Sign in with
Your question

Next gen Xbox vs 3770k?

Last response: in CPUs
February 14, 2013 3:59:32 AM

So,

I have a 3770k system for work and play. 16gb ram, ssd, gtx 670, etc. My brother in law is an Xbox dude i'm trying to convert to PC gaming.

The xbox 720 rumors indicate an 8 core amd cpu... for the sake of argument, if it is true, what is the functional difference between my 4 core + 4 virtual core 3770k and an 8 core console processor? I'm only half nerd and don't get the whole virtual thing and don't want to hear *** about it at every holiday if his gaming experience doesn't kick ass better than his xbox buddies...

Diggit,
Thanks...

More about : gen xbox 3770k

a c 174 à CPUs
February 14, 2013 4:03:03 AM

wouldnt expect much from consoles compared to current gen pc parts, the ps3 has a 7 core and it came out in 2006, and the xbox 360 has a 5 core, but they come no where near a pc.

Consoles are always usually 2 generations behind, and rumors of amd 8 cores, are for both consoles and i know for sure that the ps3 rumors come from the dev kits given out, which were 8 cores and amd 7xxx series gpu or southern islands which will not end up in the console itself
m
l
February 14, 2013 4:14:05 AM

Thanks,

I get that point, even the steambox specs looks like crap (whatever...). A 2006/7 ps3/xbox comparison is a bit irrelevant to today's contextual inquiry...

However even if for the sake of marketing they ship a unit with "8 cores", what does it functionally mean? Really, I just don't know how a virtual core works and how to discuss it with this individual that will make sense...

The other point is that if developers start optimizing games for "8" cores and then porting them, should I tell him to wait to see the specs and then wait for the comparative intel processor release?

I understand that the PC will crush everything, but I would like to have solid reasoning when I tell him to give up his familiarity/streamlined peripherals/convince his friends...
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2013 4:21:26 AM

next xbox cpu vs the i7 3770k. not even a close match. it's like bringing only your fist (xbox 720 or whatever) to fight a goddamn aircraft carrier (3770k)!
nah that's a bit exaggerated. but trust me, it won't even be close. the only thing going for the xbox 720 will be game optimization.
m
l
February 14, 2013 4:31:24 AM

The trend seems to be that consoles are more powerful than gaming computers when they first come out, and then are eventually overtaken since they can't be upgraded. The Xbox 360 has a 3 core (or at least the release ones did) CPU which was quite beefy back in the day. If I remember right, the Pentium D series was either not out yet, or had just been released, which was intel's first dual core CPU (which was also in my very first computer :p )

I think that the next gen Xbox will have more power under it's hood than current gaming PCs, although that shouldn't last more than a year or so.

I've had an xbox 360 since 2006, and I actually enjoy gaming on it a bit more to be honest. It's just a more "gaming oriented experience", if that makes any sense. The only reason you get an Xbox is to play games, and the entire system is built with that in mind. I have a passion for computer building, and anything IT related, but when it comes to games nothing really beats grabbing a coke and firing up the old 360 at a friend's house. PC gaming is more for sitting in your room all alone with the lights off and playing Skyrim until dawn.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2013 5:31:48 AM

one of the reason why consoles do not slow down much (unlike a pc wherein you will really spend if you want a powerful rig) is because there is only one configuration of hardware, unlike pc wherein you have soo many.
but hardware per hardware, pc wins hands down.
and yes, consoles are 2 gens behind, usually.

personally, i just prefer pc, dont get me wrong we have ps3 and xbox360 on our house.
m
l
a c 471 à CPUs
February 14, 2013 5:50:47 AM

If I am not mistaken those "8 core CPUs" are clocked at 1.6GHz.

So less powerful than an FX-8350.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2013 5:58:53 AM

if the always connected to the internet, and required kinnect rumors are true... all i can say is enjoy your cia spy device.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2013 6:27:05 AM

neon neophyte said:
if the always connected to the internet, and required kinnect rumors are true... all i can say is enjoy your cia spy device.

