and his ram if you dont trust your ram, but im betting on the gpu and the ram busses

anyways do as i said which is test the busses by putting the two sticks in the other two busses and test.
try to use his ram and your old gpu
try to run memtest

Hope this helps and update me after you have completed what you can :D 

You mean, instead of putting the sticks in A1, B1; he should put the sticks in A2, B2?
At this point I think the GPU is more likely to be failing.
If his PC didn't boot with his sticks nor his brother's, I'd say that the mobo is not fully compatible with the kit. I'm not saying that it isn't compatible at all. Maybe it is, and both kits are not working properly somehow.
Splinter: did your bro's computer work fine with your RAM sticks?
Testing sticks in different motherboards is a good way to discard certain possible mistakes.
Like Panic said, leave Memtest overnight, so you get a complete test.
m
l
October 3, 2012 3:30:51 PM

I have my 'faulty' videocard and original sticks of Ram in my computer currently, and will boot up Memtest as soon as I get home, to run for a few hours.

If it passes, that should completely rule out bad memory and I'll put in a new videocard.

I'll post results as soon as I can!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 3, 2012 9:20:42 PM

crowz9 said:
You mean, instead of putting the sticks in A1, B1; he should put the sticks in A2, B2?
At this point I think the GPU is more likely to be failing.

Yeah well he still needs to test his mobo/memory im sure it is the card but i dont want him to send back his card and then in a week get it and then nothing happens

also do you have a mini atx mobo?
m
l
October 4, 2012 12:37:37 PM

Here are the results from last night:

I tested both of my sticks of RAM for 2 hours using Memtest and had no failures. So, with the 'faulty' videocard in the machine, I attempted to play Guild Wars 2. The computer locked up after 1 minutes, as expected.

So I put the new videocard I had purchased into the machine (2GB GeForce 560 SC), installed the new drivers after wiping the old ones out, and booted up Guild Wars 2. Ran perfectly for 4 hours last night.

Moral of the story: don't be a dumbass and overclock your GPU without putting effort into testing the thing on a weekly basis. haha

I want to thank everyone in this thread for the support they've provided, you all definitely got me through this, and I hope someone stumbles upon this thread in a google search when their PC locks up and they're in need of help :) 
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
October 4, 2012 8:32:39 PM

lol here ill restate the solution and then you can best answer it
also im glad you were able to fix it(I told you Panicmaster was here :p )

anyways the
issue is your gpu, you ran all the tests and after replacing the gpu it works perfectly
October 5, 2012 12:34:33 PM

Best answer selected by splinter24.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 5, 2012 8:18:01 PM

awesome hope it goes well in the future
m
l
!