Sign in with
Your question

Trouble with graphics card choices!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 11, 2012 12:06:50 AM

I am getting a computer from cyberpower pc, and I already have all the parts chosen but the graphics card. Here are the specs:

Intel® Core™ i5-3570K 3.40 GHz (going to overclock)
8GB (4GBx2) DDR3 RAM
700 Watt PSU
1TB SATA-III 6.0gb/s HDD

Total build price with the default GTX 550 TI 1GB selected: $845

Now comes my hard decision. I am planning to do youtube videos with FRAPS and Battlefield 3. I want to have it run smoothly off/on recording, but I obviously know recording will drag down my FPS. My default choice is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB 16X PCIe. I can go down to a NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 4GB 16X PCIe for $40 cheaper, but I expect that since it's cheaper, I won't get as much performance out of it. But, it has 4gb on the card, so I expect that would be better? My other choice would be the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 2GB 16X, which would be $66 more expensive. Which card should I get? I'm really confuzzled! Should I get AMD?
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2012 12:17:58 AM

IIRC the 550ti is much more powerful than a 630.

What resolutions will you be playing at? Depending on what you play at you will not need more than 1gb of Vram.
m
l
August 13, 2012 9:49:44 PM

I whould recommed the msi twin frozer 2 gtx 560ti 2gb, i have one and its great.

also the new gtx660ti are comming out and if you willing to pay the money they whould be a better choice.

it also depens if you going to be gaming at 1080p and if your going to be playing at max setting.

i think i get around 40fps with mine but im not sure.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 13, 2012 10:11:48 PM

I'll usually play at 420p and ocassionally 720p. All the settings will be on medium-low, because I favor performance over looks. How many frames should I get/which card?
m
l
August 14, 2012 12:05:38 AM

I think you should get 7770 from AMD its stronger cheapr than 550ti and by the way dont you never ever get a standart power supply from cyberpower THEY ARE CHEAP! Pay $30 more to the psu otherwise always have your fire extinguisher with you they are $20 you'll save $10 :D . But seriesly DO NOT get a cheap PSU!
AdmiralDuty said:
I'll usually play at 420p and ocassionally 720p. All the settings will be on medium-low, because I favor performance over looks. How many frames should I get/which card?
m
l
August 14, 2012 7:50:56 AM

asalikus said:
I think you should get 7770 from AMD its stronger cheapr than 550ti and by the way dont you never ever get a standart power supply from cyberpower THEY ARE CHEAP! Pay $30 more to the psu otherwise always have your fire extinguisher with you they are $20 you'll save $10 :D . But seriesly DO NOT get a cheap PSU!

I was aiming for a 560ti, should I still get an AMD card or an nvidia? I am aiming to play battlefield 3 with fraps.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 14, 2012 3:21:23 PM

AMD and Nvidia are just brands each have good cards but the biggest observable difference is usually in their drivers.

Nvidia typically has better drivers than ATI which means better stability and better frame rates. Both have bum drivers once in a while though.

I have recently used ATI cards because they've been the better value (performance to dollar)
m
l
August 28, 2012 4:09:51 PM

Cat 12.6 FTW

bobusboy said:
AMD and Nvidia are just brands each have good cards but the biggest observable difference is usually in their drivers.

Nvidia typically has better drivers than ATI which means better stability and better frame rates. Both have bum drivers once in a while though.

I have recently used ATI cards because they've been the better value (performance to dollar)

m
l
!