They will be made in China, so it won't be the CIA......

m
l
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2013 7:10:07 AM

The 3770K will obliterate an XBox.
m
l
February 14, 2013 7:28:10 AM

lazyboy947 said:
the ps3 has a 7 core and it came out in 2006, and the xbox 360 has a 5 core

You know nothing about these consoles, do you?
m
l
February 14, 2013 7:30:04 AM

neon neophyte said:

Your laptop or your smartphone is as much as a "cia spy device" than the new xbox. And, they are just rumors..
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
February 14, 2013 7:53:16 AM

You should also research and delve into what those "8 cores" would mean. take the 3770 and a PS3 cell processor for example. While the i7 has 4 cores, the PS3 cell has 9.

but.... the i7 has 4 full cores, independent and equal in every sense and strength. the cell however has one power pc (traditional RISC, Load/store cpu, termed PPE) and six SPE (synergistic processing units) and two more SPE units that are engaged under specific load conditions.

The PPE handles the OS and also delegates tasks to SPE's (physics computation, texture mapping, characters etc). The fact remains that SPE's are not strong independent, fully functional (meaning capable as a standard desk top cpu) cores rather specialized ones and overall a cell processor is not as strong as a native 4 core HT muscle processor like the 3770. If you can locate it, I remember reading an IEEE spectrum article (way back in 2005-06 i'd guess, do correlate with PS3 launch) on PS3 and game developers "Insomniacs". It's a great read and tells all the fun things about that cell processor design.

In my opinion, the console processors should rather be compared with APU's for a better analysis as they both pack the same purpose on a single die.

or...It would be interesting to maybe have a face off between a single core active cpu with IGP enabled and a console cpu.

Like a Haswell mobile cpu (3 cores disabled) with GT3 and Xbox 720
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2013 7:58:27 AM

Let's put it like this: it will take at least another 3 years before AMD makes an equal CPU to the i7-3770k. No such CPU will be in any console :) .
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2013 1:27:34 PM

The rumors are than the next Xbox will feature an 8 Core AMD processor and that its cores will not share recources.
This effectively means that they are going to put a processor similar to a Phenom, but more multithreaded and a lot better overall, but clocked a lot lower to save power.
This basicly means that even in the best case scenario, the 3770K will be faster, but since games can't really make use of so much power, there will be no real world difference.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2013 2:03:55 PM

gamingboy said:
Your laptop or your smartphone is as much as a "cia spy device" than the new xbox. And, they are just rumors..

yup, tho this is specifically more sophisticated on the hardware end of things.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2013 2:04:24 PM

twelve25 said:
They will be made in China, so it won't be the CIA......

doesnt matter where it is produced.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2013 2:10:39 PM

FinneousPJ said:
The 3770K will obliterate an XBox.

With HD4000? Or was there a GPU you forgot to mention?
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2013 2:11:57 PM

neon neophyte said:
doesnt matter where it is produced.

It does is we are creating tin-foil hat conspiracies!

m
l
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2013 2:13:52 PM

twelve25 said:
With HD4000? Or was there a GPU you forgot to mention?

Nice try but we're discussing CPU performance, smart-ass :lol: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2013 2:33:56 PM

FinneousPJ said:
Nice try but we're discussing CPU performance, smart-ass :lol: 

Are we?

This was the last line:

"....and don't want to hear *** about it at every holiday if his gaming experience doesn't kick ass better than his xbox buddies... "

But yes, I am a smartass.....

m
l
a c 101 à CPUs
February 14, 2013 2:56:11 PM

You can't compare cores on consoles, they are optimized and run a lean OS. A whole new XBox or 360 update containing a new dash (OS, new drive firmware, everything) is usually only 150-300mb. What's a Windows 7 or 8 install take? 10-20GB? PCs are generic mutli-use system, consoles are optimized that don't have to take into account 1000 different video cards, memory configs, etc. Small colleges have made PS3 render farm and processing farms, because they are cheap and you can get much more raw processing with them than PC's.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2013 3:21:45 PM

twelve25 said:
It does is we are creating tin-foil hat conspiracies!

nope.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2013 4:06:03 PM

neon neophyte said:
nope.

Are we having one of those kinds of arguments now?

Yes-huh! :kaola: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2013 4:27:59 PM

"It does is we are creating tin-foil hat conspiracies!"

is pretty much the equivalent of "yes-huh." so really, we were already having that kind of argument.

i dont see why it matters who solders a cpu to a board. at all.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2013 4:34:40 PM

neon neophyte said:
"It does is we are creating tin-foil hat conspiracies!"

is pretty much the equivalent of "yes-huh." so really, we were already having that kind of argument.

i dont see why it matters who solders a cpu to a board. at all.

I just actually let out a long sigh in real life.

It doesn't actually matter. Since the Xbox has a Kinect with cameras and a dedicated internet connection, there have been half-joking conspiracies of privacy intrusion. Someone implied that the CIA would use those to monitor. I said that since they are made in China it wouldn't be the CIA, implying it would be the Chinese government. If any of this sounded serious to you, or as a commentary on global jobs outsourcing then you need to get out for some fresh air.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2013 4:44:04 PM

ill go frolic in the snow
m
l
a c 101 à CPUs
February 14, 2013 4:49:54 PM

Kinect tin foil covers on sale on ebay soon..........

That's what always gets me with the conspiracy theory people, they are watching us through our tv's, cell phones, webcams they claim. What are they watching? My cell phone, they are watching my pocket 90% of the time. Oh no.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2013 6:38:20 PM

There is too much data to care about a specific individual, but scrubbed data about how you use your phone and the gps logs from your phone are definitely used for research and marketing.

m
l
a c 174 à CPUs
February 14, 2013 7:30:00 PM

gamingboy said:
You know nothing about these consoles, do you?

Srry i know more about the ps3 as its what i have, and its not similar to a pc processor but theres 6 cores that do something and 1 that does another and of course no where meets a pc 7 core, i know the difference but its not worth saying when u can literally google each consoles specs and the xbox well i forgot the core count, i just took a guess at it as i dont care for xbox of lol all i need to know is that consoles are always way behind current gen pc hardware, and never believe the console rumors
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2013 7:33:10 PM

"This Cell configuration has one PPE on the core, with eight physical SPEs in silicon. In the PlayStation 3, one SPE is locked-out during the test process, a practice which helps to improve manufacturing yields, and another one is reserved for the OS, leaving 6 free SPEs to be used by games' code."
m
l
February 14, 2013 9:36:03 PM

Hmmm, some good information and good fun...

First, considering the global one world government conspiracy, there is no difference where it is made, "they" are watching us... Of course a tin foil hat only works over a wireless device (or a brain), so obviously this is a surreptitious way to get us to hard-wire a camera!!! I blame major league baseball.

Anyway, I still haven't seen a response that addresses how virtual cores operate vs. physical, ie; if a game is optimizes for 8 cores and I have a theoretical 4x4v or 2x2v or 7 or 9 how does the optimization sift out? If I wait a year and get a 12 core cpu could it dedicate 8 to the optimized game and let the rest manage the OS independently? This may be ComSci 101, but I really would like to be able to understand and then explain what is actually happening.

On another note, graphics questions are relevant...

edit:
I do have a PS3... I know the current functional differences. However, I HATE the way sony has managed it's system and clients after purchase. I will be amazed if the PS4 still exists in a couple years unless it's super duper awesone enough to overshadow the piss poor company behind it.
m
l
February 14, 2013 10:36:01 PM

i highly doubt a console thats supposed to be bought by millions of consumers can have a cpu as strong as the 3770 and be remotely affordable
m
l
a c 101 à CPUs
February 14, 2013 10:44:06 PM

Sarutobi0997 said:
i highly doubt a console thats supposed to be bought by millions of consumers can have a cpu as strong as the 3770 and be remotely affordable

Who says it has to be as strong as a 3770? Consoles are dedicated gaming only, set number of configurations and streamlined OS means it can the same thing with less power because less it going on.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 15, 2013 12:49:28 AM

just how much overhead do you think a pc operating system has compared to the performance for a 3770?
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 15, 2013 6:39:14 AM

My CPU is running about 0% right now. Oh wait, it just blipped up to 1%.

Really the major overhead for windows is disk and ram. It's bloated in file space (30+ GB just for windows and updates!) but it's pretty lightweight in terms of CPU power. I have an e-350 laptop, which ranks about even with an old pentium 4 and it's really zippy with Windows 7 and an SSD.

m
l
February 15, 2013 11:55:34 AM

jaguarskx said:
If I am not mistaken those "8 core CPUs" are clocked at 1.6GHz.

So less powerful than an FX-8350.

if based on the same architectural then ..... :pfff: 
m
l
!